High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There is nothing fair about a panel of outsiders.

Parent: Back in my day we were judged by outgoing seniors."

How fair was that for you?

Awesome if you were the panel's BFF.

I took a senior's flyer spot in HS. I would have been first on the NOPE list.

A girl I cheered with in high school just announced that she will be coaching the varsity team at a private high school in our town next season.

I read her information flyer on Facebook and felt like I took a time machine back a decade or two. (Not chosen by student body bad, but still cringeworthy!) I just can't. We cheered together. I know that this girl has actual real knowledge and experience of the sport, but you would never know by reading her stuff. How we ended up on such different ends of the spectrum is mind blowing!

A girl I cheered with in high school just announced that she will be coaching the varsity team at a private high school in our town next season.

I read her information flyer on Facebook and felt like I took a time machine back a decade or two. (Not chosen by student body bad, but still cringeworthy!) I just can't. We cheered together. I know that this girl has actual real knowledge and experience of the sport, but you would never know by reading her stuff. How we ended up on such different ends of the spectrum is mind blowing!

Is it possible that she's being handcuffed by admin?

Small private school across town from me would not allow changes to "tradition." So I did their choreography for years and they paid me more money than the head coach while she had to deal with all the drama.

Or Ally Alumna who cheered with 75% of the girls trying out is totally impartial and an expert on cheerleading?

This is why you aren't allowed to head coach at my school until all the girls you cheered with graduate. My friend who is one year older than me assistant coaches JV and the last of our team graduated last year. This goes for other sports too, but it's not uncommon for the more successful students to come back and help when they're home from school.

I help at tryouts every year. My first two years was instructional choreo and helping the middle schoolers transition. Now that I don't know the girls, I might get asked about my opinion on some athletes but I don't judge. I also have the most cheer experience than any of our alums, and the only one who continued their career into college so at least I have an inkling on skills/potential.

Is it possible that she's being handcuffed by admin?

Small private school across town from me would not allow changes to "tradition." So I did their choreography for years and they paid me more money than the head coach while she had to deal with all the drama.
Possibly, but I don't think so. Back a few years ago they were fairly decent. I don't keep up with them too much, but it *seems* to be all her. I of course don't know the inner workings there. Just made me want to bang my head on the wall to read her posts.

H.S. GIRLS BASKETBALL: Braintree coach steps down - Sports - The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

Thought this would be an interesting read for some, as tryout season approaches and I'm sure we will all have our fair share of parents.

I shared that on Facebook last night. I've been quite controversial in my Facebook shares leading up to tryout season. I got a new principal last summer, getting a new AD and superintendent this summer, and pushing the envelope with a new way of coaching....you folks keep me posted on any assistant coach vacancies you have in the next 12 months. I may be in the unemployment line.

I shared that on Facebook last night. I've been quite controversial in my Facebook shares leading up to tryout season. I got a new principal last summer, getting a new AD and superintendent this summer, and pushing the envelope with a new way of coaching....you folks keep me posted on any assistant coach vacancies you have in the next 12 months. I may be in the unemployment line.

I'm getting a new principal this year (old principal resigned due to plagiarism allegations). She was always 110% supportive of my decisions and coaching. Hoping our new principal is the same way and does not succumb to the parents...

UGH, just went through it.. AD wants me to stay, principal heard from kids there was too much negativity (caused by the kids)... wanted no more drama in cheer (LOL at that), and so I resigned.. It was best for me to just get out and let them figure it out.

UGH, just went through it.. AD wants me to stay, principal heard from kids there was too much negativity (caused by the kids)... wanted no more drama in cheer (LOL at that), and so I resigned.. It was best for me to just get out and let them figure it out.
Ugh, this is frustrating. You guys sound like great coaches, it's frustrating things are made so difficult for people that truly care.

Ugh, this is frustrating. You guys sound like great coaches, it's frustrating things are made so difficult for people that truly care.

I actually don't anticipate any problems. There was a little sarcasm in my statement. It probably went undetected as it wasn't dripping on the floor like so many of my other posts.

To all the high school coaches: What is your ideal cheer parent?

Well...

This year I had 20 kids in my program.

Three sets of sisters so 17 sets of parents

I had probably 15 complaints that actually reached me all year (who cares about the ones that never get to me). When I say, "reached me" I mean that I got either a phone call or text message about.

Of those 15 complaints, 9 of them came from the parents of one kid. This mother throws her Christianity in everyone's face as an example of how her daughter could never be the problem. 3 came from the mother of another kid. This mother actually had the nerve to approach me at a competition. The other 3 were all individual complaints. Two of these were one-offs, a single text message explanation and a "thank you for letting me know" from the parents and they were one. The third was the only person I've ever had circumvent me and go straight to the AD and Principal without giving me an opportunity.

So my ideal parents are the 14 sets of parents who were not overbearing Christians, did not verbally assault me at a competition, and did not try to do an end around to get their way.

Back