All-Star To Be Continued...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have no idea how they will do it. My friend received their competition schedule from her gym. Summit and Worlds are listed as possible competitions and both are * as stay to play.

I know this isn't a Stay to Play thread, and I did read through that one, but it looks like some rules are changing so I'm a bit confused. This is actually my first year doing allstar (...at 25 years old ugh) and my main concern is paying for hotel rooms at competitions, though the only one that would probably be necessary would be NCA if we attended. My original plan was to book through Sheraton because my best friend, who I'm cheering with, works at that hotel chain and gets solid discounts...but I don't see that as one of the approved exemptions. So would this mean we'd still have to book through STP?

Man, you hear about all the expenses with allstar but don't really see it until you join in and BOY it's a lot of things that add up very quickly. Those of you parents who have been paying for years, bless your heart and soul and the love you have for your kids because at this point I don't even know if I love myself enough to pay all this money haha.
The last 2 years I have gotten exempt from STP cost and used hubby discount. May change this year.

Lately, it feels like they would rather Cheer only be a sport for the wealthy. I don't get it. :/

Last edited:
Lately, it feels like they would rather Cheer only be a sport for the wealthy. I don't get it. :/

It’s a bit of a sales philosophy. It plays on the “keeping up with the joneses” mentality of our nation. If the Brown’s on the corner buy a new big SUV, the Smith’s will get new car fever. It applies to all sports. I know some folks who spend $400 on baseball bats for their kid. Bats, as in plural. Why does he need more than one? In my prime, I could take a $30 piece of wood and hit a ball into the next county.

Cheer teams/gyms/etc are not immune. If Supermegaeliteultrastars have a new $400 uniform, mediocresosonotlastbutnotfirststars will go buy a $450 uniform. Why? It doesn’t change the outcome of the competition. It’s just a superfluous way for team B to feel like they’re doing SOMETHING to keep up with team A. It’s much easier to spend plastic money that you never see than to actually put in work and get the skills necessary to keep up with team A.

@OldskoolKYcheercoach I have always told my girls if they cheer we do it the way we can afford, stay with family instead of fancy Hotels or drive back and forth (instead of Hotel) when possible, bring our own snacks, sandwiches, and water bottles with us instead of going to fancy restaurants, etc. It has been you Cheer because you love Cheer.

@OldskoolKYcheercoach I have always told my girls if they cheer we do it the way we can afford, stay with family instead of fancy Hotels or drive back and forth (instead of Hotel) when possible, bring our own snacks, sandwiches, and water bottles with us instead of going to fancy restaurants, etc. It has been you Cheer because you love Cheer.
I'm in that minority too ;)
There are very few of us who WANT to stay in fancy hotels, eat out every meal rather than restaurants, etc. Its getting harder and harder to do that for everyone as they take away all the options.

I have no idea how they will do it. My friend received their competition schedule from her gym. Summit and Worlds are listed as possible competitions and both are * as stay to play.

That "STP" may be specific to the gym, being that some want to keep their teams together. To guarantee a block of rooms and lock in a group rate they have reserve so many rooms or lose the rate.

If I won the lotto things might be different LOL but all on my own, teacher salary, and 3 kids it's not an option . If CP ends up cheering again I will probably send her with friends and teammates to the majority of competitions. Makes me sad to miss so much, but it definitely saves $$$$.

Back