All-Star Thoughts On Cheerlebrities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've seen some posts from these videographers and photographers that are more well known for doing these things and to me, on social media, some of them do come across creepy and stalkerish. How many times do we have to see them say how "beautiful" and "wonderful" and "gorgeous" etc. the cheerleaders are that they are referring to. Just ew. These are grown men!
Have had same conversation with other parents.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat

the only videos i like are the 2by2 videos, however i wish they would video other programs... i also dont get how that really works, does the athlete pay him to follow them around all season or does the gym, cause he's been taking video of CA athletes for so long and nothing else for the past cheer season or two.
As someone else said, he also does Stingrays. Jay and his wife got into by videoing his daughter's team at CEA. I think he started as a TV cameraman. If he still does it the same, he has so many individual slots and team slots. The parents pay for individuals. I guess the costs would be split among the team for team videos. I know his wife also works the cameras. I don't know if he has any other employees now.

The first time I really met him was when he asked me in warm ups (I was the team mom) who a certain girl was because her parents were surprising her with a video. I pointed her out and so the rest of the season we were pretending he was shooting other girls or the team for the year-end video. They are extremely nice and he puts a lot of care into the videos.

I've see posts from these videographers ad photographers that are more well known for doing these things and to me, on social media, some of them do come across creepy and stalkerish. How many times do we have to see them say how "beautiful" and "wonderful" and "gorgeous" etc. the cheerleaders are that they are referring to. Just ew. These are grown men!
Glad to know others feel the same way! I had a discussion with my 17 year old about it - we looked at some of the comments by these GROWN men - a very uneasy feeling! If those comments were posted by any other man of that age people/parents would be investigating the intentions!

I could not agree more and have felt this way for a long time but didn't post anything because everyone seems to think some of this video guys walk on water. A grown man should not be tagging an underage athlete in a tweet with the hashtag #wcw, Just eww. Or posting multiple times a day about how beautiful or wonderful a 16 year old girl is. I used to really enjoy the videos but now they have become ways for people to pimp out their kid to become the next big thing.
@BowCat You were lucky enough to be surrounded by some of the greatest kids in the sport. There is a huge difference between a CA Cheerlebrity vs. a CEA cheerlebrity vs. a Cali one. I think that all comes down to the coaching and the expectations they have for their kids on social media.
I saw one of the #wcw tweets; it was a jaw dropping moment - beyond unacceptable! If a grown booty man #wcw my high school or younger daughter - I wouldn't be the only one he heard from about such inappropriate behavior! Parents would NOT accept this type of "attention" to their daughters by a school teacher or athletic coach, but because it is someone producing an awesome video of them it's ok to speak in such a way? There are young girls (and boys) being trafficked every day - responsible adults have an obligation to know how to conduct themselves when dealing with minors!

I fully believe that anyone who has reached "cheerlebrity" status these days has taken steps to put themselves there. There's nothing wrong with knowing a lot of people and having friends from all over, that's part of what make cheerleading so great. But if you look at the cheerleaders who have achieved the biggest "stardom" I guess you could say, it's ones who have done things to put themselves in that position. This isn't an insult to any of them, I just find it to be true across the board. There are girls and boys on well known and successful teams who are just as talented/good looking (the prerequisites these days) and still fly under the radar.

Basically I'm saying in my opinion it's totally possible to prevent yourself or your CP from becoming a cheerleb.
I'm not sure about this. I know individuals on a well known team that do their best to fly under the radar. They are very uncomfortable being pursued by "fans" etc. and desire no personal fame. But by virtue of their team association, they are still subjected to being mobbed etc. They have no anonymity whatsoever. Yet, they just want to cheer, they are are freaked out by the whole fan thing.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

^This. I saw that same post but it was via Facebook because someone else shared it. It honestly makes me so sick that a cheerleb would promote diet pills. Yes I realize that they may be using it to pay their cheer fees, but do they not realize that so many of their followers are little girls?? What kind of message are you sending to them? As much as I hate the whole cheerleb thing, their fan should be used as role models.
I don't think all of the athletes recognize that with fame comes responsibilities. And that's regardless of whether you actively sought fame or came by it accidentally (team association etc.). It's incumbent that both parents and coaches impart this fact to the athletes and ensure that they manage their fame in a responsible manner. If they don't do so they should have their social media shut down. Too much harm can come from a well known athlete behaving badly.

^^Yes! By and large, they are generally only "mobbed" at cheer events.

For every cheer kid I have who is like "omg Suzie Smoed!" I have quite a few (mostly school cheer kids not into the all star scene) who could see Suzie Smoed or Chelsea Cheetahs walking down the street and have no clue who they're looking at.
I find it interesting that there are no Cheerlebrities in the gym, just cheerleaders. At the gym we attend all egos are left outside the gym doors. If, by chance you forget and bring your ego with you into the gym, the coaches are more than willing to humble your ego back out the door. Any cheerlebrity fame comes from outside of the gym. I've always assumed this was the case with almost all gyms. Has anyone experienced otherwise ? Do any of the gyms (don't use names) give preferential treatment to their gym Cheerlebrities ? If so, does it result in a lot of resentment from the other cheerleaders ? If a gym Cheerlebrity endorsed products and self promoted, how do you think they would be treated by their fellow teammates (I know this is strictly speculative) ? Just wondering.

I find it interesting that there are no Cheerlebrities in the gym, just cheerleaders. At the gym we attend all egos are left outside the gym doors. If, by chance you forget and bring your ego with you into the gym, the coaches are more than willing to humble your ego back out the door. Any cheerlebrity fame comes from outside of the gym. I've always assumed this was the case with almost all gyms. Has anyone experienced otherwise ? Do any of the gyms (don't use names) give preferential treatment to their gym Cheerlebrities ? If so, does it result in a lot of resentment from the other cheerleaders ? If a gym Cheerlebrity endorsed products and self promoted, how do you think they would be treated by their fellow teammates (I know this is strictly speculative) ? Just wondering.

They are in some gyms. Sometimes they are given preferential treatment. Some kids resent it. Some teammates like it, some don't. Some times practice time is interrupted for signings and pictures. Is it everywhere? No. But it's bound to be somewhere.

Are cheerlebs only at big gyms? Let's face it, I am sure we all know kids much more talented or better looking that some cheerlebs but they are really unnoticed. Does gym size/success matter?

I don't like to mention names personally but top gun would be one of the only teams that to me doesn't have many cheerlebs. When you think of top gun this year you think of their stunts, large co ed, their world champs lady jags. But, I personally have no idea any of their names. But other gyms even at the age I'm at you hear tons about them from younger aged cheerleaders down to which person on the team they may have a crush on! And maybe it's because I favor top gun I say this but I like view teams. Not individuals and if individuals want to post their accomplishments and skills online then cool. It's the gym name and looks that make the cheerleb.

Are cheerlebs only at big gyms? Let's face it, I am sure we all know kids much more talented or better looking that some cheerlebs but they are really unnoticed. Does gym size/success matter?

think so. But they're also at well known gyms too. Another question to go along with yours. Is a cheerleb a cheerleb because they are level 5? If remember correctly there was a cheerleb that was a level 2 or 3. And people were questioning why she was one.

Back