All-Star Trying Out At Two Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree that leaving a gym isn't always about team placement. My CP left a gym due to the way she felt belittled by the coaches. It would have been ideal to speak to the gym owner about it prior to leaving. However, the owner would not accept calls, text messages or emails from me, blocked me from the gym website, facebook and the owner's personal facebook page because owner knew what my messages were about. So, the decision was pretty easy. lol Then, my CP and I were badmouthed by the entire coaching staff to her friends during practice. I didn't believe it at first, but after hearing the same thing from multiple people I had to. I knew for sure then that we had made the right decision. And I can say with 100% honesty, we left that program quietly, never badmouthed them, and cheered them on in competitions because some of these girls were my CPs friends. So while I agree with the coaches who posted above about being an adult and speaking with the current gym, that is not always feasible. Just know that if you try out at 2 gyms, you may not be welcomed back into the first, so be sure you would be willing to leave for sure.

if a gym is going to start a fuss about you looking into another gym, or coming from a rival gym... it's not a place you or your child want to be. a gym is meant to welcome you with open arms..

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I dont see the point of trying out at both gyms do what you and your cp wants. if she stays at that gym your at now and has a miserable year because she didnt try something else out then your going to kick youself for it.
I agree with this. If there is something brewing that has made you consider leaving, you need to really explore what that is because if (during the season) you're already having some concern great enough to have you consider somewhere else. It's time to go.

I agree with this. If there is something brewing that has made you consider leaving, you need to really explore what that is because if (during the season) you're already having some concern great enough to have you consider somewhere else. It's time to go.

as long as you keep in mind the grass is not always greener on the other side. There are plenty of people that have gone from the frying pan to the fire. Sometimes you need to consider the lesser of two evils if an activity you really want to continue with.

as long as you keep in mind the grass is not always greener on the other side. There are plenty of people that have gone from the frying pan to the fire. Sometimes you need to consider the lesser of two evils if an activity you really want to continue with.
Agreed. That's why research is your best friend. Not necessarily to find the "perfect" program because I don't think there is one. There are issues in every program, but checking out practices (ordinary run of the mill ones) talking to people, talking to coaches and maybe taking a class or two...over time... Will give you the best "real" view of another program. Then you decide what quirks of both programs you can and can't live with and where you fit best.

That's when you make the move and it should happen regardless of the individual team you're placed on at tryouts.

I think what I'm saying here is if you are considering moving at all for whatever is going in at your home program... You need to get in the trenches and start researching. I'd never switch to a program based on their climate at tryouts because you know that's nothing but used car salesmanship and selling their program (which may or may not actually reflect what the program is/does/believes in). You need to see it on some random Tuesday in November to get a real read on how it rolls.

Honestly, I don't think tryouts, or even attending a practice a few times is REALLY going to give you any definitive answers. If a kid was to come to one of my practices right now, when we're a week out of our last comp of the year, they may see a side of me that isn't very appealing, lol. I mean let's face it, every coach has to get tough and mean sometimes, and that usually happens leading up to NCA thru the end of the season. I wouldn't want a "newbie" to think I was that hard ALL the time. The kids new to our gym that started at tryouts got to see the calm, laid back, "we've got plenty of time to learn" coach and didn't see the "get your crap together" coach until months into the season. Does that make sense? So personally, I think it takes a good year with a program before you can REALLY have an honest, unadulterated opinion of what kind of gym it's going to be.

Bottom line, IMO, do what feels "right" to you. The grass may not be greener at all, OR you may have found your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You won't know til you try. Someone posted a pic on facebook today that said something like "I'd rather live a life of oh wells, than a life of what ifs". :)

Is that frowned on or not?

My daughter is in her 3rd year and young. I'm not sure if we'll stay or move. There are pros/cons to our current gym and the other I'm interested in. Someone told me to have her do tryouts at both. I'm not sure about how that will be accepted. You know the cheer world is small and someone is surely to find out and talk. So, would it cause problems for whichever decision we make?
If you are unhappy at your current gym then leave ....but i know if someone tried out for my gym and another gym i know the other athletes would find out and they would not be kind. Make up your mind before try-outs. when people try out for more than one gym it does not make you look good trust me.

In my area you sign a contract at tryouts and usually commit to pay a high $ amount if you leave after that. So how would you handle that if you were wanting to tryout at 2 places? What about a private tryout after teams have all ready been put together? Then you can take or leave what they offer you?

United DFW Tryout Packet.pdf - Google Drive

I found an example of what I was talking about. This is a small gym with 2 locations in DFW...scroll to page 3...you have to pay a $175 commitment fee before being placed on a team (at that's the "early bird" amount), and then if you leave for any reason other than injury or relocation more than 30 miles they charge you for the whole season PLUS $150. To me that is BS....
Crazy!!!

I found an example of what I was talking about. This is a small gym with 2 locations in DFW...scroll to page 3...you have to pay a $175 commitment fee before being placed on a team (at that's the "early bird" amount), and then if you leave for any reason other than injury or relocation more than 30 miles they charge you for the whole season PLUS $150. To me that is BS....
Crazy!!!

That is CRAZY...........

At our gym you pay a tryout fee of like $25-$30. There are other fees that will be due pretty much right away like May tuition, and the start up fees (like $300ish I think) but you don't have to pay then unless you decide to join the gym. At the beginning of July, if you quit you have to pay a $500 quitters fee.

I'm not sure I'd tryout for a gym that required so much money AT tryouts...sounds like a money hungry owner and I wouldn't be able to have someone like that coaching my kids. I understand gyms don't want people trying out who aren't serious, but come on!! That's sketchy!

Crazy!!!
Sketchiness. That would have me running in the other direction. WAY too much like you're trying to own my kid which only makes me wonder what the rest would be like.

Latest posts

Back