College University Of Florida

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 18, 2013
So my friend is over and she's talking about trying out at UF (if she gets in) next year. She wanted to come here first to see if anyone knew someone that has gone through the process at Florida! One thing is that she's 5'6'', UF doesn't compete, and may still be somewhat grounded. They are also strictly coed, but does anyone know if they are more open to tall flyers? Also, any other input about UF cheerleading is greatly appreciated!

If I'm not mistaken, the UF cheerleaders are still grounded. But nevertheless, UF has the reputation of being one of the top around sports schools in the United States.

They are still grounded...this is my high schoolers dream college so we have done some research. The spirit squad is coed, they cheer at games. They can do shoulder sits, toss toe touches...no stunting above the shoulders from what we can see. They are only requiring a standing backhand spring as well for tryouts. Now there is a club competitive cheer squad that is all girl and competes. She is looking to do both... IF she gets in....which is the hardest part! Good luck to your friend..maybe she and my girl will be there at the same time!

Does anybody know why they became grounded? They have a skills video on their website from the 2008-2009 season and their stunting is good!

I believe it was related to the injury an Orlando Magic Cheerleader/Dancer sustained last season during one of their games - during a half time? performance I believe. After that incident, UF grounded their cheer program.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Does anybody know why they became grounded? They have a skills video on their website from the 2008-2009 season and their stunting is good!

Okay, so at an Orlando Magic game they have this group called their stunt team.(it's coed) Mainly made up of college/ex-college cheerleaders. During one of the timeouts they went out, did some tumbling, basket tosses, and then at the end were doing a 2-2-1 if I'm not mistaken...I was actually at this game so obviously I paid attention to everything they did! On one side, the guy tossed the girl to a shoulder stand, she was unstable, so she came back down. Then when trying to get her back up they was confusion with both trying to go at different times. However, once she was back up, the guy spotting in the back leaves to go do his stunt, she was still unstable and that's when she fell. She fell backwards and hit the upper part of her back. Her partner couldn't catch her due to the way she fell, there were no mats, and no spotter.

So this brings us to Florida.....
Due to this accident UF decided to ground their team, and it was literally the day before senior day and the last home football game..Anyways, one reason was for "safety reasons." :rolleyes:
But it is more than just for the safety of the cheerleaders. Since cheerleading is not considered a sport at UF, they do not have the proper insurance that the rest of the sports do. They made the decision to ground them instead of paying to have the team insured. The decision to ground them was actually made by the marketing department...
And actually, about half of their cheerleaders were not told directly about it. They had to find out from the other half of the cheerleaders!

Sorry this was all a bit long. Haha.

Actually they aren't completely grounded anymore. When they were first grounded they were not allowed to do ANY tumbling or stunting. However, they are still limited but are allowed to do things such as standing and running bhs, toss to chair, and toss toe touch. Nothing more advanced though. So not totally grounded but not ungrounded either.
I personally think that her height wouldn't be too much of a big deal given the circumstances, but I don't know anything about their program besides for the things provided on the website and what I see at games. hah. Anyone have an idea about this?

Okay, so at an Orlando Magic game they have this group called their stunt team.(it's coed) Mainly made up of college/ex-college cheerleaders. During one of the timeouts they went out, did some tumbling, basket tosses, and then at the end were doing a 2-2-1 if I'm not mistaken...I was actually at this game so obviously I paid attention to everything they did! On one side, the guy tossed the girl to a shoulder stand, she was unstable, so she came back down. Then when trying to get her back up they was confusion with both trying to go at different times. However, once she was back up, the guy spotting in the back leaves to go do his stunt, she was still unstable and that's when she fell. She fell backwards and hit the upper part of her back. Her partner couldn't catch her due to the way she fell, there were no mats, and no spotter.

So this brings us to Florida.....
Due to this accident UF decided to ground their team, and it was literally the day before senior day and the last home football game..Anyways, one reason was for "safety reasons." :rolleyes:
But it is more than just for the safety of the cheerleaders. Since cheerleading is not considered a sport at UF, they do not have the proper insurance that the rest of the sports do. They made the decision to ground them instead of paying to have the team insured. The decision to ground them was actually made by the marketing department...
And actually, about half of their cheerleaders were not told directly about it. They had to find out from the other half of the cheerleaders!

Sorry this was all a bit long. Haha.
Ohhhh I remember that!! I was kinda freaked out to do shoulder stands at basketball games right after that but thankfully we don't toss up to them. That's terrible that the cheerleaders had to find out on their own and they got grounded just like that.

Ohhhh I remember that!! I was kinda freaked out to do shoulder stands at basketball games right after that but thankfully we don't toss up to them. That's terrible that the cheerleaders had to find out on their own and they got grounded just like that.
I'm pretty sure I was the only cheerleader in my area so I felt like I was freaking out more than everyone else. Never did I see the stunt team do anymore cheer related things after that.

The decision was made within about a week of the incident at the Magic game. I also know that the ones that didn't know (the blue team) found out from the orange team only an hour before having to cheer at a game that night. I can't even imagine how angry and confused they all were. I think I would personally lose some school spirit. It sends the message that the school you dedicate so much time and energy to support, doesn't even respect or support you back. It is very sad that there are schools like UF and TCU* that have put silly rules on cheerleaders. Because they are usually created by a group of men that know nothing about the sport.
"Safety" is not a real excuse.

*not sure if the ban TCU placed is still in effect*

I'm pretty sure I was the only cheerleader in my area so I felt like I was freaking out more than everyone else. Never did I see the stunt team do anymore cheer related things after that.

The decision was made within about a week of the incident at the Magic game. I also know that the ones that didn't know (the blue team) found out from the orange team only an hour before having to cheer at a game that night. I can't even imagine how angry and confused they all were. I think I would personally lose some school spirit. It sends the message that the school you dedicate so much time and energy to support, doesn't even respect or support you back. It is very sad that there are schools like UF and TCU* that have put silly rules on cheerleaders. Because they are usually created by a group of men that know nothing about the sport.
"Safety" is not a real excuse.

*not sure if the ban TCU placed is still in effect*
I can't believe they found out from the other team, not even a coach! Wow...definitely would have lost some school spirit. I hope in the future those schools get the ban lifted all the way.

Back