All-Star The Future Of Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The Future Of Tumbling
The Future Of Tumbling | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Interesting point about comparing the exhaustion of a cheer routine compared to an artistic gymnastic floor routine.

I definitely agree about coaches getting more training. (Maybe even a mandatory USASF tumbling coach training program??)

But 10, 20 years ago transitions in routines were much slower and athletes/coaches could not envision doing double twists AND doing more difficult stunts and faster transitions. Who knows how steep the progression curve for the cheer world will be in terms of skill difficulty.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Personally, I don't think the USASF will allow more than two twists and I don't think they should. There's much more of an emphasis on technique and perfection before progression in gymnastics than there is cheer. Gymnasts can safely do triples because they perfect their fulls and their doubles before they try triples. In cheerleading there's not that big of an emphasis on technique and I just don't think it would be a good idea to allow more than two twists in tumbling.

Since cheerleaders are neither penalized nor rewarded for sloppy/unsafe or correct technique, just stopping at a double is not going to make anyone's full better. If, however, there is a change in the scoresheet in which a clean full is more valuable than a sloppy double, we will see changes in choreo and, ultimately, training. Then simple passes to triple fulls won't be too far out of reach for cheerleaders who have been trained right from the start.

But as a side note, if judges have to address tumbling technique of all the passes, we either need more judges on a panel or less passes being thrown.

Since cheerleaders are neither penalized nor rewarded for sloppy/unsafe or correct technique, just stopping at a double is not going to make anyone's full better. If, however, there is a change in the scoresheet in which a clean full is more valuable than a sloppy double, we will see changes in choreo and, ultimately, training. Then simple passes to triple fulls won't be too far out of reach for cheerleaders who have been trained right from the start.

But as a side note, if judges have to address tumbling technique of all the passes, we either need more judges on a panel or less passes being thrown.

Might be an inherently negative point of view but if sloppy technique incurred heavy deductions it would do the same thing as rewarding clean skills.

They will always limit skills. They are the sole governing body and they have total control. Just like other corporations, or even government for that matter, they look for a quick answer to solve the problem rather than aiming for the real cause; in this case, it is injuries: "Limit what dangerous skills they can throw and less people will get injured." This is merely an easy way out. Injuries will always happen, regardless of restrictions placed on what you are allowed to showcase at a competition. Heck, I have seen the same amount, if not more severe injuries come from tucks and back handsprings. The problem with a blanket rule like that is they are basically saying, "Sure, I know you can do triples and double backs safely because you practice proper progression and have certified knowledgeable coaches, but these kids over here would get hurt if they tried so were just going to make it completely illegal." The problem lies, where I believe most people think it does, with coaches and progression. With more time spent on technique, a better, more aware tumbler has a chance to develop. That said, it is not an overall reason. Talented athletes, even elite gymnasts get hurt training skills. Why? Because when you are at an elite level for any sport that puts this type of pressure on the body, you will be subject to injury. 100% perfection would be amazing, but it isn't always possible. This is something that will need to be widely accepted. Elite tumbling is dangerous, period. Accidents happen, mistakes are made, and sometimes, injuries result. Limiting skills will not stop a dumb coach from forcing a girl to do a tuck who she thinks is ready, or telling a girl she must have her full by a certain time and forcing her to throw it no matter what. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time, but I am sure we have all seen it. Regardless, a bad coach, or a stupid tumbler should not stop the very elite from showcasing the hardest skills they can throw. I would love to see level 5 go to restricted 5, level 6 be a completely open level with no restrictions, and then a separate college level for the former level 6 teams to compete in. Lol, that will never happen.

Back