All-Star The One Thing I Despise About The Olympics...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 23, 2011
I know this isn't a very "cheer related" thread but this has been irking me since the Olympics started;
Am I the only one who doesn't think it's fair that athlete's who work their butts off for 4 years get literally 17 days in the spotlight...with no huge salaries when athletes who whine and demand 100 million dollar salaries get to be in the spot light year round...Im sorry I'd rather idolize any of the 500+ no name athletes than some stupid basketball or baseball player anyday.

Please tell me I'm not the only one!!!

You aren't. Its the exact reason why I'm so annoyed that NBA and NHL players are allowed to compete for their countries. Its supposed to be about amature athletes, no LeBron or Sydney Crosby.
i disagree. the Olympics is about the best of the best competing against each other whether they're professional or amateur.

i disagree. the Olympics is about the best of the best competing against each other whether they're professional or amateur.
There are sports where once you're considered 'professional' (figure skating comes to mind) you are no longer eligible for Olympic/amature competition. The second you take cash for a service and don't put it into your training, you're eligibility goes out the window.

I don't see why it should be any different for other sports.

And no, the Olympics are not just about the best of the best. I've had more joy watching the Nigerian rower and Turkmenistan's Jennet Saryyeva. The spirit of the Olympics is about so much more than the medals.

If that were the case in all sports, jordyn weiber would not have been able to compete in this Olympics because she is considered professional. And i agree that its fun to watch underdog, amateur athletes in the olympics but in the end it is still a competition. I don't think athletes who get paid have any less of a right to be there, they work just as hard.

It doesn't bother me, any of it. It's how it is. If the Olympic athletes wanted fame and fortune, they'd be doing something else. If they wanted more than 17 days of recognition, they could try out for senior elite or something ;)

It doesn't bother me, any of it. It's how it is. If the Olympic athletes wanted fame and fortune, they'd be doing something else. If they wanted more than 17 days of recognition, they could try out for senior elite or something ;)
That Olympic gold though will carry then way into the future earning potential wise. Aside from the immediate endorsements, there are appearances, books, clothing lines, the possibilities are endless if they have a smart PR person and they keep their image marketable. We just saw Kristi Yamaguchi in a tv commercial the other day with her own kids (or children hired to play her kids). When did she win the gold?

NEWS FLASH: Ever athlete you see in a commercial gets paid! Everytime you see an athlete at a meet/greet or signing event, they are getting paid. Swimming, Track, Volleyball, soccer etc. most of these athlete compete in events that pay them. They all have sponsors, that pay them. Those 17 days of recognition, will turn an everyday person into a millionaire.

Also, which of these olympic sports would you want to watch year round??

No one gets your sarcasm! Hahah but I do!

A lot of those big athletes are professionals in their sport. The difference between them and NBA athletes is that their games are just televised. The NBA is equivelent to the USAG. They make the rules and the athletes compete under them.

Honestly, if you choose to participate in an Olympic sport, you know the deal in advance. If you're lucky, you get to be one of the elite that compete every four years and get fame and notoriety because of it. There are plenty of athletes in these types of sports that work just as hard and spend years trying to reach that summit, only to fall short.

I don't think ya'll are getting what Im talking about

Im not so mad that Lebron gets to compete in the olympics its more like this; kieran began...irish gymnast he literally worked as hard as anyone could possibly work just so he could compete at the olympics...his family had bake sales and scraped every penny just so he could have his moment...someone like lebron james demands millions upon millions of dollars to play a game for a living. In my eyes he isn't playing a sport because he loves it...hes playing because its giving him a 7 figure salary and a diva personality...I have 100x more respect for kieran began then I will ever have for some basketball player who thinks they are the second coming of jesus...

Back