Too Young For Senior Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cccheermom

Cheer Parent
Jul 20, 2012
From what I read, it would appear my daughter is too young to be on a senior team. She turned 10 in October. However, her coach has her on a senior team. I have mentioned it several times but she seems to think it is ok because she turned 10 before competition season. Your suggestions? I don't know what more to do.....it seems like I'm bugging if I keep bringing it up and it's her job to know these things, right?

http://usasfrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/USASF-Age-Grid-12-13-Rev-6-27-12.pdf

Show your coach this (I am guessing they are already aware, but at least when it is in black & white there is no disputing - and if they aren't aware I would be looking for a new gym). If they compete with your daughter on the team they are cheating. Hopefully this will end the discussion and your daughter will be placed on an age appropriate team. Good luck!

Seriously? Why would they risk it? I mean, by that other parents finding out that they knew and didn't comply and we forfeited a win. I would be upset. Maybe no one enforces. Don't mean to stir that up again, but definitely not right if they are ignoring you on it. I can honestly say the gym we are at now would not do it. We have a couple of level 5 8 and 9 year olds on the J3 team because highest level our gym has to offer that age.

If your coach still insists that it is okay, I would seriously consider looking around for another gym. If they're willing to disregard the rules on this, where do they draw the line with other rules? Every time your cp competes with that team this season there is a legitimate chance they can be disqualified. It's just not worth it.

Definitely bring this to your coach and remind her of your child's birthday. I double check everyone's age before I place them but one kid did manage to be placed on my sr team that would turn 10 a few days too late. I had to remove her immediately (I found out a week after tryouts of our mistake).
With over 90 kids to place after tryouts and teams getting mixed up every few minutes, we just made an honest mistake. Luckily we were able to fix it immediately because I reiterated the age cut off (and month of eligibility) for each level at the parent meeting.

I would talk to the coach, with a copy of the rules. It may be as simple as they just don't know.
If that doesn't help, I'm with everyone else- find a new gym.

Ahh i'm only 14 and i can't go onto a senior team until i am 16, i thought that you had to be over 12 to be on a Senior Team but it all depends on what level

Ahh i'm only 14 and i can't go onto a senior team until i am 16, i thought that you had to be over 12 to be on a Senior Team but it all depends on what level

It's 12 for a level 5 team - 10 for every other division, including restricted 5. Why can't you be on a senior team until you're 16?

From what I understand its not based on level (i cheered on level 3 at the age of 12) to be on a senior team you have to be 12 by I believe its ether aug 31 or may 31 of that comp. year. unless its a open team.

From what I understand its not based on level (i cheered on level 3 at the age of 12) to be on a senior team you have to be 12 by I believe its ether aug 31 or may 31 of that comp. year. unless its a open team.
For club divisions, the minimum age limit is 10 for levels 1-4/R5 and 12 for level 5 Worlds eligible teams. That's where level comes in.

Junior teams are 14 and under, so you are still within the correct age bracket for this season, but for next season if you turn 15 by August 31st, you will no longer be eligible for anything but a senior team.

Back