All-Star Trending Towards "mega-gyms"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

quitthedrama

I buy my Insta followers
Cheer Parent
Feb 4, 2010
This year it seems like many athletes are relocating to top name programs. In our region it is getting more difficult to field a coed team due to so many athletes moving across the country strictly for cheer. What impact will it have on the average gym on a National level or at bid competitions? What happens if it gets to the point where Worlds being dominated by a handful of programs and they are the only ones in the medals in each division? Thoughts?

i don't love the trend, but i look at it sort of like gymnastics. you start out maybe for fun at a smaller local program. as you progress, you want to go to an elite gym to get the best instruction and have the best chances at reaching your goals (olympics/worlds) it makes sense, but at the same time is a little crazy because, in my mind at least, worlds is no where near the caliber of the olympics.

it won't be impossible for a smaller gym to field a level 5 team, but it makes it that much harder for them to grow.

worlds has kind of been dominated by a handful of programs already..
I fully agree, and last year I had posted in one of the threads (lord knows which one now or I would have referenced it!) that Worlds almost is at the point where it needs something like a Division I and Division II, in order for the gyms with under 300 athletes to feel like they have an opportunity to stay competitive. If I remember correctly, most felt that it wasn't necessary - which is fine - but with this new trend of your best kids leaving for the gyms that are already winning Worlds the talent pool is becoming even more uneven. I think this sport is at a point where this is going to become even more popular and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.

I see cheer having a very gymnastic makeup in a few years. Lots of competition and gyms in the level 1-3s, a fewer number if gyms with level 4, and even less with level 5. That's not necessarily a bad thing and means a Lot of competition for levels 1-3 (which is most of cheer). It will mean a big increase in safety and a more secure income for smaller gyms. Once an athlete is ready to go level 5 then they would move.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I see cheer having a very gymnastic makeup in a few years. Lots of competition and gyms in the level 1-3s, a fewer number if gyms with level 4, and even less with level 5. That's not necessarily a bad thing and means a Lot of competition for levels 1-3 (which is most of cheer). It will mean a big increase in safety and a more secure income for smaller gyms. Once an athlete is ready to go level 5 then they would move.

I think that's fair to say, a lot are already doing that now.

i don't love the trend, but i look at it sort of like gymnastics. you start out maybe for fun at a smaller local program. as you progress, you want to go to an elite gym to get the best instruction and have the best chances at reaching your goals (olympics/worlds) it makes sense, but at the same time is a little crazy because, in my mind at least, worlds is no where near the caliber of the olympics.

it won't be impossible for a smaller gym to field a level 5 team, but it makes it that much harder for them to grow.

I would go with this if it wasn't for the fact some of these kids are either moving from already elite Worlds caliber gyms or they live literally a stones throw from one. If you live in Texas why the heck are you FLYING to another state for a program, you have a Worlds gym on every corner.
People can blast me but I think this has way more to do with a certain "tv" show and less to do with trying to get "elite" instruction...just saying.

So mega gyms can not develop in house talent. What does that say for their talent succession planning? This new trend does nothing to grow the sport, they are just moving people around offering scholorships and housing with a little hope of cheerlebrity thrown in the mix.

I would go with this if it wasn't for the fact some of these kids are either moving from already elite Worlds caliber gyms or they live literally a stones throw from one. If you live in Texas why the heck are you FLYING to another state for a program, you have a Worlds gym on every corner.
People can blast me but I think this has way more to do with a certain "tv" show and less to do with trying to get "elite" instruction...just saying.
And I am so happy Im not the only one that feels that way.

As a parent, I don't quite understand moving state to state for cheer. With gymnastics and figure skating, I can understand if your child is veering in the direction of potential Olympic talent. You could be setting up their future. We all know who Brian Boitano and Shawn Johnson are...their sports offer the potential of fame and fortune. Is it for a ring? For their 15 minutes of fame as a cheerlebrity who will never be famous outside of the cheer world? I'm trying to understand....

i wouldn't disagree with you at all.. i'm also just an outsider so i really don't know who's moving where until it pops up on the boards or something. so my comment was much more generalized.

i will say it seems that every year it's becoming more and more popular to choose a college next to your dream gym and super senioring there. not that that's a bad thing (it's actually much more rational than up and moving mid-high school), just hope they've chosen the right college for the remaining 3 years they won't be cheering.

So mega gyms can not develop in house talent. What does that say for their talent succession planning? This new trend does nothing to grow the sport, they are just moving people around offering scholorships and housing with a little hope of cheerlebrity thrown in the mix.

It is safe to say that I do not agree with that.

I do wish that more gyms would take the time to figure out why most of their kids are really leaving, instead of just assuming it is because the mega-gym offered them some sweetheart deal.

I do wish that more gyms would take the time to figure out why most of their kids are really leaving, instead of just assuming it is because the mega-gym offered them some sweetheart deal.
I think in your case, you have a program which doesn't need to offer anything to anyone. The reputation and first class caliber speaks for itself. However, there are larger programs with less prestige that truly get kids because they offer some sweet deals. I've been offered a few myself and some of them were really tempting.

All in all, I completely agree with you. But there are those out there that aren't like Cheer Athletics.

How about we figure out a way for teenage kids to not obssess over certain programs?

"OMG (Top Gun, WC, F5, Cali, CA, CEA, ACE, Rays, GymTyme, SOT, etc, etc) Gives Me Life!!"

Someone listening/reading that for 4-8 years gets very interested in taking a chance to cheer at one of those gyms.

I'm sure you'll find my suggestion absurd, but that's what is driving a lot of the desire.

Couldn't agree more.

Back