All-Star Unrecognized Talent (#shouldbecheerlebritystatus)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I talk about the ones who have let it go to their heads I am in no way talking about the girls on the picture above. I have seen nothing but good things from those athletes and am glad that they can keep their genuine kindness. The athletes that I have seen who have turned this positive into a negative are mostly boys. Why? I have no idea but it really is a nasty side to it all.

I think one athlete that should have "cheerceleb" status is the girl on WCSS who gave away her jacket to the little boy at NCA. That right there makes her worthy of being mixed in with these other athletes. Who cares if she can't tumble like Kiara or Whitney (I have no idea if she can or not) she has a heart of gold and that is special in itself.

Completely agree. But My question is what happened to the Team aspect of this sport? Even though i know its still there. It's just that People keep getting singled out and called "Cheerlebrities" left and right now a days. With the meet & greets & videos being put on YouTube about individuals....what is this sport becoming exactly?

When I talk about the ones who have let it go to their heads I am in no way talking about the girls on the picture above. I have seen nothing but good things from those athletes and am glad that they can keep their genuine kindness. The athletes that I have seen who have turned this positive into a negative are mostly boys. Why? I have no idea but it really is a nasty side to it all.

I think one athlete that should have "cheerceleb" status is the girl on WCSS who gave away her jacket to the little boy at NCA. That right there makes her worthy of being mixed in with these other athletes. Who cares if she can't tumble like Kiara or Whitney (I have no idea if she can or not) she has a heart of gold and that is special in itself.

I know on a personal level there are a lot of requests for favors, charity, illness, wishes, dreams that are responded to that you never hear about, so don't assume that if there is no publicity it does not happen. That said, props to the young woman from WC, that indeed is the spirit of cheerlebrity. Carry on, do not want to divert the thread, but just to let you know.

Another person who stick out to me is the little girl on CA Jags that jumps center! She's too fierce and owns that spot :)

I'm a bit confused on a few of your posts...you have mentioned a few times that you have seen being a cheerlebrity "go to athlete's heads" or, above, you mention that the athletes in that picture have kept their poise through it all...so you feel that you know these kids well enough on a personal level to say "they've changed" or "they've stayed the same", but yet you think we shouldn't pay attention to them and shouldn't talk about them...?

I understand where you're coming from that we shouldn't obsess over kids, but the fact that you don't like the phenomenon but are inevitably pulled into it anyway kinda contradicts that. I dunno, just a thought...speaks to the nature of the "problem" (if you see it as one).

We saw Angel at Cheersport when she did so you think you can tumble. We were not familiar with her but as soon as she went, we were all hooked and became huge fans. She is awesome.

Cameron is from our gym Vizion. He too is an awesome athlete and when we travel kids always ask for their picture with him. I have even stood and heard older girls yell OMG there he is. It is so funny. He is so darn cute and can perform like a pro so I understand.

It's seriously getting out of hand. For example.
AoJ5EUkCMAArRUf.jpg

Seriously????:banghead:
Wow. That's just.....wow. Somewhere, someone forgot this is a team sport.

As a parent of a level 5 veteran athlete, this whole "cheerlebrity" thing is really getting out of hand and is really going to some of these kids heads which is distracting them from doing their jobs on their team and honestly, is going to get them in trouble & make their gym look bad! As parents, our jobs is to keep them humble & grounded! There are tons of amazing athletes that no one knows- they don't brag, sign autographs, tweet about how great they are- they just go to practice, do their jobs and love the sport! EVERY team at every gym on every level has talented kids! And EVERY level 5 team have those "stand outs" and I would never want to minimize what they do great... Just want us, as parents, to make sure we keep our kids focused on what this is.. a team sport! It takes ALL of them! And in my eyes, every level 5 athlete is talented or they wouldn't be on the team... Just my opinion ;)

Well said! My daughter especially would never be the cheerlebrity status because she does exactly what you say here. (shes not a 5, no where close to spinning yet). She actually prefers to be in the background (a good quality in a fierce base) But I actually think folks who reach that status with everyone else, slip with her, especially with sponsored autograph signings. She definitely has an opinion about that when you're supposed to be at a competition with your team. I can't blame her, she gets her opinionated nature from me :)

Wow. That's just.....wow. Somewhere, someone forgot this is a team sport.

I think you may be taking it a little far here. I don't think being a "Cheerlebrity" or standout makes it any less a team sport. I mean really, think about it with any sport, lets take basketball and the Chicago Bulls, EVERYONE knows who Michael Jordan is, heck you can even add Scotty Pippen in but very few can recall the names of the rest of the team. It's just the way things are. I for one have never looked at a team and said they would be nothing without...... One person does not make or break a team no matter how good they are.

I think you may be taking it a little far here. I don't think being a "Cheerlebrity" or standout makes it any less a team sport. I mean really, think about it with any sport, lets take basketball and the Chicago Bulls, EVERYONE knows who Michael Jordan is, heck you can even add Scotty Pippen in but very few can recall the names of the rest of the team. It's just the way things are. I for one have never looked at a team and said they would be nothing without...... One person does not make or break a team no matter how good they are.
I see what you're saying and don't disagree. And I enjoy watching certain people, I mentioned one here that caught my attention even though I didn't know who they were. I really enjoy watching angel rice at so you think you can tumble but I couldn't pick her out on orange if I tried....I'm apparently not that observant when theyre out on the floor together.

I think the part where I think the cheerlebrity thing goes to far gets to what I think some people are meaning to say here. The cheerlebrity thing gets out of hand when people are creeping on 14 year old girls (just picked an age out of the thin air if that happens to be someone's age out there, that's coincidence). I also think it gets out of hand when the obsession over one individual overshadows the other people on their team that help make their collective success happen. What I'd really love to see is a true "cheerlebrity" drag their whole stunt group to autograph signings (or refuse to do them at a competition theyre competing at, because they need to be focused on their job and team) or consistently deflect some of that obsessive attention to the others on the team. That would be a great cheerlebrity that shows they're grounded.

Now, I don't obsess over these folks, go to autograph signings, ask for pictures etc and neither do my kids because they're really not fans of the cheerlebrity institution, so maybe some of these are doing that. If so, then I say your status is well deserved and carry on. If not, perhaps consider giving some of your props to the people that help you accomplish them everyday.

That's all I mean.

Tre Lee on Platinum! TOE-DUB
Cheered and trained with him for his first several years! I have a video somewhere of his first year and he bust a round off handspring tuck. It is so great to see how much he has accomplished and how much I want him to take home a worlds ring this year!

True. The people talking like they know these kids have no idea what they are saying here either. Free country, but inaccurate. My understanding is that this show is a webcast in an attempt to get it on TV and these pictured kids are cameo shots to give the show cred for the public. They are not playing the roles and acting past the cameos. But as with all things, my adult child was approached by the producers in Dallas and agreed to go after she sees the scripts they are proposing for her cameo. Meeting someone for a few seconds at an event or listening to the absolute BS on Twitter or in social media does not qualify one to make judgements of a kid's motivation or character. Now, great thread, get back to the people that the OP targeted, the hundreds of kids with talent that deserve recognition.
I don't think anyone's questioned any of these kid's motivations or character. I have nothing against the athletes themselves. I'm sure they're all great people, (and FWIW, through everyone's posts on this board in the past, it seems as though your daughter has a great head on her shoulders). For me, it's more about the fans that have created this 'cheerlebrity'/godlike sensation that now surrounds the sport. I don't like it. Years ago, you knew who the 'good' athletes were simply because they stood out in their routines (Ambrel, Flea, Matt McGrath, Tye Hill & the fierce flyer on CA with the bob are a few that come to mind), but there weren't fan pages, meet & greets, or crazy stalker fans on twitter. All of it rubs me the wrong way, and it appears I'm not alone. I know social media certainly wasn't as prominent back then as it is now, and I think that needs to take some of the blame, but I'm sorry, I just simply don't like the fact that people are being sensationalized to the point that they are nowadays.

Back