High School Uca Nationals Vs Nca Nationals: Which Is The True Nationals For Scholastic Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
In my opinion, it's UCA Nationals (est. 1980) but as far as I know, NCA was started afterwards (correct me if I'm wrong). Plus, while I respect NCA, UCA shows more well-rounded cheerleading; teams are required to perform to music, and do a crowd-leading cheer. What do you guys think?

I think UCA is definitely the place for scholastic teams, NCA seems more "all-star" style to me. But that's just my opinion :)

I agree with this! I also personally prefer the UCA style high school routines compared to the NCA. I don't like the long "telling a story" type cheers. Easier for me to follow a UCA cheer, but then again, that's what I'm used to doing on the teams I've been on

In my opinion UCA is where the best of the best scholastic and recreational teams go.. You have to EARN a bid to go... Which means you have to attend a UCA regional comp and earn a bid... Yes a lot of bids are given.... None are paid for.
UCA nationals is not leveled like NCA, not bashing anyone just stating the facts... The only separations are by division of team size... Small, med, lg, super , coed or all girl, and school size div 1 or div 2
Varsity , jv, middle school, recreational teams. They do offer non tumble and non building divisions now as well. But if your small varsity you are competing with the best schools in the country!!!! Nothing beats this comp if you compete there and if you make it to finals and win!!!
Almost 600 teams this year!
I love UCA if
Your a school team for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very much a UCA person. Maybe its the area and way I was raised, but I just don't understand the point of the NCA cheers. Not to say there aren't some talented advanced teams at NCA, but UCA IMO has the best of the best overall. I think it's the old school mentality of UCA that I like. You want to be the best? You work your way up the ranks and earn it. There aren't levels to make you feel better about yourself for not being the best. NCA reminds me of what I don't like about youth sports these days. The everyone is a winner, everyone gets a trophy mentality. Having different levels makes it easy for (insert new school here) in the novice division to walk away "National Champions." If you see someone walking around in that white jacket, you know they're good, there is no wondering if they were on some team that just showed up and did some roundoffs.

I do love the NCA college format though! They do a crowd leading cheer first and then separately do an all music portion. I wouldn't mind if UCA adopted that same sort of method, but thats probably my all-star background coming out that loves 2:30 of a music routine.

I'm very much a UCA person. Maybe its the area and way I was raised, but I just don't understand the point of the NCA cheers. Not to say there aren't some talented advanced teams at NCA, but UCA IMO has the best of the best overall. I think it's the old school mentality of UCA that I like. You want to be the best? You work your way up the ranks and earn it. There aren't levels to make you feel better about yourself for not being the best. NCA reminds me of what I don't like about youth sports these days. The everyone is a winner, everyone gets a trophy mentality. Having different levels makes it easy for (insert new school here) in the novice division to walk away "National Champions." If you see someone walking around in that white jacket, you know they're good, there is no wondering if they were on some team that just showed up and did some roundoffs.

I do love the NCA college format though! They do a crowd leading cheer first and then separately do an all music portion. I wouldn't mind if UCA adopted that same sort of method, but thats probably my all-star background coming out that loves 2:30 of a music routine.
Yes to all of this. Put me in the same division as Dunbar or Southwestern so that I know how good I am compared to the big name schools! This is UCA, there is no room for cushioning bruised egos.

There are different styles of cheerleading, which is why both NCA and UCA exist. To say one is better than the other is wrong to me. They are completely different.
I understand and respect that; however, it's a little ridiculous that an advanced team with amazing skills can go to NCA and not win, while a team w/ low level tumbling and stunting can go home w/ black jackets. It makes no sense. A beginner team wouldn't make it past prelims at UCA, whereas the advanced team would be able to take their well-earned place in finals.

I understand and respect that; however, it's a little ridiculous that an advanced team with amazing skills can go to NCA and not win, while a team w/ low level tumbling and stunting can go home w/ black jackets. It makes no sense. A beginner team wouldn't make it past prelims at UCA, whereas the advanced team would be able to take their well-earned place in finals.
Different styles like @yoolizzi said. It's more like allstar with levels. Level 1 and level 5 teams can earn jackets at NCA allstar Nationals, and that's mirrored in the divisions at NCA HS Nationals. I don't think it's ridiculous at all - not your preference, okay, but not ridiculous - it's based on the same philosophy as allstar
I've never been to nationals or paid much attention for HS but I prefer NCA style routines. For college I would definitely rather go to NCA.

Different styles like @yoolizzi said. It's more like allstar with levels. Level 1 and level 5 teams can earn jackets at NCA allstar Nationals, and that's mirrored in the divisions at NCA HS Nationals. I don't think it's ridiculous at all - not your preference, okay, but not ridiculous - it's based on the same philosophy as allstar
I've never been to nationals or paid much attention for HS but I prefer NCA style routines. For college I would definitely rather go to NCA.

I prefer UCA style for high school but I agree I don't think having beginner/ advanced divisions at NCA is much different than UCA Nationals having a non-tumbling division. I have mixed feelings on non-tumbling and beginer divisions. They are fair and work for some schools but I also think athletes should be pushed to improve and make up points in other areas. We had one of the lower tumbling scores in our division this year and still placed well!

Last edited:

I prefer UCA style for high school but I agree I don't think having beginner/ advanced divisions at NCA is much different than UCA Nationals having a non-tumbling division. I have mixed feelings on non-tumbling and beginer divisions. They are fair and work for some schools but I also think athletes should be pushed to improve and make up points in other areas. We had one of the lower tumbling scores in our division this year and still placed well!
Very true. I love the beach environment of NCA College Nationals. The fact that it happens in April guarantees good weather and peak performance (though they really need to find a some sort of cover for the bandstand; I would hate to have the sun in my eyes while stunting), and it's so lively.

Back