High School Uca High School Nationals 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Again I could be wrong. Gameday is not something we've ever done, however I did try to enter this year for nationals and our state rep sent me an email that we couldn't because we didn't get a bid at a UCA qualifying competition. Now it could be that we didn't do a regionals or gameday focused camp and maybe that's why, but he made it sound like competition was the only way to do it.

You have to attend camp in order to compete in Gameday...

but you can only compete in Gameday if you earn a bid to nationals in another division.

Example:

I have a large varsity all girl team.
I go to camp, therefore I am allowed to participate in gameday at nationals
I attend the nationals qualifier, but I am unable to secure a bid to UCA nationals in Large Varsity, all-girl
I therefore cannot compete in Gameday at Nationals.

Gameday is like an "add-on"

but you can only compete in Gameday if you earn a bid to nationals in another division.

Example:

I attend the nationals qualifier, but I am unable to secure a bid to UCA nationals in Large Varsity, all-girl

Very informative! I wasn't aware you couldn't go just for gameday or that it started at camp! We've only ever done elite camps and iron mans, so I'm not familiar with gameday at all. That must of been why we couldn't enter (not becase we didn't go to a comp for it but because we didn't go to camp for it?) We thought it would be a fun extra at nationals and learned that we couldn't just do it, so now it all makes sense! Thanks for breaking it down.

Very informative! I wasn't aware you couldn't go just for gameday or that it started at camp! We've only ever done elite camps and iron mans, so I'm not familiar with gameday at all. That must of been why we couldn't enter (not becase we didn't go to a comp for it but because we didn't go to camp for it?) We thought it would be a fun extra at nationals and learned that we couldn't just do it, so now it all makes sense! Thanks for breaking it down.

No problem,

I have been elbows deep in this stuff for the last year, as I have began coaching a high school team officially for the first time (I had previously only done choreography, routine cleanup, clinics, etc). The high school where I coach previously attended nationals, but when they started doing so their game presence went to crap. So, I've got a deal with the AD that as we look presentable at games, we can go to nationals. I have been eyeing this gameday thing, because I figure what better way to prepare for games, than to prepare for competing in a game-like setting.

Yes, you are reading it correctly
Interesting because a lot of the really big UCA contenders around here don't do UCA camp. We don't do it every year, and weren't planning to this season. I'm foreseeing lots of home camps or day camp work around's going on. Thats a $400+ added expense for teams that don't always do camps!
What was Varsity's rationale for this? I can't see it as anything but more guaranteed $$ in their pockets from each team.

Interesting because a lot of the really big UCA contenders around here don't do UCA camp. We don't do it every year, and weren't planning to this season. I'm foreseeing lots of home camps or day camp work around's going on. Thats a $400+ added expense for teams that don't always do camps!
My cps' team has done home camps the past two years. The camps have been 3-4 day camps and were about $150-200. I wonder if a mini home camp would work.

Example:

Thank goodness for that rule, keeps out a lot of teams that really aren't cut out to be there.

Someone tell me how camp will be different this year? All I see is the typical stuff with it labeled as "spirit ambassador" etc. Scam to get more money!

No problem,

I have been elbows deep in this stuff for the last year, as I have began coaching a high school team officially for the first time (I had previously only done choreography, routine cleanup, clinics, etc). The high school where I coach previously attended nationals, but when they started doing so their game presence went to crap. So, I've got a deal with the AD that as we look presentable at games, we can go to nationals. I have been eyeing this gameday thing, because I figure what better way to prepare for games, than to prepare for competing in a game-like setting.
They have to pay for that brand new arena at ESPN they are building!!! All $$$ driven !
That and soo many teams didn't even remotely look ready for that stage this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Um! Hand-Raise! We were one of them!!! I swear we are better than that :(
(shaking head in hands on forehead in chair in "sound area" while audio gal next to You tells you your routine is over... And your only reply is to look up and say "good")

Of course this helps make more money and increases camp attendance! Brilliant actually on the part of UCA as a business. However... I feel it ALSO sort of raises the bar a little... something I personally welcome for my program. I'm also on board with any implementation of safety and spirit education.
Also gives teams the chance to hit two birds with one stone. Genius.

Someone tell me how camp will be different this year? All I see is the typical stuff with it labeled as "spirit ambassador" etc. Scam to get more money!

1). Coaches reception on Day 1 w/ big bro/sis

2). New and improved leadership training

3). Revamped stunt classes and pyramids

4). Squad credentialing

You can read more here: 2016 Cheerleading Camps | UCA Cheer Camps

Personally I'm really looking forward to #1 so I can get to know the coaches I'll be working with more and help them get the most out of their camp experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back