Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 18, 2012
So, I really want to get onto the competition team in my high school next year. To get on Varsity, you have to have a standing back tuck and a back handspring.

Right now I have a back and front walkover and cartwheel/roundoff...that's about it.

Does anybody have any tips on getting a back handspring? (I'm trying to get this first before attempting a back tuck obviously).

Thanks!

Don't try it on your own! Go to a local cheerleading gym and take classes there! The coaches would be glad to help and spot you on it!
Steps to a Backhandspring
1. As you swing sit back.
2. Jump up and backwards.
3. Snap down and rebound!
always rebound (you are going to add a tuck to it one day

Don't try it on your own! Go to a local cheerleading gym and take classes there! The coaches would be glad to help and spot you on it!
Steps to a Backhandspring
1. As you swing sit back.
2. Jump up and backwards.
3. Snap down and rebound!
always rebound (you are going to add a tuck to it one day

Well I wasn't going to exactly try it on my own (my dad would be spotting) but I there is no local gyms I can go to because there are no weekend classes. I have access to mats and a large open space (my family friend has a gym type thing that i can use whenever), but my dad isn't exactly a "trained/experienced" spotter...sooooo...yeah lol

If no local gymnastics or cheerleading center for you to take classes or lessons at go talk to the varsity coach and ask for their help assuming they are trained and certified. If they do not teach tumbling themselves maybe they know someone who does. Under no circumstances should you rely on an untrained person to teach you as it will increase your chance of injury (and theirs) and if not taught and learned properly will prevent you from progressing to more advanced skills or tumbling combinations.

Back