All-Star The Majors Teams & Event Talk

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I really have to disagree. I believe this perception comes from a few gyms and their fans. There's thousands of gyms out there that are beyond proud to receive a silver or bronze medal, rank top ten, or even attend Worlds.

And in my very humble opinion, this whole Worlds isn't special anymore and "it's not fair if we lose Worlds" is a big campaign to discredit the event.
Perhaps. I think Worlds is STILL special otherwise people wouldn't be fighting to get releases so they can go, planning huge trips to go as a spectator, or have a routine goal in mind, etc. There are times though where I think people feel that 'having' a level 5 team MEANS you will be going to worlds, where it was once having a level 5 team was an accomplishment and then making it to Worlds was a HUGE honor. Do I think things need to be straightened out with it? Sure. But I'm willing to give it more than a few years to find out what formula works for what our industry brings to the table..things change and grow, so it's going to take a while.

On the Majors- I think this was a HUGE change to the industry, and I LOVED it. I watched nothing of it, I wasn't there (I had work, so it was pointless to pay for a feed I'd only watch an hour of :() but the whole concept sounded AWESOME. I can't see what tweaks they bring to it next year..

I agree and while I probably will never have a child compete at Worlds, I still LOVE the event and enjoy supporting my other cheer kids. Likewise, I would be more supportive of the Majors if I didn't feel like there was a hidden motive behind it.

Market competition is great and I hope Jamfest is doing this with intentions that are about making the sport better. However, we all have heard the rumors and I am worried that the Majors is an event being backed by gym owners that are disgruntled with the USASF/Worlds and want to create another competition that they can exert control that benefits their gyms alone. Again, this is my opinion and I hope I am wrong.

I don't think the INDUSTRY says that..but I feel like it's becoming the underground perception. Like it's World Champs or you're THAT other team..

Then the owners/coaches need to work harder on not making it end all be all. It is an honor to obtain the bid and attend Worlds.

Then the owners/coaches need to work harder on not making it end all be all. It is an honor to obtain the bid and attend Worlds.
Different teams have different expectations. You can't simply say that defending World Champions should simply be happy to be there the next year regardless of how they finish. That is not remotely realistic. Should coaches manage their teams' expectations to something realistic? Yes. Should athletes try to handle excitement or disappointment with class and dignity? Yes. Should we try to pretend that every team should be happy no matter how the results turn out? No.

Likewise, I would be more supportive of the Majors if I didn't feel like there was a hidden motive behind it.

Market competition is great and I hope Jamfest is doing this with intentions that are about making the sport better. However, we all have heard the rumors and I am worried that the Majors is an event being backed by gym owners that are disgruntled with the USASF/Worlds and want to create another competition that they can exert control that benefits their gyms alone. Again, this is my opinion and I hope I am wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I know, Jamfest was the only one "backing" the event. We attended because we thought it would be great for our teams and our program, not because of some hidden agenda to overthrow the USASF overlords.

Different teams have different expectations. You can't simply say that defending World Champions should simply be happy to be there the next year regardless of how they finish. That is not remotely realistic. Should coaches manage their teams' expectations to something realistic? Yes. Should athletes try to handle excitement or disappointment with class and dignity? Yes. Should we try to pretend that every team should be happy no matter how the results turn out? No.

My comment was blunt and didn't come out right. Coaches/owners need to manage teams' expectations and also promote winning/losing with grace then maybe the perception "they suck" by the athletes or fans themselves won't occur.

I agree with the above post that it is pretty much the other way around. In practically every sport, you pay to play. Even in school sports, you may not pay directly to play, but you are paying through tuition or taxes.

I stand corrected. I don't know about hidden agendas. I know how seeing the a competition make a point of honoring the athletes, made us feel, because I was there. I know how competing against a CA made my CP feel, because she told me. She was honored to be considered in their class. I said the word "suck", to make a point. Of course the team doesn't suck. But it has become "the end all and be all" of a season. Also, with as many teams as attend worlds - either at large or paid, the perception that it is a "special honor" for the "best in the sport", especially here in the US, is slipping. Something new, doesn't necessarily have to be suspicious.

I stand corrected. I don't know about hidden agendas. I know how seeing the a competition make a point of honoring the athletes, made us feel, because I was there. I know how competing against a CA made my CP feel, because she told me. She was honored to be considered in their class. I said the word "suck", to make a point. Of course the team doesn't suck. But it has become "the end all and be all" of a season. Also, with as many teams as attend worlds - either at large or paid, the perception that it is a "special honor" for the "best in the sport", especially here in the US, is slipping. Something new, doesn't necessarily have to be suspicious.

BTW...Congratulations to Panthers and Senior Coed Elite on their Majors victory. My eldest spent the summer abroad and I know that the opportunity to travel will change their lives in ways that will last long after their cheer careers are over! Such an amazing experience, all because of Allstar cheerleading! No matter how anyone feels about The Majors, you cannot deny that for a young person to get to go to UK, because of something they love, is a great thing! Congratulations again!

You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I know, Jamfest was the only one "backing" the event. We attended because we thought it would be great for our teams and our program, not because of some hidden agenda to overthrow the USASF overlords.

Plus, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't all the teams who attended medaled at Worlds?

Maybe the one's who are starting the rumors about hidden agenda's are the one's who weren't invited??? IJS.....

Sounds like it was a great event and sounds like the kids and parents had a great time. Congrats to all the winners!!!

From my close observation, the athletes had a great time as did the fans. It was a blast! The event had a "Worlds" feel to it because there was a sense of exclusivity for both the participants and the audience. It seemed that everyone fed off of each other's energy and that there was GREAT support for every team on stage. Well done by all!

Game Changer..with endless possibilities of ripple effect in the free market.. All of which will benefit athletes at all levels...their experience, and their love of the sport. Allstar Cheerleading makes a sharp move every five years or so.. Almost always due to an out of the box concept.. we historically sway between moving towards all being similar and then run the other direction to seek innovation and creativity. This event in the current cookie cutter environment struck a homerun the other direction. Our parents, kids, and coaches loved it.. A direct quote from a ten year veteran parent =. I haven't been this excited and optimistic about cheerleading since my very first season. Cheerleading just became half spectator sport + half Justin Bieber concert. The future always belongs to those with who believe in the power of their dreams.

At the Majors?
Marlins and Fame SS haven't medaled.

Ahh...true. I remember now that the Marlins haven't...but I do remember all 4 of their stellar performances lol!

I didn't know about Fame. I haven't been around the industry long enough. Thanks :)

Like I said, if I don't know something for sure, I'll put a disclaimer!

The title of "World Champions" is the primary reason that many teams are attracted to the USASF event. As the USASF has decreed that the USASF is the only event anywhere that can call itself a "World Championship" (without serious punishment for the athletes or EPs involved) no one will "replace" Worlds any time soon. Having a monopoly on that title insures that USASF Worlds will remain a sought-after event for many teams. That is not to say that other events could not surpass Worlds in terms of prestige, venue quality, production quality, or value/cost ratio. (Prestige would easily be the most difficult to overcome.)

Many other sports have non-"World Championship" titles that are at least as important to the participants as the "World Championship" event run directly by the sport's governing body. Olympics is the most obvious example for many sports. (Some sports use the Olympics as their "World Championship" for that year, but some have separate events.) Quick examples that come to mind:

Tour de France
The Masters
Wimbledon
Boston Marathon
Indy 500

This strikes as potentially one of those type events for all star cheer. (NCA is already there in many athletes' mind.)

Back