All-Star Tryout Stress Anyone?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The more I think of this athlete's dilemma, I must blame the success of that 1 end of the season competition, The Summit... If you think about it, before The Summit, athletes were placed on teams based on what was most needed, now, I am hearing all about this tumbling assessments sheet and/or requirements and athletes must meet requirements of a level, before being placed on that level team...

Hmm, I wonder, if this wrong to expect all, if not, most athletes to meet certain criteria... I hate again to be a bearer of bad news, it seems to me that cheerleading as a sport, might be moving in the direction of perfecting skills before moving up/progression...Tbh, I've heard too many arguments about a less skill athletes being placed on higher level teams, which side is most correct? I still rather blame The Summit, though! js

I say we make up a tryout drinking game. A shot for every tweet about team placement calls!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I think of this athlete's dilemma, I must blame the success of that 1 end of the season competition, The Summit... If you think about it, before The Summit, athletes were placed on teams based on what was most needed, now, I am hearing all about this tumbling assessments sheet and/or requirements and athletes must meet requirements of a level, before being placed on that level team...

Hmm, I wonder, if this wrong to expect all, if not, most athletes to meet certain criteria... I hate again to be a bearer of bad news, it seems to me that cheerleading as a sport, might be moving in the direction of perfecting skills before moving up/progression...Tbh, I've heard too many arguments about a less skill athletes being placed on higher level teams, which side is most correct? I still rather blame The Summit, though! js
You cannot blame a single end of the year competition for gyms across the country trying to stack their teams full of tumblers to max out. They have to compete all year before that and might not even make it to the Summit. Teams want to be successful at EVERY competition, not just one.

I wish I could shimmy this 1000x
The summit has definitely changed the way teams are formed. I was told upfront at a tryout that based on what that had seen at the summit all teams will be required to have max tumbling at the current level! no longer ok to have minimum requirements for that level you have to have a speciality tumbling pass plus the highler level standing tumbling requirement!

You cannot blame a single end of the year competition for gyms across the country trying to stack their teams full of tumblers to max out. They have to compete all year before that and might not even make it to the Summit. Teams want to be successful at EVERY competition, not just one.
Hey @yooolizzi, I was just trying to bring some humor to a stressful conversation, but the more I think about it, it does seem like The Summit changed how coaches are thinking about team placements. I heard so much about tumbling assessment and it seems the coaches are sticking to their battery of requirements... I was just wondering, if The Summit had anything to do with this new approach to the sport...

PS: I bet the evolution of that Worlds competition, probably had the same situation and growing pains too... I think this is a good thing and the sport will continue to grow because of these changes...jmo

Last edited:
Yep. If I was on a level 4 team and had skills to be level 5 - even if I wasn't the strongest level 5 athlete - and saw people on the level 5 team who had less skills than me, it wouldn't matter if my team won Varsity's newest Universe Championship comp, I'd still complain and be dissatisfied with my placement.

Or if I was placed on a team that didn't travel to the comps I wanted to go to while the others did.

Or if I was 15 and on a junior team with all 11 year olds when my gym has countless senior teams I could've been placed on.

Families spend a lot of time and money on cheer. "Be happy with your placement because you're winning titles on it" isn't always going to make me a happy customer. Gyms like to forget that their customers are in fact customers and pay money for a service the second they complain about placements. In what other business would the seller say "be happy with what you got even if you aren't satisfied" to their customer? I can't think of any besides youth sports.

And that's all fine, well and dandy.

That's when you take your coins and find a new gym. And if there isn't another gym around, then oh well

I've known plenty of folks to try out at multiple gyms to see which levels they will get put on. That's fine. It's your money.

But anyway. I think a lot of issues with placements come from parents thinking they know it all. I'm sure my sister feels like my niece should be level 4 because she can throwing level 4 skills.....me, not so much.

The amount of money parents spend on Allstar no one wants to be a Team that's just about having fun. My CP was apart of teams like that & now she wants to win or atleast stand a chance. Filling teams with non appropriate level athletes can make it difficult for a team to be competitive. If your level 2 has strong tumblers but lacking strong stunters I can see bring up athletes. Being disappointed about a demotion in team placement is not easy to accept but throwing a fit, crying & letting it ruin your cheer career is not good. I agree trying another gym may be the best thing. I also believe learning how to adapt to difficult situations can be a good life lesson. I don't know what I would do for my child but having her be miserable is something I would try to fix. If you're going to end up leaving maybe talk to the owners/coaches as a last resort before heading to another gym. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back