High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our year has started off great! Love having a comp team that all wants to be there and work hard! They are doing awesome and have already gained so many new skills! Our varsity ambassadors have been doing a great job planning things for the coming year, a little issue with them being snippy to comp girls. I reminded them, it was their choice to not compete and they need to accept it and support those that want to compete. After that was said, things have been great! JV is doing much better than expected too! So far so good!!!

My niece is trying out for the JV team at the high school that myself and my sister cheered at. She's only 11 and going into the 7th grade so I'm not expecting much (although this is a try out specifically for 7th graders). She hasn't done all star cheer in 3 years and and she weak in jumps, dance and motions....the only think she has going for her in is tumbling (solid level 4 skills on a dead floor/grass). Wish her luck, although she can always try out for her middle school team if she doesn't make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My niece is trying out for the JV team at the high school that myself and my sister cheered at. She's only 11 and going into the 7th grade so I'm not expecting much (although this is a try out specifically for 7th graders). She hasn't done all star cheer in 3 years and and she weak in jumps, dance and motions....the only think she has going for her in is tumbling (solid level 4 skills on a dead floor/grass). Wish her luck, although she can always try out for her middle school team if she doesn't make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can she cheer JV when she is going into 7th grade? She doesn't have to attend the high school that she cheers for? Our middle school cheer teams are grounded so even girls with just sideline rec experience tend to avoid them.

How can she cheer JV when she is going into 7th grade? She doesn't have to attend the high school that she cheers for? Our middle school cheer teams are grounded so even girls with just sideline rec experience tend to avoid them.

There are districts who allow 7th or 8th graders to tryout for HS sports.

Mine does not but it is definitely a thing.

There are districts who allow 7th or 8th graders to tryout for HS sports.

Mine does not but it is definitely a thing.
It's only allowed here if you also play for your middle school or the sport is not offered in middle school. Is cheer considered a sport or an activity in the places this is happening?

In our district we are allowed to have 7th-12th on JV teams and 8th-12th on Varsity. It is really unheard of for most of the bigger sports here (football,basketball, soccer, etc.) but for cheerleading and dance teams there are a lot of girls who are in middle school on high school teams.

In our district we are allowed to have 7th-12th on JV teams and 8th-12th on Varsity. It is really unheard of for most of the bigger sports here (football,basketball, soccer, etc.) but for cheerleading and dance teams there are a lot of girls who are in middle school on high school teams.

Do you have small high schools? Our local high schools have about 2000 kids in grades 9-12 (our middle schools have about 1000-1200 kids grades 6-8). So there are enough kids to field just about any type of team. I'm just wondering why a school would need to dip into the middle school population to form teams.

I think it's interesting to hear how other school districts operate. I'm always telling my kids 'just b/c we do things a certain way here, doesn't mean that the rest of the world does the same thing.

Do you have small high schools? Our local high schools have about 2000 kids in grades 9-12 (our middle schools have about 1000-1200 kids grades 6-8). So there are enough kids to field just about any type of team. I'm just wondering why a school would need to dip into the middle school population to form teams.

I think it's interesting to hear how other school districts operate. I'm always telling my kids 'just b/c we do things a certain way here, doesn't mean that the rest of the world does the same thing.

Large high schools or small high schools, a kid who is talented enough to play varsity in middle school should be allowed to do so.

Some schools are combined JH/HS... Typically smaller schools or more remote areas. This is not common but also not uncommon.

The combined schools tend to not have the Junior High/Middle School sports that larger districts have. Everywhere is different, this does not make it wrong, it is how the district is set up and the rules set forth by the district and state. UCA nationals does put stipulations on this so those schools that are set up this way can still be a part of NHSCC if they would like and receive a bid.

Back