All-Star The Majors On Primetime Network Tv

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

kingston said:
Shame. We'd all get something we want and they could make an honest and decent profit. Nothing wrong with that.

I love when leaders of industries have true VISION and can make their companies thrive. When change is advocated and "thinking outside the box" is the norm. Then there are those industries that are led by close minded people who can't think past their fat wallets.

"Oh the Internet? That concept is too scary and may not generate the kind of revenue we have now" it's like their thoughts are broadcast along with their tv show.

Cheerleading doesn't bring in the revenue as any other sport.

The NBA lock out wasn't a big deal because grown men want to play basketball for fun.

I'd rather see cheer on the internet in HD

but so what? it's not about revenue, i know the reality. i mean in deservedness. if there can be dancing shows, and singing shows, and gymnastics meets, dog shows, etc. then cheerleading has every right to be on TV as well. it's no different from all the above mentioned things.

but so what? it's not about revenue, i know the reality. i mean in deservedness. if there can be dancing shows, and singing shows, and gymnastics meets, dog shows, etc. then cheerleading has every right to be on TV as well. it's no different from all the above mentioned things.

I beg to differ. The reality is that it is always about the revenue.

Networks are businesses. If there are enough viewers to be able to sell advertising space, then the networks are willing to pay the NFL, NBA, Olympics, etc for the ability to show their sports and THEY pick up the cost of producing the shows. If there are NOT millions of viewers, then sports like cheer essentially have to PAY the networks for airtime AND pay to have the shows produced.

The argument boils down to whether the sport gains enough from being on TV to justify the added cost to the athletes attending Worlds.

It isn't that I am opposed to cheer being on TV per se, it is just that it's cost far outweigh its benefits, IMO.

I disagree. I think the exposure of being on ESPN is worthwhile, but I don't have any L5 teams writing checks to go to Worlds.

I beg to differ. The reality is that it is always about the revenue.

Networks are businesses. If there are enough viewers to be able to sell advertising space, then the networks are willing to pay the NFL, NBA, Olympics, etc for the ability to show their sports and THEY pick up the cost of producing the shows. If there are NOT millions of viewers, then sports like cheer essentially have to PAY the networks for airtime AND pay to have the shows produced.

The argument boils down to whether the sport gains enough from being on TV to justify the added cost to the athletes attending Worlds.

... you're not getting my point.

I disagree. I think the exposure of being on ESPN is worthwhile, but I don't have any L5 teams writing checks to go to Worlds.

Not that I chat with every girl that comes to Rays, but I have yet (in my 7 years) to say they came to our gym because of anything they saw on TV. Or started cheering because of something they saw on TV.

Most of the new ones that are started at Rays come from word of mouth or local advertisement.

The last straw poll I took at practices with our level 5 teams they honestly knew VERY little about colleges or cheerleading or who is good. They were aware of Kentucky from TV but most thought GymTyme/U of L was a lot better and more talented. Most likely that is because of the fact that GT is involved in allstars and UK is not (I am not looking to start an argument on who is better, but just to show that information is limited and one sided).

Not to mention the culture of how we watch cheer is changing dramatically. Online videos and streaming dominate how most people get their cheerleading... even high schools. So NCA Dallas on at 3am on a Friday might cost 250,000k (I have no idea... just throwing out a number) but more people have probably watched the routines online a lot more.

Is the economic deal for Varsity to put their competitions on ESPN that bad? Is Varsity footing the bill for production (even though at Disney I bet some of that production equipment's parked at WWOS anyway), paying for clearance and giving ESPN the ad revenue? If so, then they're insane and deserve all the mockery they get for that kind of deal. My guess is that the agreement provides Varsity the ability to generate some revenue, but I obviously have no inside information to that end.

FSN's a different animal, because clearance on FSN is substantially cheaper than ESPN (lower-rated net) which means that even if Varsity's doing it as an infomercial they've got probably got some deal - which most shows who pay for clearance have - in that they get a percentage of ad revenue and/or get to sell some of the ad rights on their shows.

So my guess is that the economic deal isn't as one-sided as you might think it is, although it's probably not advantageous either.

Now all of this being said, I've tended to think that ESPN and FSN are the wrong markets for cheerleading competitions. You're not hitting the audience that might be interested in those types of shows. In a perfect world you'd get on a TV station that hits the 12-24 yo female demo, and the show might actually be compelling enough to a station like that to where you'd actually get someone to pay you rights fees, or at worst let you on for free with an ad revenue split type of deal.

Not that I chat with every girl that comes to Rays, but I have yet (in my 7 years) to say they came to our gym because of anything they saw on TV. Or started cheering because of something they saw on TV.

Most of the new ones that are started at Rays come from word of mouth or local advertisement.

The last straw poll I took at practices with our level 5 teams they honestly knew VERY little about colleges or cheerleading or who is good. They were aware of Kentucky from TV but most thought GymTyme/U of L was a lot better and more talented. Most likely that is because of the fact that GT is involved in allstars and UK is not (I am not looking to start an argument on who is better, but just to show that information is limited and one sided).

Not to mention the culture of how we watch cheer is changing dramatically. Online videos and streaming dominate how most people get their cheerleading... even high schools. So NCA Dallas on at 3am on a Friday might cost 250,000k (I have no idea... just throwing out a number) but more people have probably watched the routines online a lot more.

Do your new people get exposed to cheer, then realize Rays is the best option for them or is being exposed to Rays the way the figure out cheer is the best option for them?

I agree online is how cheerleaders get their cheerleading fix, but how do new, non-cheer people get exposed to cheer?

Do your new people get exposed to cheer, then realize Rays is the best option for them or is being exposed to Rays the way the figure out cheer is the best option for them?

I agree online is how cheerleaders get their cheerleading fix, but how do new, non-cheer people get exposed to cheer?

Locally through their community. I think it is a long held belief that little susie was cruising the the channels and RANDOMLY found competition cheerleading and got interested. I am sure there are instances where that has happened... but to believe there is a large chunk of the industry motivated by that? I bet most people who have no experience get involved in a few ways:

- Pretty much everyone knows that cheerleading exists (and most think it is in a sideline form). They join a small peewee or rec team and somehow through their dealings with the rec team they discover all-star.
- They have a friend or family member who told them about how awesome all-star is.
- They decide to join school cheer in middle or high and then become involved just because
- they decide to take a tumbling class cause they think flips are cool or they want to be shawn johnson and gymnastics is too much commitment.

Cheerleading is the fastest growing sport. Do I think it is because they have been showing cheer on ESPN for the past 15 years? Nah.

I agree with everything you all are saying. I don't think being on ESPN helps really. STILL, part of me wants to keep Worlds on ESPN, and I think it's mostly for proving a point. It's not really logical, but I would be really upset to see it go.

Back