All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Your comment was insensitive. Its not always what you say but how you say it.

Agreed. Lots of my comments in this thread have been insensitive. I'm angry.

(not saying it's ok - it's not. Just saying I know. And ftr, it's not OK for anyone to be insensitive and rude - there have been plenty of insensitive comments from both sides. Was it just my one comment, out of this whole thread, that you found insensitive?)

Just to clarify why I said I still disagree with this whole thing:

That doesn't include only "power over the whole universe." Smaller microcosms of a society can still be looked at. You can be in power just as someone's supervisor and be a sexist too. You can be in power just to the extent of where you put them in a restaurant - still sexist. Sexism is not "men oppressing women" - women can be sexist too. Adding the word power does not negate whole groups of people from being able to have the -ism attached to them.

Old people can be ageist, but so can young people.

And on and on. So that is what I'm disagreeing with - that adding the word power absolves any race from being able to be racist.
Like how here in America Christians have a lot of power, yet in certain countries right now there are Christians being beheaded and stoned to death (which is why when I see Fox "News" screaming about Christian oppression I get really really angry- there are people ACTUALLY dying due to their faith).

Oh absolutely- sexism goes both ways. Saying guys are only allowed to do certain things or they're not "manly" or even just decrying them for not being "manly men"- that's sexist too! Anyone is capable of hatred/prejudice towards another human being for a variety of reasons, and sometimes people even forget the reasons. Speaking in this vein- My job is mostly made up of Turkish people, various Hispanic people (Ecuadorian, Peruvian, etc), with a smattering of Russians and the rest a variety of colors/groups. I've heard various comments from Hispanics about Blacks Americans, Blacks Americans about Indians, Turks about Russians, Hispanics about my Italian-ness etc. Hatred and disrespect knows no color or country.

I'm curious about one thing- you vaguely mentioned a scenario in one of your previous posts about the public school system (I'm guessing in your area). Would you mind sharing or pointing me towards an article? It seems to be a very particular thing you have in mind and I'd like to know the frame of reference. It might help me/others understand your POV.

ETA: I wish I could afford pearls to clutch :(

Last edited:
Agreed. Lots of my comments in this thread have been insensitive. I'm angry.

(not saying it's ok - it's not. Just saying I know. And ftr, it's not OK for anyone to be insensitive and rude - there have been plenty of insensitive comments from both sides. Was it just my one comment, out of this whole thread, that you found insensitive?)
Absolutley not, but yours stuck out the most. To question someone that has first hand experience in situations that left wounds that America as an entity hasn't fully recovered from was extremely insenesitive.

Absolutley not, but yours stuck out the most. To question someone that has first hand experience in situations that left wounds that America as an entity hasn't fully recovered from was extremely insenesitive.

Sorry, I don't think questioning anyone about anything is insensitive especially when you're in the middle of a debate/discussion.

This wasn't a "poor me" meeting for everyone to just release anguish. There was back and forth with people making statements that they intended to be in favor of their point of view or argument. Those get questioned especially on a message board.

Sorry, I don't think questioning anyone about anything is insensitive especially when you're in the middle of a debate/discussion.

This wasn't a "poor me" meeting for everyone to just release anguish. There was back and forth with people making statements that they intended to be in favor of their point of view or argument. Those get questioned especially on a message board.
Do you ask someone who labels themeself a war veteran do you cross check all of their information just to verify their enlistment ? No you don't because it is insensitive.

Last edited:
Do you ask someone who labels themeself a war veteran do you cross check all of their information just to verify their enlistment etc? No you don't because it is insensitive.

If I didn't know them and we were having a debate on a message board, I absolutely would ask.

Lots of things get said on boards that aren't entirely true.

And often, people will say things specifically because they know most people won't challenge them.

And I also reject all of the arguments along the lines of "you aren't _______ so you don't get to have an opinion."

Sorry, as of this morning, it's still the USA and I still get to have any opinion I want.

I said earlier that offending people isn't (mostly) illegal, so if I feel strongly about something, I'll risk offending someone.

If I didn't know them and we were having a debate on a message board, I absolutely would ask.

Lots of things get said on boards that aren't entirely true.

And often, people will say things specifically because they know most people won't challenge them.
I understand your point, but its just not something I would do just because I dont know what that person has gone through.

I understand your point, but its just not something I would do just because I dont know what that person has gone through.

No, you don't. But I don't want to be arguing with someone that has pretended to have gone through something, if I can help it.

I enjoy a good discussion and even better, a good debate... I would rather someone tell me what they are thinking than to walk away confuse...:confused: I am known by most people to be a voracious debater, who I am kidding, I will argue a point until the other person is beating into submission and Just-a-Mom strikes me as just the same or mirror this statement, but not in a bad way, of course....:deadhorse:(Whew, Just-a-Mom, please don't beat me up over saying this...lol)

I strongly believe, that you learn the most by discussions and debating of topics...I've grown to have a thick skin, matter of fact, my skin is as thick and hard as the leather on last year's NCA jackets...hahaha Even though the topic had taken so many routes, I learned a lot from reading the different posting - After reading some postings, I found myself during research to learn more about some of the topics, the postings are really piquing my interest... about other culturals experiences in the US

Last edited:
Ok. So back to the original picture... How does how those girls dressed negatively portray your race? I just went back and looked at it again. I do not see any girls dressed up portraying a race other than their own. I am from California... We have "gangsters" of EVERY race. And yes, what you see in that picture is the stereotypical view of how gangster and gangster-wanna-be's dress out here. Sure, maybe the pregnancy thing was a bit too much...but again, I have seen pregnant teen girls of every race (and, ok, I will admit to dressing as a pregnant nun on roller skates one year in college for Halloween ---)

So I guess what I am wanting to understand is how is this group offending any particular race? I see it as a jab at all. Again, I understand that is part of where I live, how I was raised and my life experiences here in California.

I'm curious about one thing- you vaguely mentioned a scenario in one of your previous posts about the public school system (I'm guessing in your area). Would you mind sharing or pointing me towards an article? It seems to be a very particular thing you have in mind and I'd like to know the frame of reference. It might help me/others understand your POV.

ETA: I wish I could afford pearls to clutch :(

(amen to affording pearls...)

OK, this is long, because it's hard to explain.

Elite CPS high schools need to reconsider race as factor - Chicago Sun-Times

This article is an opinion piece. If you Google Chicago public schools, and race, and selective enrollment you will get more. I picked this because it's short, and flat out states that up until 2010 race was a factor in determining entrance to these schools, as opposed to just scores. And that based on a supreme Court ruling, that system was done away with.

Facts to keep in mind:
-The new system has increased the number of white students in these schools. Obviously this benefits my family, so my bias is clear.
-The new system is awful, unfair, and just as race based and corrupt as the old one. I don't know how to fix it - but I do know it's still unfair.
-These schools are selective enrollment, which means you have to test into them. They are still, however, PUBLIC SCHOOLS. There is supposed to be fair and equal access to them. Up until 2010, if you were black you could score up to 100 points lower on the tests and get in, over a white child that scored higher. Under the new system, the same is true, except instead of black/white, they've divided it by socioeconomic factors and neighborhood. This is more in alignment with how all of the US segregates schools, but is no less race based. This system is obviously flawed, but I'm not sure how to make it fair. The desirable schools are not in bad neighborhoods, and those kids are coming from cr@ppy schools - so it is more difficult for them to score well on these tests (think SATs on a smaller scale). I don't know that a score only system would give them fair access, so I see why we have a system - I just don't like the system we have.

The only reason I brought it up is because it is a very clear example of non-white people in a position of power deciding to intentionally withhold a right from white people. I don't see how this is not racist (*the majority of people in power in Chicago - the city leaders and the people who make decisions, policies, and laws - are non-white. Less than 50% of the population of the city is white, making whites not the majority here. Not offensive, regardless of how people take it - this is an actual statistic. There are more minorities in Chicago than white people. Again, oxymoron. However, the point is, the power for THIS decision was not solely in the hands of rich white people)

I'm not asking if the system is right or fair, or anything else. All I asked is how is this NOT RACISM. People in power choosing to deny someone something based on their race, and no other factors.

I don't even know that I think it's not OK - I want all kids in Chicago to have access to good schools, and I spend a lot of time and effort fighting for free, fair, and equal education for every kid in this city. I see that the setup of schools is garbage, meant to intentionally deny access to poor minority children (geographically). What I don't see is how denying white children access is any less racist. So, only in response to "black people can't be racist," I think this is ONE example of they can.

Back