High School Transportation To Away Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At my school the cheerleaders don't have a bus to away games. They used to but last year due to budget cuts we lost our bus. One parent organizes a carpool and parents take turns driving us to the games. JV and freshmen cheerleaders only cheer home games. Last year our homecoming game got rained out and the football coach still wanted them to play. We drove an hour to a school with a turf field. We didn't even get buses for that game. We had no fans, band, or poms team.

I had to pay $50 for transportation but I think it went up after I graduated. We rode the same bus as the football players.

Competitive season we used to pay $50 too, but then we had budget cuts. After that we had parents carpool us to comps. I don't think any other winter sports team got their transportation cut

There's no way we could ever ride with the football players. There's 24 of us and there's 40something football players. On the bus everybody has their own seat "pod" so there's only room for 35 I think on a bus

We had a $50 "pay to play" fee for any person involved in a sport in high school, dance and cheer included. I'm not sure what exactly it covered but I assume transportation was paid for with at least some of that money.

It's a teacher who is the cheer advisor. she doesn't do any coaching, per se. The girls coach themselves, which is a whole other matter. She allows the JV captains to just berate and yell at the other girls and supports the captains. I'm thinking if things keep going this way, my daughter will just quite - with my approval. Things are just seeming more ridiculous with each passing day.

This right here is one of the reasons my cp won't be taking part in High school cheer, it's the same way around here! I don't understand why some cheer squads around here have to be run by team captains and not the coaches :/

When I was in high school there were no fees for transportation (ditto for my younger sister that graduated in 2013). We rode buses to the game. Sometimes it was with the band, sometimes it was with the boys basketball team during bball season. Eventually we started getting our own bus. After the game we could get signed out by parents, but rarely did that occur since it was purpose defeating as our cars were at the school

It's a teacher who is the cheer advisor. she doesn't do any coaching, per se. The girls coach themselves, which is a whole other matter. She allows the JV captains to just berate and yell at the other girls and supports the captains. I'm thinking if things keep going this way, my daughter will just quite - with my approval. Things are just seeming more ridiculous with each passing day.
That's a sorry excuse for a coach. Is she just doing it for the money?

With huge school budget cuts it's common to pay fees here in CMS (Charlotte) schools here in NC. $50 middle school $100 high school. Every athlete pays this before the season starts

I can say that between middle school soccer, middle & high school cheer & majorette I never once had to pay for a bus. Middle school cheer rides the bus with the players for football & bball, it was understood that the there was no talking on the way there. If the team won than talking was allowed on the way home, if not it was silent. I didn't cheer football in high school because of majorette but the cheerleaders were always assigned to the last band bus allow with any band members who chose that bus. Basketball was the same set up as middle school. We weren't allowed to be signed out by parents afterwards, although for majorette/ band I have so many bus memories and there were a lot of traditions attached to the bus ride home including singing the alma mater as we rose up the street to the school ( It still gives me chills thinking about it and I've been out of school for five years)

My boyfriend went to a private school, and they didn't have buses. He played soccer and as far as I know they were responsible for their own transportation.

We have to pay a fee for everything except dance and cheer (I don't understand it at least for cheer because we compete and dance doesn't; I'm not going to complain though because these are 2 of 3 that I do) we've always Rosen the bus with the football players. Another comment: bands go to away games? I always assumed that everywhere they only performed at home games. Then again I assumed that cheer always got buses with football too, but that was discredited as well

We get our own bus to away games. If the dance team comes (which they've only ever been to one and that was to watch their competition) we share with them. Most girls get their own seats, but if we have to double up the freshmen have to double up first, then sophomores, etc. Our band doesn't go to away games, but no way would we be able to share a bus, they need several buses just for themselves! Football gets a charter bus usually but we get a normal school bus.
During basketball season we only get to bring 4 or 5 girls to a game and we ride with the players, as many to a seat as we can so we don't infringe too much on their space. Our girls basketball team almost always gets a charter bus, I'm not sure if they pay for that, but they're amazing so I wouldn't be surprised if that was why they get that.... Boys usually ride a school bus unless it's more than 2 1/2 hours away and then they get a charter bus.
The only thing we pay for is our food if parents bring us sack lunches or order us pizza. If you want to go home with your parents, you have to get a release filled out and signed by your parents and the athletic director by Thursday. The only time we've been able to drive ourselves to a game was for the state game, bc it was on a Saturday in St. Louis and people wanted to go up there and shop and such with their families before the game. Otherwise we're always bussed.

Last edited:
When I was in high school there were no fees for transportation (ditto for my younger sister that graduated in 2013). We rode buses to the game. Sometimes it was with the band, sometimes it was with the boys basketball team during bball season. Eventually we started getting our own bus. After the game we could get signed out by parents, but rarely did that occur since it was purpose defeating as our cars were at the school
@HeresAThought and I's high school also had an offsite stadium that we shared with other schools. So we were bussed to home games too with no fees.

@HeresAThought and I's high school also had an offsite stadium that we shared with other schools. So we were bussed to home games too with no fees.
How did that work? Did people play on different nights? A private school about an hour away doesn't have a stadium and uses the public school's for home games, so if we play there we play on Saturdays. Which is doable since there are only 2 teams using it. Do your schedules just work out so that there aren't like 4 games there in one weekend?

How did that work? Did people play on different nights? A private school about an hour away doesn't have a stadium and uses the public school's for home games, so if we play there we play on Saturdays. Which is doable since there are only 2 teams using it. Do your schedules just work out so that there aren't like 4 games there in one weekend?
The two private schools by me use our local college's field as their home field. They somehow make it work between the three teams, with one occasionally using another field when conflict can't be avoided. The two teams have a huge rivalry so using the college stadium for their rivalry game known as "The Holy War" works really well because fans fill up the D1 college stands.

Back