High School Uca Nationals Vs Nca Nationals: Which Is The True Nationals For Scholastic Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nca nationals is definitely the original since UCA was a spin off of NCA. Jeff Webb used to be an NCA instructor.

I love both nationals for different reasons. UCA teams have great stunt technique and crowd leading skills. NCA teams put on a show while doing it. Every NCA champion who has gone to UCA always wins IE. Judson, Union, Benton and several others.
NCA was the first camp company (hence why he was an instructor before UCA camp was created), created in 1948. Do you have any records of the first NCA comp (I know I sound combative haha, but I just want concrete records for future discussions)?

Based on what I'm seeing on the websites:
High School: NCA- 1982, UCA- 1980
All Star: NCA: 1989, UCA- 1995
College: can't find UCA but NCA was 1983

I'm team NCA, but that's just because that's the style I'm used to. Even though we weren't allowed to leave the state, my high school routines were similar. I definitely prefer NCA college style over UCA college, too.
I thought NCA All-Star Nationals began earlier than that? I'm thinking back to the 30 Years of All Star mini-documentary.

Here is what I know for sure:

1948-Herkie held the first cheer camp at SMU, while he was still a teacher at SMU.

1961-NCA is created. By this point Herkie is making bank and has quit his teaching job.

1974-Jeff Webb, who at the time was general manager of NCA, created UCA out of his apartment. UCA camps taught more difficult skills that NCA camps. (I am pretty sure that this attracted the South's hardcore cheer programs and gave him the idea to start a national comp.)

1980-First UCA Nationals is held for colleges and high school teams. In it's first year, the HS Nationals only had one division: Varsity. The next year, there was a split into coed and all-girl. JH division wasn't added until 1993.

Last edited:
Back