All-Star The Bump/pouf

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How on earth does anyone see a bobby pin fly out?? Those things are so tiny. I do always throw them off the mats though if I find them cos I don't want to put a hand on them tumbling.

Maybe if they're sparkly? I can always see specs of glitter and stuff from the seats. Or maybe they check the floor after each team. That would be a hassle though I think.

How on earth does anyone see a bobby pin fly out?? Those things are so tiny. I do always throw them off the mats though if I find them cos I don't want to put a hand on them tumbling.

Haha! They actually check the mats between each team...

We always have spotters, and they walk around on the floor after each team looking for bobby pins, bandaids, and whatever else people drop.

We always have spotters, and they walk around on the floor after each team looking for bobby pins, bandaids, and whatever else people drop.
That's some serious commitment! I swear the comp floor at the end of the day here is covered in more rhinestones and bobby pins and glitter than any cheerleader.

Sorry if this is veering too off-topic, but how do they ensure the correct team is charged with the bobby pin deduction? I'm having a hard time picturing how they can be that thorough between teams to say with certainty that it wasn't missed from an earlier performance? This is really bothering my sense-of-fairness gene, lol

I'm picturing a guy walking around the mat after each performance, waving a stick with a magnet attached to the end over the mat like a metal detector.
I'm imagining some guy before each team goes into warm ups throughly searching each persons hair for any Bobby pins and if he finds one he completely takes out their hair and then thy have to redo it

I was envisioning a guy w/extension magnet wand & someone else with a metal detector running around like nuts in between teams! STILL--that's a lot of mat to check & bobbies are so tiny! They might as well run the metal detector over pony tails while in warmups....

This is so fun to read since it's so obvious for us Swedes :p
Most teams just don't do poofs, some do braids etc. but most just do slicked back.

Theres 5 spotters who check the mat after each performance, which takes more time than teams actual performances.

How do you anchor it without Bobby pins??? I have never heard of Bobby pins being a no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the snap clips instead of Bobby pins on CP's hair and bow. They work really well.

@emo_wifey your CP's hair looks similar to my CP's. Mine has a high forehead, thin, fine hair & not a lot of it. We found poufs very hard to do. None of the videos helped because CP didn't have enough hair to separate out for the pouf and still get a high pony on her head.

I separated a small piece for the pouf and pulled the rest back into a pony. I took a small section to use for the front (as much as I could get to cover a fine layer, but usually ended up being only a few hairs). Then starting from the front I took small sections and sprayed and teased the hair working toward the back of her head (so the pieces were standing more upright as they dried). Once I had the pouf set I would comb over the few strands I left out for the front to cover the teased sections. I then used a small plastic band to secure the pouf (there wasn't anywhere to push it forward to because she didn't have enough hair). I added this to her high pony.

It never worked great, but was the best I could do. Even if it looked gorgeous it would fall later because she didn't have the volume of hair to support the pouf. I had friends say "I'll do her hair I'm good at poufs" only to hand her back and say "Sorry it was the best I could do. Her hair doesn't pouf." [emoji53]

Front braids also don't work for my cp.

I'm imagining some guy before each team goes into warm ups throughly searching each persons hair for any Bobby pins and if he finds one he completely takes out their hair and then thy have to redo it
Well... here it is call inspection and someone does search everyone's hair... and they check nails and piercings.

Well... here it is call inspection and someone does search everyone's hair... and they check nails and piercings.

Way back when I competed at Europeans, it was the same. Everyones head was searched for bobbypins, and if you didn't have any it was written down, so you couldn't get any deductions for them. After that we were checked for nail length and piercings. They also checked for visible tattoos (because those weren't allowed there either) and appropriate skirt length.

They used to do this for state and regionals in Missouri! I assume they still do. They also checked for hair ties on wrists and checked to make sure braces were soft, not hard.

They used to do this for state and regionals in Missouri! I assume they still do. They also checked for hair ties on wrists and checked to make sure braces were soft, not hard.

I never had my hair checked, but we were checked for hair ties, nails, jewelry, and metal braces!

Back