All-Star Usasf Cheer Rules Voting Results

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Disappointed that there was a no vote on hip overhead rotation at level 5. I think to be progressive level 5 needed to start bringing that in.
That is one i'm extremely happy didnt pass. Seems like it could be a huge safety issue and would allow people to push too far.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

I understand the reasoning behind your point, but it forces a gym that can't field 8 boys to drop 10 athletes off of their roster. So percentages mean nothing if there's no one left in the division. If this truly passes it'll be interesting to see what gyms like my own will do. I'm just not sure where we will find 8 boys...
I agree with you! Our gym could barely come up with 6 boys (with level 5 skills) and I know a few age out next season.

I may be in the minority, But I am glad we are going through another season without dramatic rule changes. With that said, I would have been okay with the Level 4 and Level 5 options opening up, but still... I think I am more happy no change for once and we can focus on executing what we can do!

I think it's a good thing when you can build some stability into the sport. You're not going to get that by changing the rules every two years.

I understand the reoasoning behind your point, but it forces a gym that can't field 8 boys to drop 10 athletes off of their roster. So percentages mean nothing if there's no one left in the division. If this truly passes it'll be interesting to see what gyms like my own will do. I'm just not sure where we will find 8 boys...

I don't know if we're the only ones but this actually works in our favor. We have always had just enough boys to be in large coed, but not enough to be competitive. So 8 is a better number for us. We can throw all the boys on one medium coed team and make it a strong team, rather than splitting it up between medium and small coed and finding enough girls. Having 10 boys would make it tough to be competitive in large coed...

I have question (maybe this will be off topic) but since this is USASF Cheer Rules thread, i think i would like to ask this. (i'm so sorry if this question has been answered before)
at worlds, have you ever got deduction/penalty by event judges to your team's score? because i read on USASF Cheer Rules website earlier (on floor examples/athlete's behavior section) that point A.c.2, A.c.4, A.c.5, A.c.6, A.c.7, A.c.8 are often done by most teams that i saw on worlds video for last past year. The USASF said that this action could cause deduction or penalty by judges. thanks for answering this.

No. I don't know if the conference call to discuss it has even been scheduled yet.
we just changed that(mid-cycle and no vote btw) so can we just leave the age grid alone.

I don't want to change the current dilemma of Do I push up the 15 year old to a level she's not ready for or do I hold back the 9 year old and make it even worse by bumping up the Sr. Minimum

You can always have less but never more

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Yes, but when the judges are looking for 8 coed stunts, etc. etc., not having 8 will be very hard to score well in that area. Not to mention that boys most definitely make stunts stronger, usually better tumbling, etc. So for every boy another team has that we don't, we will be weaker in comparison.

I don't know if we're the only ones but this actually works in our favor. We have always had just enough boys to be in large coed, but not enough to be competitive. So 8 is a better number for us. We can throw all the boys on one medium coed team and make it a strong team, rather than splitting it up between medium and small coed and finding enough girls. Having 10 boys would make it tough to be competitive in large coed...

That definitely makes a lot of sense for gyms like yours. And if we were in that position, I would love it, too, lol. I wonder how many current medium coed teams are in that position vs. one like we will be in...

That definitely makes a lot of sense for gyms like yours. And if we were in that position, I would love it, too, lol. I wonder how many current medium coed teams are in that position vs. one like we will be in...

Very interesting! We will see lots of medium teams shrinking to small I think. Which means stacked small coed teams!!

Do these rules have any kind of pro/con explanations before they go up to a vote? Like in a state election all of the ballet questions have groups write pro/cons for each. Might be more useful in the future to know what exactly you're voting for.
All of the Rule Proposals were vetted out at every USASF Regional Meeting last year so coaches could discuss the implications together.

Am I correct in recalling that these still need to be adopted by the rules committee and they do not need to adhere to the voting results?
No, new to the process this year: The Rules Committee pre-screened all of the proposals and made adjustments PRIOR to the public voting. Every thing that went to vote was already pre-approved, should it pass by the Coaches.

It's easy to find minor improvements to the current safety rules, but the best rules are the ONES THAT DON'T CHANGE. Our sport needs consistency and adjusting a bunch of the level progressions creates a steep learning curve for coaches.

Think about it this way: This is Year 2 on the current rules cycle and we gave out infractions to 35% of the teams at a 1 day event earlier this season--and that's with a set of rules that have been in place for over a year, already. Can you imagine what that rate would be if some of the rules were new?

Back