Remember the high school
Updated rules were
Released
Before yours they have taken a great # of skills away the past two
Years - tumbling and basket
Tosses will be
On the chopping block next in my
Opinion

For those of you oooofffended by the thought that high school coaches are not all that great, how many of your high school coaches have the ability to teach a standing full?

For those of you oooofffended by the thought that high school coaches are not all that great, how many of your high school coaches have the ability to teach a standing full?
In my county 1 - me. Thats it. In my county only 2 kids (unless on a separate allstar team) are even working standing fulls. Both are on my team. None of the other school coaches know how, but they also don't pretend to or try have their athletes practice/compete them. However I don't think that is the point. There are a lot of great coaches that cannot teach standing fulls and a lot of bad ones that can. The ability to teach a standing full doesn't translate over into all areas of coaching and knowing when and how much to push an athlete.

I know this thread wasn't to bash on school teams and it was just pointing out that its unfair. I get it. I agree with it! I also think its unfiar that allstars can double down and schools can't anymore. I'm not in favor of the new rules for either group. I can still take offense to it though because it seems that high schools are constantly put down on this board and in real life and it seems it's acceptable to do so.

Mine does. Haha. She threw them at practice sometimes for fun :p She did not teach them, however, because, quite frankly, it was a waste of time. Standing fulls in high school will not make you or break you on the competition floor, like it will in level 5 for allstar. In allstar, level 5 teams feel the pressure to add more standing fulls in order to keep up with the competition causing many unprepared athletes to attempt this skill and get hurt. I'd like to see the number of high school cheerleaders injuring themselves on standing fulls and bounding skills versus the number of allstar athletes. And since high school cheerleaders outnumber allstar 20 to 1, theoretically, the high school number should be greater, but somehow I doubt it...

Most high school coaches that are not well trained in progressions are pushing for bhs, running bhs, standing tucks or running tucks, they are not pushing for standing or running fulls. There a very few high schools that are trying to get majority running fulls and even less that are pushing for standing fulls. So although high school teams are allowed to do standing fulls very few are competed. I can only think of a couple here in IL and cheer is VERY competitive here!!

My coach can and our tumbling coach can and he is at every practice, so just in our program we have 2.
I do no agree with the rules. i think it is ridiculous that high schools can do standing fulls but allstar cannot and i also think it is unfair that allstars can double down and high schools cannot.

where I come from there's maybe two high school teams that take cheer seriously.the rest of the teams have girls that are in it for the skirts and have a Max of level 3 skills since they don't care whether or not they practice as long as they can wear their uniforms to school on Fridays. So personally I don't think that they deserve the credit.

And you have the right to think that. However, that does not change the fact that some high school are more talented and DO in fact deserve the credit.

where I come from there's maybe two high school teams that take cheer seriously.the rest of the teams have girls that are in it for the skirts and have a Max of level 3 skills since they don't care whether or not they practice as long as they can wear their uniforms to school on Fridays. So personally I don't think that they deserve the credit.
agree

I will point out that the majority of high school people in here have some relation to allstar AND, in turn, their area probably uses allstar coaches as lay coaches for their high school.

Remember that represents only about 5% of the high schools out there. The rest are not so lucky.

Make high school top out at level 3. Suddenly high school is safer and you give people are reason to come to allstar. Bam, fixed the industry.

I will point out that the majority of high school people in here have some relation to allstar AND, in turn, their area probably uses allstar coaches as lay coaches for their high school.

Remember that represents only about 5% of the high schools out there. The rest are not so lucky.

Make high school top out at level 3. Suddenly high school is safer and you give people are reason to come to allstar. Bam, fixed the industry.
Which, in fact, still allows double downs from prep. The more basic HS teams can place themselves somewhere in there without having to do crazy skills (they still may not win, but they'll at least stop attempting crazy stuff except braced inversions?!), and the more advanced HS kids can do allstar if they want to do more advanced stuff after they've reached their potential! (Or if they don't like HS, want to do both, etc)

Which, in fact, still allows double downs from prep. The more basic HS teams can place themselves somewhere in there without having to do crazy skills (they still may not win, but they'll at least stop attempting crazy stuff except braced inversions?!), and the more advanced HS kids can do allstar if they want to do more advanced stuff after they've reached their potential! (Or if they don't like HS, want to do both, etc)

The thing you have to remember is that the ability to tell one is bad at something is directly related to how good you are at it.

The better and more skilled you are the more aware you are of how bad (or not bad) you are.

Not good coaches don't know they aren't good coaches. And do not know they should not be doing or teaching that stuff. So how do you fix THOSE coaches?

To throw in a wrinkle if you mandate certification you increase their knowledge, which is good, but you are asking for funds that do not exist AND certification is basically useless. We already said it takes months of tutelage to learn to properly teach the high level skills.

To throw in a wrinkle if you mandate certification you increase their knowledge, which is good, but you are asking for funds that do not exist AND certification is basically useless. We already said it takes months of tutelage to learn to properly teach the high level skills.

Why can't they just charge for the certifications? Anything that is licensed/certified requires a fee system that funds it. This isn't rocket science or even reinventing the wheel! Millions of industries have certification/licensee programs that are self sustaining. Why is everyone so willing to accept that this industry can't set up and sustain this?? Will it cost more money to the consumer? Yes, but I can see it being nominal when spread out, $10-20 more per athlete??? Some gyms have 2-3 coaches some have 20+, both are supported by how many athletes are at their gym. Even if the gyms don't pay for the individual coaches. Coaches that want to get/stay hired by a gym could pay for their own. Many "state boards" or even software certifications are paid for by the professionals that are wanting to get hired in their industries.

This will take some logistical planning and set up but seems like common sense and a must in the long run to me. I just don't understand why everyone else thinks this is all impossible and un-fundable?

This is for the real safety of children, not a flimsy facade, why is everyone so resistant to this and willing to throw in the towel that it can't be done???

Reallycoolcheermommy Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't they just charge for the certifications? Anything that is licensed/certified requires a fee system that funds it. This isn't rocket science or even reinventing the wheel! Millions of industries have certification/licensee programs that are self sustaining. Why is everyone so willing to accept that this industry can't set up and sustain this?? Will it cost more money to the consumer? Yes, but I can see it being nominal when spread out, $10-20 more per athlete??? Some gyms have 2-3 coaches some have 20+, both are supported by how many athletes are at their gym. Even if the gyms don't pay for the individual coaches. Coaches that want to get/stay hired by a gym could pay for their own. Many "state boards" or even software certifications are paid for by the professionals that are wanting to get hired in their industries.

This will take some logistical planning and set up but seems like common sense and a must in the long run to me. I just don't understand why everyone else thinks this is all impossible and un-fundable?

This is for the real safety of children, not a flimsy facade, why is everyone so resistant to this and willing to throw in the towel that it can't be done???

Because it takes money to create it, a network to support it, the infrastructure to make it work.

You think I am saying it is impossible. No, it is not. But there isn't the ability to get this accomplished now or anytime soon. Cheerleading is HIGHLY disorganized. Heck I saw a video from last high school competition season with back tuck baskets. In 2012.... a high school did back tuck baskets. Those haven't been legal in 20 years!

Coming up with ideas to fix things isn't as hard as thinking of ways those ideas could actually work.

Because it takes money to create it, a network to support it, the infrastructure to make it work.

You think I am saying it is impossible. No, it is not. But there isn't the ability to get this accomplished now or anytime soon. Cheerleading is HIGHLY disorganized. Heck I saw a video from last high school competition season with back tuck baskets. In 2012.... a high school did back tuck baskets. Those haven't been legal in 20 years!

Coming up with ideas to fix things isn't as hard as thinking of ways those ideas could actually work.

I agree that it can't be implemented in a day like these rules were or that it would be easy but with some hard work and planning...
The funds should be able to come from the fee's and if they were interested in providing workshops for training....
The network to organize and support this should be the USASF, otherwise, I agree that there isn't a lot of use for them or EP's to be sanctioned by them.

There are so many highly intelligent, educated people in this industry, I don't think this is above us being able to figure this out and implement. If anything, I can see this as another way to make more profit while making this sport safer and more organized. Seems like a win/win for everyone. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back