All-Star Uniform Trends/problems

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

! Uniforms should be custom to each athlete, especially when parents pay upwards of $350 bucks for them.
I feel like the uniform companies would be like "well for a custom fit it's gonna cost more..." But I agree with you, if parents are going to be spending prices similar to prom dresses then that uniform better fit like a glove. What if companies did something like (sorry if this doesn't make sense) you pay for your uniform (lets just say $300) and then for $75 more you can get alterations during the period that your gym uses the uniform. So it would be like phone insurence, like I pay $10 but if something happens to my phone I get it fixed without extra cost. Sooo for uniforms you'd pay a monthly or yearly or flat fee or whatever and let's say your mesh rips, they have to replace it w/ not additional cost. Could get messy if you have to send in your top to get fixed had have it sent back in a certain, small time frame but just a though. Does it even make sense? Lol. Hey uniform companies, if you want to use my idea then you can totally pay me for it ;)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I feel like the uniform companies would be like "well for a custom fit it's gonna cost more..." But I agree with you, if parents are going to be spending prices similar to prom dresses then that uniform better fit like a glove. What if companies did something like (sorry if this doesn't make sense) you pay for your uniform (lets just say $300) and then for $75 more you can get alterations during the period that your gym uses the uniform. So it would be like phone insurence, like I pay $10 but if something happens to my phone I get it fixed without extra cost. Sooo for uniforms you'd pay a monthly or yearly or flat fee or whatever and let's say your mesh rips, they have to replace it w/ not additional cost. Could get messy if you have to send in your top to get fixed had have it sent back in a certain, small time frame but just a though. Does it even make sense? Lol. Hey uniform companies, if you want to use my idea then you can totally pay me for it ;)

Yeah I get what you're saying! But I think the uniforms should be custom fitted from the start and then they can pay a sort of "insurance fee", and if anything happens to the uniform they can get it repaired. This fee can be optional but advised. Great idea! We should have our own uniform company lol.

Yeah I get what you're saying! But I think the uniforms should be custom fitted from the start and then they can pay a sort of "insurance fee", and if anything happens to the uniform they can get it repaired. This fee can be optional but advised. Great idea! We should have our own uniform company lol.
Exactly! We can do uniforms and your moms gorgeous bows :)

We took measurements for one athlete because they joined the program after we had already had the team fittings with sizers.

Guess who's uniform fit perfectly with no issues?

I'll never do sizers again. They're all stretched out and aren't true to size anymore. We will do measurements only from now on!

We took measurements for one athlete because they joined the program after we had already had the team fittings with sizers.

Guess who's uniform fit perfectly with no issues?

I'll never do sizers again. They're all stretched out and aren't true to size anymore. We will do measurements only from now on!

one of the best fitting (but the ugliest) uniforms i have ever had was the one that was made and sewn and measured by one parent she started sizing i would say about august for the gym and we would all have our uniforms by october and if anything needed to be adjusted she would do it on the spot while we were in practice.

GK does repairs for free on uniforms, never spent a dime to have the hem put back in my first uniform skirt.

We had to send back skirts and tops all the time for those to be repaired. It drove me up the wall having to send them back all the time. I wished they'd found a better way to stitch a hem. Their method is not sturdy at all.

Definitely not trying to start an argument, but I see a lot you saying that rhinestones and mystique and cut-outs are a huge reason why the sport isn't taken seriously.
Have y'all watched Olympic gymnastics? Figure skating?

I agree with this, but I feel like for figure skating, it's meant to be more of a "costume". The skaters outfit usually fits with the music choice. For gymnastics, I think they do a really nice job of incorporating rhinestones and mystic into leos but still making sure they look athletic. That's the direction that cheerleading uniforms need to take.

I'm completely baffled that uniform companies charge such outrageous prices and they're not even made to measure?! Granted, our uniform might be relatively simple, but it was completely custom designed, we got a new logo and every single athlete (about 100!) was measured with a tape measure and had their uniform custom made. Only cost £75 each. I seriously don't understand what constitutes such a jump in price for a product that a lot of people are saying doesn't even fit?

Offering to measure every athlete isn't so time consuming that it's impossible and it seems it would definitely please the customers!

Clearly a trend right now are cutouts...I don't even know if uniform companies sell bras or if it's possible to do something like this, but it would be awesome if there were actual good, supportive bras that were designed to go with the uniforms that do have an open back or shoulder cutouts. You wouldn't have to go around searching for some crazy dancer bra with clear straps that doesn't have any support. Gyms could order 20 of uniform A and 20 of sports bra A (that are specifically designed to work with uniform A) and get the cutout they want, a good bra, and the convenience of it all. Obviously it wouldn't really work if a gym designed a custom uniform, but any uniforms straight from the catalog with cutouts could have their own specially designed matching bra.
I AGREE!! Our CA uniforms are so difficult to match with a bra...we have gone through 3 different kinds with me driving all over Texas. Still have not found one. Only the clear straps but they give no support and my cp is small and needs minimal support but then when you jump up a size they have cups...ugh

CP13 has two uniforms. One has a mesh sleeve with stones and it's the only thing that continuously produces complaints. She's a backspot on that team and her arm is covered in bright red scratches after every competition. I've put my hand in it flipping it inside out to wash and it's like sandpaper in there.

The other has stones but not on mesh, just regular fabric. It's actually our favorite uniform in the entire program, I just love it and so does she (it's the one in my new avi <----

However I will say both have to be worn with a strapless/bandeau bra. Gratefully for her, she has little to speak of so that's okay but I don't even like wearing one of those with my clothes...they just don't stay where they should...so I can't imagine competing a lv5 routine in one, especially if you're "gifted."

That being said, can we talk about guy uniforms? No one talks about them really and you know why??

They don't have crazy cutouts. They don't have mesh and stones. They cover everything appropriately (nothing hanging out). The full length tops always have plenty of length. And the programs that do it RIGHT make them match the girls uniforms perfectly....without all that nonsense. Why can't we just use the same approach to girls uniforms and be done because it's very clear to me there's a whole different philosophy behind guys (make them athletic and functional) and girls (make them sexy and "eye catching"). The guys philosophy works with little to no issue. The girls philosophy spawns pages upon pages of discussion.

As for parent input, there's another foreign concept. In our cheer life we've bought 10 uniforms in 8 years (4 this season alone). I've never once been asked my opinion. That's another philosophical thing that just doesn't happen. The reveal happens for us and the kids along with everyone else. I just go with the flow because it's all I've ever known but if you stop and think about it, that's a lot of money to dish out to have zero input or information.

So I just hold my breath and hope that my $300 is going to come out amazing rather than Ill-fitting or not functional. Gratefully the new uniform we've got coming in the next two weeks is for my son so I'm excited and not worried a bit. (See previous discussion on gender philosophy) But it doesn't change the fact I paid $300 and still have zero idea what it looks like.

That being said I can't wait to see them :)

When doing crystals on mesh, use a "flesh" toned material underneath.... I realize that people come in all different shades, however Id rather my child have the wrong shade of color under her mesh then an arm full of bruises and cuts from the crystals....
I read this as "When doing crystal meth...." at first, lol!

Back