All-Star Uniforms: Illegal Or Not?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There was a question regarding something similar to cells choker in the "Is this legal" forum. It was ruled legal, though many of us had the same questions presented here.

I
@rvnblue
It's not a matter of how great it looks, it's a matter of safety. The reason why I would consider a choker a piece of jewelry, and deduct for it, is because by definition a choker is a necklace.
The reason that they are considered a safety risk is because a finger can become hooked in it, causing a finger injury to that athlete and a neck injury to the athlete wearing the necklace (even if it has a velcro closure). The arm piece that connects around the neck is permitted because it is a larger piece of material, it's like a mock turtleneck.
Here's the USASF rule:
7. Jewelry of any kind including but not limited to ear, nose, tongue, belly button and facial rings, clear plastic
jewelry, bracelets, necklaces and pins on uniforms are not allowed. Jewelry must be removed and may not be taped over. Exception: medical ID tags/bracelets, and uniform rhinestones. Rhinestones are not allowed when adhered to the skin as opposed to a uniform. Temporary tattoos are also allowed.

I agree that this rule needs to be applied consistently.
We are the ones calling it a choker so we cannot define anything. The starlites uniform on one side of the neck is like the "choker" we are referring to. It is being used as a uniform part so it should be legal in my opinion.

No matter if something is attached to the uniform or not, it can still be a safety issue.

But, what is the difference safety wise if a choker is not connected to the uniform or if it is connected by a few strings.
I would assume all chokers are attached by Velcro. If it is a button or snap then it definitely is a safety issue. I think velcro collars would come off easy if somehow it got snagged on something as long as its not super strong a lot of it.
But when looked at the rule, i would say, how do I anticipate this being a safety hazard. Under what situation would this cause an issue, and can it easily be remedied.

On a side note. at the bottom of the page it says "Users found this page by search for:" and one of the words is "Trashy". Cracks me up!

No matter if something is attached to the uniform or not, it can still be a safety issue.

But, what is the difference safety wise if a choker is not connected to the uniform or if it is connected by a few strings.
I would assume all chokers are attached by Velcro. If it is a button or snap then it definitely is a safety issue. I think velcro collars would come off easy if somehow it got snagged on something as long as its not super strong a lot of it.
But when looked at the rule, i would say, how do I anticipate this being a safety hazard. Under what situation would this cause an issue, and can it easily be remedied.

On a side note. at the bottom of the page it says "Users found this page by search for:" and one of the words is "Trashy". Cracks me up!

I think someone said they were made of stretchy material. So I would guess they just stretched over the girls heads and onto their necks.

I think someone said they were made of stretchy material. So I would guess they just stretched over the girls heads and onto their necks.
Then i think that is an issue. if my finger slips in there, then its going to choke you and break my finger.

I think if thought about enough, just about any part of a uniform that is untraditional could be deemed a risk for injury. What about uniform cutouts? If not fitted properly, couldn't an athlete's foot/hand/finger/toe/head/shoulders/knees & toes.. get stuck? Just a thought- maybe we're overthinking a bit :)

USASF called. Your concerns have been voted on. We cannot have our athletes in danger. Uniforms are changing and will be mandatory!
unitard-1.jpg

i feel like a stretchy choker would be more dangerous than an ankle band. at least if something gets caught on your ankle you wont risk cutting airwaves for breathing.

The amount of hairspray the girls use to make those curls stay and freeze could poke an eye out. BAN HAIRSPRAY!

USASF called. Your concerns have been voted on. We cannot have our athletes in danger. Uniforms are changing and will be mandatory!
unitard-1.jpg

Im totally for it!! Everyone could just order it in there team colors, slap a logo on it and done!! Also this would save me alot of time...no more hours of curling hair :)

Surely a choker that comes apart easily, such as with velcro, is FAR LESS dangerous than a piece of material joined to the uniform and wrapping around the neck. If it's joined to the uniform, surely there's more risk of it getting caught and not giving way in the event that it does.

Back