All-Star Tryout Stress Anyone?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sparkle Mom

Cheer Parent
Nov 30, 2014
Is anyone else particularly stressed by tryouts? My CP is considering a move to another gym and it is very stressful. Her gym is limited in the pool of athletes and we may have very little choice but to switch. It is so intimidating to go to tryout at new places when coming from a small setting for multiple years. It seems as though the hardest part will be to tell if it is the right fit simply from tryouts. The mega gym we went to seems as though everyone is in such competition with each other (parents and children) that it was very unfriendly. The large gym was more friendly but it seems impossible to know what it would really be like to be on a team at either. How do you know when it is the right fit?

Right fit depends on the person and what your goals are!
Of course but I am finding it difficult to find a balance between a supportive environment and a highly competitive team. My CP has become an advanced tumbler and is now wanting to be on a team where every teammate is highly driven. At 11 years old she is no longer satisfied with just having fun but at some places the over involved helicopter moms are a bit much for me.

Of course but I am finding it difficult to find a balance between a supportive environment and a highly competitive team. My CP has become an advanced tumbler and is now wanting to be on a team where every teammate is highly driven. At 11 years old she is no longer satisfied with just having fun but at some places the over involved helicopter moms are a bit much for me.

What feels right for your CP and what feels right for you might be very different. If she feels at home at big gym on a team with other athletes of her caliber and you find the parents to be obnoxious, then don't associate with the parents. It's possible you just met a bad batch of them and will find that not all of them are like that. Take her lead and go where she feels the best but also make sure she understands that there might always be the few that don't pull their weight; that's just part of being on a team.

I was team mom for my CP team last year and I disliked some of the moms but my daughter loved her team. I just stayed out of the gym and limited my interaction...as long as I was there on competition day my CP didn't care.

Did your cp already tryout? We switched gyms from a smallish gym to very large, multi-location gym last year. Cp actually had to do a private tryout as we missed tryouts. It was probably a GREAT thing in hindsight (even though the private tryout fee was OUCH!) bc the private tryout was very low key and the coach she tried out with was so laid back. Now that we just finished the regular tryout process, I can really see how it would be intimidating here for new folk. I think people (athletes and parents) act differently during tryouts. It is so hard not to get caught up in the "tryout" aspect of it all. Even though it isn't supposed to be competitive against each other, it is just hard not to be intimidated by others. Our gym is supportive & wonderful all season, but there was an undercurrent of "who has what" flowing through the parent room during tryouts that just isn't there usually. So if you can, see about a private tryout, especially at the big gym. Good luck!

What feels right for your CP and what feels right for you might be very different. If she feels at home at big gym on a team with other athletes of her caliber and you find the parents to be obnoxious, then don't associate with the parents. It's possible you just met a bad batch of them and will find that not all of them are like that. Take her lead and go where she feels the best but also make sure she understands that there might always be the few that don't pull their weight; that's just part of being on a team.

thank you for the advice! I just worry she likes the idea that it is well known rather than feeling comfortable. I think you really sum it up when you said she and I may have very different opinions of what is the right fit. I just want to make sure that she is also able to bond with teammates that are supportive especially with all the time and travel spent together.

I was team mom for my CP team last year and I disliked some of the moms but my daughter loved her team. I just stayed out of the gym and limited my interaction...as long as I was there on competition day my CP didn't care.

How old is your CP? I find that at her age it is so hard because I would rather remain out of the gossip and drama but she wants me to be around.

She is 14 but it was her 1st yr back at cheer since 2012. Trust me they want you there always. I just couldn't do it bc those mom's were DRAMA. I had to stay away or else I mightve gotten arrested.lol

How old is your CP? I find that at her age it is so hard because I would rather remain out of the gossip and drama but she wants me to be around.

You can be around without being in the drama. If you sit to watch, bring a book and headphones, or your laptop and do work (or pretend to work lol) If the moms start to get crazy, excuse yourself and go get a cup of coffee at a local shop, or step outside to make a fake phone call. If you show interest, they'll drag you in but if you make it clear you aren't into the drama, they should leave you alone. If they ask your opinion on something controversial you can always say, "I don't want to talk about that" or "I don't really have an opinion."

Did your cp already tryout? We switched gyms from a smallish gym to very large, multi-location gym last year. Cp actually had to do a private tryout as we missed tryouts. It was probably a GREAT thing in hindsight (even though the private tryout fee was OUCH!) bc the private tryout was very low key and the coach she tried out with was so laid back. Now that we just finished the regular tryout process, I can really see how it would be intimidating here for new folk. I think people (athletes and parents) act differently during tryouts. It is so hard not to get caught up in the "tryout" aspect of it all. Even though it isn't supposed to be competitive against each other, it is just hard not to be intimidated by others. Our gym is supportive & wonderful all season, but there was an undercurrent of "who has what" flowing through the parent room during tryouts that just isn't there usually. So if you can, see about a private tryout, especially at the big gym. Good luck!

She did already tryout and it was intimidating and quite rushed. We have tumbled at the large gym before and have been able to sit back and observe parents and coaches on multiple occasions. It is a very successful program but I was completely put off by the demeanor of many parents and athletes. It was much less welcoming in every respect but I'm not sure how that would impact her in the long run.

She is 14 but it was her 1st yr back at cheer since 2012. Trust me they want you there always. I just couldn't do it bc those mom's were DRAMA. I had to stay away or else I mightve gotten arrested.lol
I totally understand. I am so happy when I can drop and run but at the travel distance we are looking at I would have to wait out the practice time rather than go home. I guess I would end up at every store and coffee shop eventually!

You can be around without being in the drama. If you sit to watch, bring a book and headphones, or your laptop and do work (or pretend to work lol) If the moms start to get crazy, excuse yourself and go get a cup of coffee at a local shop, or step outside to make a fake phone call. If you show interest, they'll drag you in but if you make it clear you aren't into the drama, they should leave you alone. If they ask your opinion on something controversial you can always say, "I don't want to talk about that" or "I don't really have an opinion."

Very good point! I would have to stay out of the mama drama as I can't deal with it. I worry about what the other teammates would be like if that is the parent vibe.

I totally understand. I am so happy when I can drop and run but at the travel distance we are looking at I would have to wait out the practice time rather than go home. I guess I would end up at every store and coffee shop eventually!
That's why I love my iPad.on the off chance I was there and they were too I would connect to wifi and watch Netflix or the Fosters.lol

@seajack not sure how this is gossip. Did you accidentally rate it?

Back