All-Star Trying Out At Two Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Honestly it isn't shopping for levels. I pretty much know what she is and is nowhere near a level 5 ;). Maybe taking tumbling classes or observing is a better way to feel out the new gym. The only thing is that once our season is over both gyms go right into tryouts so there isn't much time before hand and I would not take her there to tumble while we're still committed to our current gym. Lots to think about, thanks.

Not sure why you wouldn't take her there to tumble during the season. We have several kids tumble at our gym that are very happy at their current gym, just like our facility a little better, or a particular coach for tumbling purposes. We also have kids FROM our gym that take privates or tumbling classes at other gyms as well. All seem very happy on both ends.

Not sure why you wouldn't take her there to tumble during the season. We have several kids tumble at our gym that are very happy at their current gym, just like our facility a little better, or a particular coach for tumbling purposes. We also have kids FROM our gym that take privates or tumbling classes at other gyms as well. All seem very happy on both ends.
I think that's a great idea, it's also a totally different thread (tumbling at other gyms) :) my kids have tumbled at two different gyms aside from ours this season because they're gym rats and really pushing themselves hard to pick up new skills (and have done so). However, gyms are not always on board with tumbling their "competitors." One of the gyms we've gone to frequently (every open gym they've had that fit our schedule since we found out about them) just told us point blank that we were not welcome to return if we were not going to tryout and move to that gym for the coming season. And since we don't intend to move there.... We're out.

I guess their open gym is moving to a closed gym model.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

What if you are not happy with the current gym for various reasons? Though most commonly heard of, not all gym hopping is for levels. We jumped ship this year and it had nothing to do with team level but rather atmosphere and what our CP was looking for in a program.
If you're not happy at your gym, though, you aren't still going to be trying out there and other gyms. It's the simultaneous tryout that I think is at issue.

Honestly it isn't shopping for levels. I pretty much know what she is and is nowhere near a level 5 ;). Maybe taking tumbling classes or observing is a better way to feel out the new gym. The only thing is that once our season is over both gyms go right into tryouts so there isn't much time before hand and I would not take her there to tumble while we're still committed to our current gym. Lots to think about, thanks.[/
Honestly it isn't shopping for levels. I pretty much know what she is and is nowhere near a level 5 ;). Maybe taking tumbling classes or observing is a better way to feel out the new gym. The only thing is that once our season is over both gyms go right into tryouts so there isn't much time before hand and I would not take her there to tumble while we're still committed to our current gym. Lots to think about, thanks.
definitely either try out a tumble class or ask to watch a practice. You will learn way more about the gym than during try outs.

I think that's a great idea, it's also a totally different thread (tumbling at other gyms) :) my kids have tumbled at two different gyms aside from ours this season because they're gym rats and really pushing themselves hard to pick up new skills (and have done so). However, gyms are not always on board with tumbling their "competitors." One of the gyms we've gone to frequently (every open gym they've had that fit our schedule since we found out about them) just told us point blank that we were not welcome to return if we were not going to tryout and move to that gym for the coming season. And since we don't intend to move there.... We're out.

I guess their open gym is moving to a closed gym model.

I'll be honest..the first time I had someone call me for a private and tell me their child cheered at a rival gym, but had been told great things about me specifically as a tumbling coach and wanted to schedule some, I wanted to tell her the same thing. Why would I want to help our rival gym get better?? But THEN, I met her sweet darling daughters, enjoyed every second of the private and quickly remembered WHY I coach...for the kids. Everything else is just dollars and cents. Sure I wish those kids cheered at our gym. But I still coach for the KIDS, not for the wins or the money. So my heart has changed on this topic. :)

i have mixed feelings on this, so i apologize if i start rambling.

i think you should really think about what is making you want to tryout at gym #2 in the first place. is it not the best environment? is your child not progressing? do they not have age/skill appropriate teams for your CPs? if something is making you look around at other gyms, it may be your subconscious telling you to get the heck out of gym #1 altogether.

i also see both sides of this... as the customer, you have the right to go wherever you want. you should be very selective and find the gym that offers you the best for your money (whatever the best is to you; whether that be a level 5 team, a youth 1 team, better coaches/facility etc.)

from the coaches side, i've read about the hours/days/weeks put into creating the perfect rosters for each team. when you tryout, you are sort of committing to that team. though, if you're going to leave, the earlier you do it the better.

i think a huge issue is the lack of offseason in this sport. the season ends, you have one day off, and then the next season starts. i think if there were a proper offseason, it would give more people the opportunity to really "shop" around for gyms. i think if you're honest and respectful about the situation, why not try out at all the gyms your heart desires.

i think a huge issue is the lack of offseason in this sport. the season ends, you have one day off, and then the next season starts. i think if there were a proper offseason, it would give more people the opportunity to really "shop" around for gyms. i think if you're honest and respectful about the situation, why not try out at all the gyms your heart desires.
THIS. Our school cheer tryouts were literally the week after State basketball. We cheered the game on Saturday, and Monday was the first tryout clinic. So all the decisions and paperwork had to be done while we were still cheering. It's hard to make a decision about what you're doing next year if you don't even have a week off... I know it was super stressful for me!

tryouts dont give you an idea of how the practices are going to be ran all season or how the gym is as a whole. it just lets you know what team you make.

id say tryout at both BUT like they say "the grass is never greener on the other side"

Best of luck!

IMHO... I'm sure this isnt popular opinion but... once a season is over, your commitment to that gym is over. You can do whatever you want. You are a consumer and if you want to bring your athlete to another gym to see if its a better fit, or even because you like their socks better, you have that right. I know there is the whole "family" aspect to cheer, which is great, but realistically you are looking for what is in the best interest of your child. We switched gyms even though my athlete loved her old gym, she found new love with her new gym and the kids were/are more than fabulous at both. The kids AND the coaches at the old gym still have a great relationship with her. Maybe thats not the norm and her old gym is a gem among stones, but her relationships with the people trump her current gym status. I also feel that if you are just "shopping for a higher level", that is fine too. If your kids ultimate goal is to be level 5 or go to worlds or whatever, why wouldn't a kid want to take the stepping stones to get there? Talent breeds talent and if your kid wants to be pushed, then stepping up to a higher level team might be what it takes.

Let me add that it has to be done in the right way though... being up front about what your athlete is looking for, what their goals are, and that they are trying out other places will take the shadiness out of it. We were absolutely up front with all 3 gyms she tried out at. As far as full commitment BEFORE tryouts?? That is just insanity. I would run as far away from that gym as possible!!!
Agreed 100%

Some gyms do tryouts and then have registration a month or two after. To me this seems ideal because you can place your borderline higher level athletes on the higher/lower team to see how they push, assess new kids and how well they work, shuffle rosters, give kids and families a chance to see if they like their coaches and the way practices are run. After registration you're signed up for the year and commit to paying whatever exit fee etc. I know a lot of clubs don't have this luxury but it's a good way to deal with the lack of off-season.

Because the current gym would not allow it and I don't think the new one would either. They are close, kind of rivals and there would be lots of drama.

You are free to do what you want. Doesn't mean people won't judge you for it.

That being said, it WOULD be ideal if you could go in to see how practices are run ahead of time. Tryout atmosphere can be very different, as others have said. If they're rivals, I have a bad feeling about all this. It's a toss up between being up front and annoying people, or having it get out later and upsetting people. While in a perfect world this isn't an issue, I would tread carefully. WE might say it's not a huge deal, but we're also not personally involved..

If you think there will be drama just from going to this other gym to tumble then imagine what would happen if you go try out? I'd suggest that trying out at the new gym could very possibly mean the end of the relationship in your current one so be very sure you would walk away before you give it a shot because they might decide to show you the door even if you ultimately wanted to stay.

I dont see the point of trying out at both gyms do what you and your cp wants. if she stays at that gym your at now and has a miserable year because she didnt try something else out then your going to kick youself for it.

Back