All-Star Usasf 2015-2017 Cheer Safety Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am confused about run tumbling for r5 . Can you do whips and front punch passes with fulls if a back handspring is thrown before the full?

So "release moves that land in extended position must originate from waste level or below..." So this means level four cannot do "high low" tic tocks.... Correct?? Only "tick ups"??
Your video example shows a power press low high (from an extended stunt, press, extended...this is illegal and was previously in L4).

2014/15 Rule: Release moves that land in extended position must originate from ground-level and may not involve any twisting or flipping.

2015/16 Rule: Release moves that land in extended position must originate from waist level or below and may not involve twisting or flipping.

It clarifies that you cannot do a low high out of a prep level stunt (or out of a power press) into extended level (which you couldn't do before, but now you can out of waist level).

Example 1: Extended liberty, pressed into a prep and did a tic toc back into an extended stunt = not allowed
Example 2: Prep level liberty, tic toc into extended level = not allowed
Example 3: Reload/squish/waist level stunt, tic toc into extended lib = allowed

Last edited:
Your video example shows a power press low high (from an extended stunt, press, extended...this is illegal and was previously in L4).

2014/15 Rule: Release moves that land in extended position must originate from ground-level and may not involve any twisting or flipping.

2015/16 Rule: Release moves that land in extended position must originate from waist level or below and may not involve twisting or flipping.

It clarifies that you cannot do a low high out of a prep level stunt (or out of a power press) into extended level (which you couldn't do before, but now you can out of waist level).

Example 1: Extended liberty, pressed into a prep and did a tic toc back into an extended stunt = not allowed
Example 2: Prep level liberty, tic toc into extended level = not allowed
Example 3: Reload/squish/waist level stunt, tic toc into extended lib = allowed

Thanks for the help :) I think I got it now

This safety rule changes are stressful, i'm telling u.... I get it but when changes are done, free seminars should be given to coaches across the country (Not just he regional meetings) so that the English that the rules are in is understandable... lol it took me a few years to decode the definition of some of the rules when I was coaching.... lol Geez!!! :banghead::confused:

Some of this stuff wasn't even on the voting slate, which I find interesting. General thoughts:

Supports, braces and soft casts which are unaltered from the manufacturer’s original design/production do not require any additional padding. Supports/braces and soft casts that have been altered from the manufacturer’s original design/production must be padded with a closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding no less than one-half inch thick if the participant is involved in stunts, pyramids or tosses. A participant wearing a plaster cast or a walking boot must not be involved in stunts, pyramids, tumbling or tosses. --That's super specific wording, but I get it.

They got VERY specific with the wording on music lengths. Movement, note, voice, sound, song, whatever it is, starts and ends it. Does that mean those setup chants will be included?

Weren't you allowed to BWO out of a stunt in level 2? That's been removed now, hasn't it?

Um- USASF you took away Youth single based/assisted single based stunts, but you left in double cupies? :confused: Am I the only one for whom that doesn't make sense?

Looks like they didn't restrict the number of tricks in Senior 5 baskets after all.

I was worried about the changes, especially since they took so long to come out. But, after going through them, not a whole lot was changed. They further restricted R5 and JR5, which I'm ok with. They added waist level releases in level 4 which I'm thrilled about.

Not thrilled about the change with walking boots. That's actually the only change I can think of that I'm not happy about.

Some of this stuff wasn't even on the voting slate, which I find interesting. General thoughts:

Um- USASF you took away Youth single based/assisted single based stunts, but you left in double cupies? :confused: Am I the only one for whom that doesn't make sense?

Looks like they didn't restrict the number of tricks in Senior 5 baskets after all.
I thought the single based stunts were only illegal at extension level? Prep is still legal. I would assume that it's because most --MOST-- kids 11 and younger really aren't strong enough to safely hit it.
Or, I could be reading it completely wrong. These old eyes are tired.

Supports, braces and soft casts which are unaltered from the manufacturer’s original design/production do not require any additional padding. Supports/braces and soft casts that have been altered from the manufacturer’s original design/production must be padded with a closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding no less than one-half inch thick if the participant is involved in stunts, pyramids or tosses. A participant wearing a plaster cast or a walking boot must not be involved in stunts, pyramids, tumbling or tosses. --That's super specific wording, but I get it.

They got VERY specific with the wording on music lengths. Movement, note, voice, sound, song, whatever it is, starts and ends it. Does that mean those setup chants will be included?

Weren't you allowed to BWO out of a stunt in level 2? That's been removed now, hasn't it?

You could only bwo in level two if the flyer put a foot down first. Bwo out of a cradle position has always been a level 3 skill from my understanding!

I thought the single based stunts were only illegal at extension level? Prep is still legal. I would assume that it's because most --MOST-- kids 11 and younger really aren't strong enough to safely hit it.
Or, I could be reading it completely wrong. These old eyes are tired.
Single based and assisted single based extended stunts are now illegal at the youth level, but because they have info about double cupies in a section right beneath it, I was like 'Wait, you make it sound like you're not allowed to do one but you're allowed to do the other and I was like 'Wooah.'

I feel like so much of this wording needs to be refreshed/adjusted for simplicity. I do like that they added in the diagram of where waist/should/extended height is.

The cast thing will DEFINITELY influence teams and their alternate policies. You're not even allowed to take the mat anymore with certain casts- guess they found them dangerous.

Back