Too Late To Tumble?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 29, 2012
I only started cheering three years ago and both teams I've been with in that time haven't had great facilities and I've never been taught to tumble. I have a weak roundoff and that's it. I've started taking gymnastics classes and I'm working on a back handspring for the first time and it's going well. I'll be 21 at the end of this year, am I too old to master tumbling? My aim is to find an open 4 team and compete in America!

Nope. I did gymnastics my whole life but never could tumble past a RO. I got my BHS at 28, RO BHS at 29 (yes, I'm backwards), RO Tuck at 32 and I'm not working harder skills (lays, standing tucks).

Listen to your coaches and do your drills!! Even though they boring, they'll help you with muscle memory and strengthening. And condition lots too, to make sure you're strong enough to tumble. Let us know when you get your first new skill!! :)

Conditioning is going to be key! I started tumbling properly at 17 and my problem now is that my body is breaking :p But if you're strong enough and do the skills with proper technique, you'll be fine!

I started tumbling when I was 16. Before then I had never really been interested in athletics at all. I was (and i suppose still am in many ways) your stereotypical nerd.

I started in a recreational gymnastics class filled with a bunch of 8 year-olds. They all could tumble circles around me, with their fancy cartwheels, and forward rolls. I wish I had videos of me first started gymnastics. I could have probably made a youtube video go viral with the title "Some Awkward Kid Trying to Tumble."

After a while, the instructor of the class suggested I apply as a coach. I was kinda dumbfounded because I could still hardly do a handstand, let alone teach it. But she assured me that I would be able to learn the skills, and the knowledge, but the way I interacted with the kids, was something I was born with.

After I began coaching, being in the gym with access to the equipment regularly, I began practicing skills on my own more often. It took me a while to get my strength up. But, once I did new skills started to come easier and easier. Today, at age 23, i'm proud to say that I'm still picking up new skills. Most recently, punch through to double.

For me, tumbling has taught me that if you put in the work, there really is no limit to what you can achieve, or when you can achieve it. Strength, conditioning, and learn the technical knowledge of the skills, and you will be able to learn it with no problem!

Thank you so much everyone! I had a really bad mental block with backwards walk overs and handsprings but I've been working on them so much recently and been so determined to just do it that it just seems to have disappeared, I just need to make sure I condition for them now! It's so positive to hear that other people are still picking up new skills, it makes me feel like I can do it too! :)

Don't forget to work flexibility for you walkovers! Slight changes in flexibility of your splits, and shoulders can make huge improvements in walkover performance!

I only started cheering three years ago and both teams I've been with in that time haven't had great facilities and I've never been taught to tumble. I have a weak roundoff and that's it. I've started taking gymnastics classes and I'm working on a back handspring for the first time and it's going well. I'll be 21 at the end of this year, am I too old to master tumbling? My aim is to find an open 4 team and compete in America!
I'm 37 and I am still developing new tumbling and balance skills. The first most important thing is how you talk to yourself, or understanding the intentions of your heart. A few things about the human body you need to be aware of. It takes about 16 weeks (varies from person to person) for the wrists to develop enough strength to withstand a backhandspring. Make sure your are being spotted on this skill and enough pressure is being taken off your wrists until the inner callusing of the bone joints is complete. Practice handstands against the wall as much as possible. Conditioning and flexability are of utmost importance, seek this out. Now I travel to Ukraine to train, check out or videos at cheerbalance.com

These are all amazing tips and affirmations. I'm 23 and starting my first beginners tumbling lessons this summer. I am anxious, excited, and nervous. It's intimidating to go in with absolutely no background, but we're cheerleaders we go into new stunts and routines with our nfinities tied tight, bows up, confidence high, and game faces on. Hard work will pay off into awesome new skills!

I'll chime in... been on and off working on my standing tuck (without any other tumbling apart from really basic stuff like cartweels, handstands and a weak round off) because that's what is demanded.
I'm 32 and for 4 weeks now I've been really working on it for the first time. The other times where just like "get a spot and do three tucks once a week or so" kind of attempts.
I'm seriously questioning whether i'm maybe really just too old. I'm getting frustrated as I don't seem to progress. But I'm supposed to show at least a good attempt at tryouts in 6 weeks... so I'm giving my all and really trying hard.

I'm telling myself, if i've been able to improve my stunting to the point that I was chosen for the national team for ICU worlds, why should I not be able to achieve this? I've started cheerleading at 21 and had never done anything like it before. So I'm usually a strong believer in "you're only too old if you keep telling yourself that you're too old and thereby setting yourself up for failure"...

Wow, you guys are amazing! I'm 20 and just got back to cheering after a 2 year break.. This really motivated me even more, thanks! :cheering:

I'm 20 and can't really tumble just a really bad cartwheel so I go to practice every week and go to tumbling as often as I can it has taken 4months for my cartwheel to look anything like it should I just keep going because I like to work hard

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just checking in to hear, how y'all are doing! :)

I myself am still not where I want to be and I'm starting to let it get to me, unfortunately.
I'm trying to see little babysteps foreward but secretly I think, i'm starting to kid myself. A week ago, my coach spotted me on my standing tuck and said it was really good and that there was no need for a spot. But as soon as he moves away a step (but still stepping in and spotting as soon as I jump) or someone else spots me, I lose all technique, whip back, open too early and everything. My main problems are still that I'm scared of jumping up and wait before flipping and that I'm (maybe as a consequence?) flipping really slowly. It's depressing.

Just checking in to hear, how y'all are doing! :)

I myself am still not where I want to be and I'm starting to let it get to me, unfortunately.
I'm trying to see little babysteps foreward but secretly I think, i'm starting to kid myself. A week ago, my coach spotted me on my standing tuck and said it was really good and that there was no need for a spot. But as soon as he moves away a step (but still stepping in and spotting as soon as I jump) or someone else spots me, I lose all technique, whip back, open too early and everything. My main problems are still that I'm scared of jumping up and wait before flipping and that I'm (maybe as a consequence?) flipping really slowly. It's depressing.

Have you tried these drills?

Back