All-Star The Bump/pouf

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Now that it's not late and I'm not on my phone... Here's a pic I found on google (not my CP) that is a good example of the pony/poof placement.
af7ede9796ca4af9540c217142ee19cc.jpg

When we do CP's hair, I separate out the section for the poof and then pull the super high pony. Next, we tease the hair for the poof. Tease it way more and way bigger than you think you need because smoothing and shaping it will shrink it. Next, begin shaping the poof by pulling the teased hair into a sort of oval/teardrop shape. At this point we use the teasing brush to smooth the top layer of the poof as we shape it. You can add the small rubber band here, but it doesn't work for us, so we just hold it with our fingers. Push the smoothed oval forward to get the height (like you see in the picture above) and pin it in. Then, we spray and gently smooth any more flyaways. We don't use much hairspray while we're working with the hair because it just messes it up and weighs it down. Once we've got it just like we like it we mist it well to hold it all together - but don't spray it so it gets wet.

After we have the poof finished, I take the poof tail and add it into the pony with another pony tail holder - just be careful not to pull the poof out of shape. Before we curl or tease the pony we add the bow. If the pony is high enough, the bow should stand up nicely. We use a couple of bobby pins behind the poof to keep the tails down. I also make sure the elastic on the bow is below the ones already holding the pony because that helps keep the pony higher and also reduces the risk of the bow coming off on the mat.

Everyone has different methods that work for them, but hopefully some of the tips will work for you!

I start off with sectioning out a good section for the poof (I usually did a square at the front of my hair where the ends lined up with the middle of my eyebrows) then I put all the leftover hair up into the pony, the I always started with the back while teasing, so start from the back tease it super big (like ridiculously big) and leave one small layer in the front where you do very light tease. I let it all go back and smooth it over with my hands first, then I take a rat tail comb and very gently smooth the top, then once it's how I like it, I push the poof forward, make some adjustments if needed, then pin like crazy (my hair does not like to stay in place for long periods of time so I used like 10 Bobby pins for my poof, this is absolutely not necessary) and I use the pins to help get the shape I want. Try using a teasing or texturing powder if your hair is super fine it'll help with the teasing process.

My CP has very fine hair. I do the same as @MyGirlCheers. I found some hairspray that is a quick dry spray. I got it at Sally Beauty Supply. So it doesn't weigh her hair down as much as regular hair spray. As I am teasing each section of the pouf I spray it and do a quick blast with a blow dryer. I also take a flat iron over each section. This takes longer to do, but it really helps set the hair spray. CP's hair is really fine and since I've been doing this her hair stays in place really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need help with this stupid thing. I tried a practice run with CP tonight. This is what we got.

Not bad I guess, much better than my first try last year. We didn't end up doing it very long last year and went to tight, slicked back ponies for the tinies. This year we're at least attempting them again.

I couldn't find my thing of Powder Play, but that's not my main issue. My main issue is the hair that goes over the top that looks all clean. How do I do that? CP's hair is super fine and staticy and the pony part I usually have to retease and spray a million times. I've watched videos on how to do both parts but her hair doesn't react the same way as the girls in the videos.

Help!

There's a couple of easy things you can do to make it easier:

1) like many others said, leave the very front section separate and don't tease this part at all

2) either place a clear elastic or bobby pins in the hair from the poof before it goes into the pony. This prevent the pony from pulling down the tease in your poof

3) make sure your pony is on top of the head and not just at the back of your head

4) when you're teasing, make sure to tease the most at the roots. The main bulk of the tease does not need to be more than around 5-7 inches in height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we're not allowed to compete with bobby pins, I always just use a clear elastic. It's a bit trickier than bobby pins, but it stays a lot better! Then a few tips is to put the pony higher, right on top of the head. And if you're not too against it I'd flat iron the pouf section, as it looks like it's a bit wonky because of natural waves. I've got curly hair, and I always straighten my pouf if I do one, even if I keep the rest of my hair curly. :)

As we're not allowed to compete with bobby pins, I always just use a clear elastic. It's a bit trickier than bobby pins, but it stays a lot better! Then a few tips is to put the pony higher, right on top of the head. And if you're not too against it I'd flat iron the pouf section, as it looks like it's a bit wonky because of natural waves. I've got curly hair, and I always straighten my pouf if I do one, even if I keep the rest of my hair curly. :)
Is it even possible to cheer without bobby pins? (Serious question)

Is it even possible to cheer without bobby pins? (Serious question)

Yes, in Sweden we have to make do. If you drop a bobby pin you get a safety deduction, the more you drop the more deductions! I don't know I rarely use them anyway, I'm not sure what you use all the bobby pins for?? Except for the pouf, but that's solvable with an elastic haha. :) If you just do a slick back high pony, would you still use bobby pins?

I can't poof CP's hair with just an elastic. It's just too fine to stay. I'm not sure how I would even go about doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, in Sweden we have to make do. If you drop a bobby pin you get a safety deduction, the more you drop the more deductions! I don't know I rarely use them anyway, I'm not sure what you use all the bobby pins for?? Except for the pouf, but that's solvable with an elastic haha. :) If you just do a slick back high pony, would you still use bobby pins?
In addition to using Bobby pins to hold my poof in place, I have Bobby pins on the ends of my bow so it doesn't go all over the place, and because I don't have overly long hair I have to have Bobby pins on the pack of my head to hold up all the little hairs. I could compete without Bobby pins but I would look like on hot mess.

I followed a girl from great whites YouTube video and it's great. Part of the problem is her pony is a bit far back than I like my athletes ponies. Think top of the ears and straight up so that the bow sits where Minnie Mouse ears would sit. I tease with a teasing brush, I also use dry shampoo (batiste), a small rubber band elastics like for corn rows for the poof too.

In addition to using Bobby pins to hold my poof in place, I have Bobby pins on the ends of my bow so it doesn't go all over the place, and because I don't have overly long hair I have to have Bobby pins on the pack of my head to hold up all the little hairs. I could compete without Bobby pins but I would look like on hot mess.

Yes, I use them for my bow, flyaways and bumps (in your ponytail)
And just to Belinda, if you have a bobby pin but it doesn't fall out is that still a deduction?

Yes, I use them for my bow, flyaways and bumps (in your ponytail)
And just to Belinda, if you have a bobby pin but it doesn't fall out is that still a deduction?

Oooh, yeah we just go hard on hair wax and spray to keep all that at bay haha! Nah as long as they're in your hair it's all good, but any coach I've had would never risk it!

Back