All-Star The Golden Oldies... The Old Cheer Trends.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 19, 2013
This is totally inspiration from my post in the Summer Musings thread... but does anyone remember those old cheer trends.

For years we did sponge curled hair. It was THE THING. Then those clip in hair pieces came out, and that was THE THING. Ugh, those clip in hair pieces--stringy, clip in, hot messes. Aww the olden days.

And before Nfinity's there were those cheer shoes that you could change the colors on (they came with those inserts)...

This is totally inspiration from my post in the Summer Musings thread... but does anyone remember those old cheer trends.

For years we did sponge curled hair. It was THE THING. Then those clip in hair pieces came out, and that was THE THING. Ugh, those clip in hair pieces--stringy, clip in, hot messes. Aww the olden days.

And before Nfinity's there were those cheer shoes that you could change the colors on (they came with those inserts)...

I coach rec. Those two things? Are still things. Sigh. I keep trying, and shall continue trying lo until the end of time, to change the culture. We're getting there, slowly but surely :)

For me, golden oldies are the things I started cheer with - white, pleated skirts with different colors in the middle of the pleats, letter sweaters (actual sweaters!), crotch snap turtleneck bodysuits, and those Kaepas with the snap-in triangles. Our competition hair was a straight french braid, with a 1" white ribbon tied at the end.

In other news, I'm old.

Jamfest at Kentucky Kingdom

The Fierce Board: if a team cheers and isn't talked about, does it still get a medal?

Banana preps between jumps. Music, cheer, music. Kaepa shoes with the triangles. I was also cheering when 'flyaway' skirts were introduced, and those were huge!!

Banana preps between jumps. Music, cheer, music. Kaepa shoes with the triangles. I was also cheering when 'flyaway' skirts were introduced, and those were huge!!
Kaepas are still (unfortunately) really common here! Clearly Britain is that backwards country everyone was talking about earlier...
And what is a banana prep!?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Almost completely changing the routine between every competition because the rules were different.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

The cheer team at my college STILL uses the cheer shoes that you can change the colors on.

Back