Too young???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would say 9 or 10. But if a senior team needs flyers its okay to put younger girls on the team. Depends on the level really.

I hate seeing girls who obviously aren't even in middle school on sr. teams. I think 12 is a good age.

depends on what other teams are in the gym if you have an 8 year old who is lvl 4 is it fair it keep her on level 2 because thats the only youth team you have?

it depends on the maturity of the kid. i have seen 8 year olds get along just fine with senior aged kids and then i have seen 13 year olds that belonged on youth because they were so immature.

i do prefer to keep senior teams to older kids(12 and up) but i know that teams(especially from small gyms) will put little girls on a senior team if they have the skills or are needed for flying.

you also need to take into consideration the maturity level of the 12 year old, what the ages of the other team members are, will there be anyone else on the team also 12, will the older athletes accept the younger ones, will the coach and other team members have patience with a younger one? It can and has worked, but each team, even within a gym has different dynamics which need to be taken into consideration.

you also need to take into consideration the maturity level of the 12 year old, what the ages of the other team members are, will there be anyone else on the team also 12, will the older athletes accept the younger ones, will the coach and other team members have patience with a younger one? It can and has worked, but each team, even within a gym has different dynamics which need to be taken into consideration.

Very true. It would be weird to have one 12 year old on a team full of 16, 17 year olds.

my daughter and another girl were put on senior 3 last year at age 11. The next oldest girl was 15 so there was a large age gap. The funny part is, they were both to be flyers but some girls left the team so there was room for only 3 stunt groups. They had my daughter (who had turned 12 during the season) base some stunts. She is over 5 feet tall and very strong.

The older girls treated the one who acted like a baby poorly and the other like the team pet.

Very true. It would be weird to have one 12 year old on a team full of 16, 17 year olds.

then add in the kids who are 18 or even the super seniors who just turned 19 (after the cut off date).
12-19 makes a large age and maturity gap.

im 12 and i was cheering as a 11 year old last year and i was the only 12 year old on a team full of pretty much all 15-17 year olds it was a little ackward at times hahaha. but i was on two teams and my other senior team it was ages 9-17 but their wher a lot of younger girls so that wasnt as bad. but it deffinitly could get weird some times.

I'd say 12 as well. That way there aren't a ton of little kids moving up to senior teams ONLY to fly.

Back