All-Star Usasf Communications Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm trying to read through the policy. There are so many links and sublinks that it's hard to get it all straight, but it seems to me that it is a well intentioned thought with horrible execution. For example - texting information regarding the team is prohibited between athletes and coaches after 9pm. We all have been to competitions that have lasted longer than 9pm. In fact, one year my kids' were on a team where a team member didn't come to warm ups and the team competed after 9. What is a coach supposed to do in that situation? Also, what do athletes who are also coaches do when they need to communicate with their coach who also may be their boss? What do the children of coaches or gym owners do? Can they not be facebook friends with their parents? Can they not text them when they need money at the concession stand? The policy seems excessive and doesn't apply to current real life situations.

The policy seems excessive and doesn't apply to current real life situations.

I may be giving too much credit, but I wonder if that was their plan? Make something that is near unusable so programs create their own real policy instead of just using the default.

I'm trying to read through the policy. There are so many links and sublinks that it's hard to get it all straight, but it seems to me that it is a well intentioned thought with horrible execution. For example - texting information regarding the team is prohibited between athletes and coaches after 9pm. We all have been to competitions that have lasted longer than 9pm. In fact, one year my kids' were on a team where a team member didn't come to warm ups and the team competed after 9. What is a coach supposed to do in that situation? Also, what do athletes who are also coaches do when they need to communicate with their coach who also may be their boss? What do the children of coaches or gym owners do? Can they not be facebook friends with their parents? Can they not text them when they need money at the concession stand? The policy seems excessive and doesn't apply to current real life situations.

I totally agree with you, @quitthedrama.

Another concern I have is the requirement of adding all parents to a team chat. I have seen coaches utilize their chats as a very important part of training where they discuss goals, dissected practices and worked on team dynamics. Adding in the susies can quickly make it into a competitive environment where competition and resentment could take over. Having parents participate might distract from the immediate goals that most coaches have when a team page was opened.

Also, another thing that stood out to me is that team parents were listed as people who should be following these rules. Again, I understand the reason why. The sport saw a very public conviction of a team mom a few years ago, but rules like this also make someone like me take pause. Am I willing to give up my interactions with my daughter's closest friends? Kids who spend a ton of time with me away from the gym, including travel? Kids who trust me and have reached out to me during their time of need - in order to volunteer? You would think that mandating background checks of volunteers would be the logical first step of action rather than this.

Last night I took my CP's phone and started to unfollow her immediate coaches. I understand the need and would never jeopardize another's livelihood for something like social media. That said, it broke my heart when I got to some of the athletes who have turned coaches. Ones who she has literally grown up. cheered with and looked up to - a few of whom are Fierceboarder's kids. These are friendships which I want her to continue - ones where she can learn from and support while they head off to college, or supersenior at their dream teams or do choreo or whatnot.

There are no easy answers.

"Well intentioned with horrible execution" should be the official motto of the USASF.

I feel like they would have made a bigger impact if they said they wanted gyms to create a policy, and then add a "in case you need a starting point or want to use ours....here's what we got" instead of giving a whole list of rules and guidelines and then demanding people follow it.

I do support only safety for kids, as well as safety for adults. As much as things like this protects kids from situations, it can also protect adults from ending up with accusations or in tough situations. We have a LOT of rules like this in place working at Summer Camp.

Interesting point of the Policy:

Member Organizations may either use their existing policy or create their own policy. If they do neither, the
model policy created by the U.S. All Star Federation will become the default Electronic Communication Policy for
the Member Organization. Athletes, parents, coaches and adults associated with the Member Organization must
read and accept the Policy, whether it be the organization’s policy or the default policy.

Every member organization has the responsibility for the implementation of an Electronic Communication
Policy.

This doesn’t include the part that requires gym policy’s to be more strict, not less strict, than the USASF.

This is about coaches creating professional and appropriate boundaries. It’s something that needs to be addressed only because, while most of us have clear rules and protections in place, there are many gyms and coaches that do not. The USASF is educating people and trying to be proactive against hidden online grooming and abuse.

I guarantee if something happens in all star cheer like what happened in gymnastics, people will be asking why the USASF didn’t do anything to prevent it. This is them taking steps proactively to try to do something good before something bad happens. I’m for it.

Last edited:
I do agree. I do understand (or at least I think I do) what they are trying to prevent. That is inappropriate relationships. I get that. But my daughter is at a point where she feels comfortable reaching out to her coaches to ask questions about her skills, upcoming practices, etc. I like that she can take initiative. I feel it really should be a parent/gym responsibility and not anyone else.

Talking to your coach about coach things is fine. It’s not any different than it was before. Only now, a coach will need to take an extra step to reply to the athlete with parents included. And it’s the coaches professional responsibility to make sure of it. It’s not hard.

Good policy in theory.

My question is mostly about how this would be enforced and how they'd keep it from becoming:

"I do not like Cathy Coach so I'm going to screenshot that she commented on Suzie's tumbling vid to tattle."

or

"I'm salty about her kid making J5 over mine so I'm going to screenshot that she liked a coach post on FB."

I see both sides to this. I personally know of coaches and gym owners who post things on social media not suitable for their athletes eyes. I have witnessed it firsthand unfortunately... But then I think back to when I was an athlete and if I had these rules in place I would have been against it. I get they are trying to put things into place to protect athletes, but it should be up to the gyms discretion IMO and they should just make sure every gym has something in place for protection. Every gym environment is different. I think parents need to be responsible for knowing the kind of place they are sending their child and who their child is surrounded by. I have a long drawn out response as to why I feel the way I do, but I am sure nobody cares all that much lol. The only other thing I can say is its sad that the things that are happening in the world today are making such impacts. I look back on my days cheering and see how much this rule in particular being in place would have changed my interactions and some of the great conversations I had with my coaches. Especially because I was always their go to girl becuase I was up on everything cheer related lol. I think the limitation would have taken away a bond within the team and coaches that at least in my team was a crucial part in our bonding and future success.

I thought about something last night and I can't remember if it's been addressed in this post specifically. We have a team IG and Twitter account. The girls are followers (as well as the parents). Is this now not going to be allowed? Can the athletes not follow the gym accounts?

Talking to your coach about coach things is fine. It’s not any different than it was before. Only now, a coach will need to take an extra step to reply to the athlete with parents included. And it’s the coaches professional responsibility to make sure of it. It’s not hard.
This doesn’t include the part that requires gym policy’s to be more strict, not less strict, than the USASF.
This is about coaches creating professional and appropriate boundaries. It’s something that needs to be addressed only because, while most of us have clear rules and protections in place, there are many gyms and coaches that do not. The USASF is educating people and trying to be proactive against hidden online grooming and abuse.
I guarantee if something happens in all star cheer like what happened in gymnastics, people will be asking why the USASF didn’t do anything to prevent it. This is them taking steps proactively to try to do something good before something bad happens. I’m for it.

It is hard because the rules were not reviewed properly when written, and therefor do not make sense in many situations, and THIS is my continued frustration with USASF. There is nowhere that defines the rules only apply to minor athletes. There is nowhere that defines any type of family relationships between coaches and minor athletes. Both of my girls as well as a coach very dear to us are in complete violation of these rules as they are written through no fault of our own, and the penalties for violation are HUGE and career ending.
I understand the intent and fully agree that guidelines should be in place at the governing body level and gyms should be required to have some sort of policy. However, when you make rules that have very severe punishments and are written carelessly, that is irresponsible and unprofessional.

There needs to be common sense exceptions. As it stands, no team mom or gym volunteer can text her child or follow her child on social media. Not to mention kids of coaches and gym owners. I also think there should be an understanding that a 16-18 yr old is different from a 10 yr old.

Back