Too young???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh and I meant to add: I'm 13 and I'm on senior 2 and 4.2 and I get along better with the senior girls than I do with junior girls. So I think it really depends on the maturity level of the athlete. :)

I say it depends on the maturity level of the athlete. BUT, if I had to put a number to it, I would say 12. Even though as a MOM I worry about what information my little girl might be hearing from the bigger boys and girls. I feel fortunate that on my daughter's team, her teammates seems to be considerate about that. I also thank the coaches for keeping such a great atmosphere for the people on the team whether they are 12 or 18. I love our coaches.....they are great.

i think it realy depends on the kid because there are girls who are 10 that are mentally ready to be on a senior team and girls who are 14 that arent

My oldest daughter turned 13 in Oct and has been on a Sr team since she was 10. Before that she was on a mini team her first year (6 years old) and then on Jr teams. I agree with so many on here that have said that it really depends on the child's maturity level and skill level. I also don't like watching Sr teams with little girls flying that don't have the tumble, jumps, motions to go with it. Fortunately my daughter is mature for her age, and although she is a flyer she has always had the other skills that were required for whatever level she was/is on. Granted this year she has grown over 5 inches (since Jan) so she fits right in when she's in the air with the other flyers, she doesn't look like such a little girl anymore.

I think under 11 is young for a senior team. CP is 10 and I would not want her on a senior team now. It is all relative though...depends on if the team is an "older" or "younger" senior team too.

I think anything under 12 shouldn't be senior. We have a 10 year old, not complaining because she's great, but she just still has that "child" energy and runs around crazy that is sometimes hard to coach. She gets yelled at when she can't help it, it's just because she's ten!

The Senior age is 15-18
but, if the team is Open then it could be any age,!
I personally think 12 is too Young

The Senior age is 15-18
but, if the team is Open then it could be any age,!
I personally think 12 is too Young

What do you mean the senior age is 15-18? If you are on a level 5 team eligible to go to worlds, you can be 12-18. However Senior Open 5 and other senior teams just require you to be under 18.

on our team we have reallyyy young girls on our senior teams. but thats because we are a VERY small gym (tiny 1, mini 1, senior 2, senior 5, and international open coed 5) and we have no choice but to go senior or else some girls wouldn't have a spot.

My team has girls as young as 7 on it and girls as old as 17.
Its a very mixed group but everyone gets a long amazingly.
The little girls are treated almost like little sisters, but they still have friends their own age.
And the older girls also have friends their own age.

It works, it just depends on the gym.

My gym has the exact situation as well.
The only issue is that my coaches can't really treat us like a senior team and get reallly angry because the younger girls get upset if they get like continual critiques. It's almost like we have to baby the entire team because of a few people. It really does depend on the girls though because we had the same range of athletes last year and they could handle the criticism a lot better.

If its senior 5 the person needs to be twelve by August but if its any other level they can be 18 and under

My daughter is 10 and on a Sr 4.2 team. Last year she double teamed on Jr 3 and Sr 4.2 as a 9yr old. This year, the owners decided her overall skills were better suited for the Sr team. We are a small gym too and that makes the team choices very limited.

While I agree that her overall skills fit that level better, I've been concerned about the age difference. The girls have been really good about treating her appropriately, and she doesn't seem to be left out but there is no one her age. She does a great job and has earned her spot as point flyer (and not because she's little), she's very mature for her age and works hard. However, I'm not sure I would want her to continue on Srs next year.

I coach the Jr 3 team, so I of course would love to have her back to fly for me, but she doesn't have level 3 tumbling. It's a battle within myself constantly to do what's best for HER... and my opinion changes all the time, so I can see all sides of this debate and I still don't know what the correct answer is.

It all depends on their maturity level, if they cant take the pressure or the capability of holding your emotions then you are to young.

Which brings me to the question... should we create minimum ages for each division? I would propose:

Tiny- 3-6
Mini- 6-9
Youth- 8-11
Junior- 10-14
Senior- 14-19

Then leave an open senior divison on all levels that drops the minimum age requirement, and keep the international divisions but make them 16+

Seems like a lot of crossing between divisions now that I see it, but it made sense in my head lol

Back