All-Star Usasf Independence

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

OK. I get asked questions about the USASF all the time, some of which I can answer, some of which I do not know, and some that pertain to information I got during my time on the Board of Directors (which I may not share.) I can compile a list of questions and proposals to send to the powers that be.

I would state up front that I am really only interested in information that could be made 100% public, so I guess all of those answers/responses will need to go through the PR machine & lawyers first. If the USASF believes the answer to a question is secret information, that will be noted. A short explanation for the need for secrecy on that topic would be appreciated.

If you have a question or proposal you would like presented to the USASF, please post here and I will add it to the list. (I will include everything that isn't already being covered or what I think is stupid/offensive.) At some point, I'll get a google doc going and share the list as it grows. If you fear reprisal for simply asking a question, send it to me via PM and I won't put your name on it.

I appreciate your willingness to throw out the stupid/offensive. If I hear one more person say that we are in it for the money...

Just thought of another item I'd add to BlueCat 's list (even thought there are lots of more urgent things on that list)
  • Have a policy in place that states when a gym doesn't have to release an athlete (hasn't paid gym fees, etc.) and when the athlete has to be relased even though the gym might not want to (ill feelings) and what happens in situations like gym mergers mid-season, or gyms that close mid-season. There also needs to be a system in place where athletes can object to a gym's decision if the gym doesn't act according to the policy.

If I hear one more person say that we are in it for the money...

I don't mean to imply that you and Jeff Webb sit around throwing piles of money around that is generated from Varsity's ownership of the USASF. I suspect that very little revenue if any at all comes directly from their ownership of it. Hell, USASF might cost Varsity money for all I know. However, a strong, independent USASF could theoretically implement policies that could affect their bottom line.

I appreciate your willingness to throw out the stupid/offensive. If I hear one more person say that we are in it for the money...
Because I know you and many other EP employees I can say that I know for a fact the issue is not "about the money". However, perception = reality. If the perception is so strong that money is an issue, I just have a hard time understanding why SOMETHING (non social media related) isn't being done to change this perception. I think an adjustment on that perception would really benefit both Varsity and USASF.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I see the formal proposal side of things. I thought there was a hard copy sent to USASF? However, these days, many people conduct business on social media. Many event companies use Facebook pages for their events. I am aware of several USASF events that answer questions, squelch rumors, offer advice, take care of legality issues, etc right on their facebook event specific pages. I don't see why they refuse to in this matter. I would like to know how this is being viewed. We can't post on the USASF FB page. So where is the exact place to correspond or who is the direct PR person to speak to? I have been told to go through NACCC but there is no contact information available. No phone number, email, website, etc that I can find. Who can I ask as a gym owner for more information on this matter or any matter? Does anyone know or have advice?

I don't think everyone at Varsity or the USASF are in it for the money. There are plenty of other external benefits in cheerleading, which is why lots of us still do it though there may not be a lot of monetary benefit for what we do.

However, if you keep rattlesnakes in the house you can't be surprised if you get bitten. A business running cheerleading is going to make business decisions. They have to make decisions that affect their bottom line.

Hypothetically: If something came up that would benefit all the gyms tremendously but would have to fire Justin Carrier do I think you personally would make that decision for the betterment of cheer? No, nor do I think you should have to make those type of decisions. It isn't fair to you to have to make decision that really hurts yourself but helps others. And I feel the same way about a business having to make decisions.

Varsity is in a tough spot because they have to look at their own interests (which I see nothing wrong with) and can really only act and put forth when business interests align with with the gyms interests and there is synergy. True non-profit doesn't have to make money more than operating costs. It is a liberating thing when you can make a choice where you know that choice would produce less for you in the end.

Business is not bad and making money is not bad. If a competition or uniform company didn't make profits from their efforts they wouldn't do it. I in no way shape or form see Varsity or what they do as evil or bad because it is exactly how I would expect any business to act.

The thing is I don't see things changing unless one of two things happen:

1. The grand majority of the gyms / athletes band together and boycott and demand change. But as much as I love allstar its peanuts compared to the high school business. The HS clientele is so segmented that the most common connection all those high schools have across the country is honestly social media (Fierce Board). So highly unlikely. It also would be the messiest way. Because it would be years and years of push and give push and give. Each time we have had something put a fire under peoples butts a small reconciliation is made and things go back to as is.

2. Someone does an antitrust lawsuit against Varsity. This is probably the only thing that will actually split up the segments and allow them to run independently. In the end this would actually be the best for everyone (as painful as it might seem). It would increase competition in each segment and allow the entire sport of cheer to grow.

So, I think a lot of our feelings and inclinations are correct, but any gesture done by these companies with offerings or anything is just moot.

Although its crude I'm telling you that the Penn and Teller show about Cheer, illustrates what the outside view of the whole Varsity & Industry relationship looks like to others!

I just cannot see how anyone could argue against a governing body that is beholding to no one except its members.

My question to USASF/Varsity is, does the USASF share its membership information with Varsity?

Not sure who is advising USASF on the best way to handle social media concerns, but fair enough, perhaps we can use this to thread to debate some potential proposals and some potential questions for Varsity/USASF. What would be the formal way to propose/pose those to the powers that be? Should we have someone read them aloud at each regional meeting this summer? Send a certified letter to Memphis? Make a Harlem Shake video with someone holding up each proposal?

dead! /thread

happy0008.gif

Grow cheer posted a responce to i would guess this thread on their website

grow-cheer

for some reason i can not copy and past it here so you will have to go to the website

From the GrowCheer website.

"GrowCheer.org would like to thank all of those in our industry that have voiced their support for our efforts, both publicly and privately. We would also like to thank Jim Chadwick and the USASF BOD for recognizing GrowCheer.org and agreeing to an initial dialogue after receiving our formal proposal. It is out of respect for the USASF, and an earnest desire to make all of the changes that we have proposed, that we will not be commenting publicly while discussions are ongoing.

Since the creation of GrowCheer.org, we've all noticed an increase in discussions about additional changes that should be made in the future with the USASF and our sport in general. While it is this kind of creativity and "what if?" thinking that will eventually make our industry better and growing again, we emphasize that the primary mission ofGrowCheer.org is simply to create an independent and transparent USASF that can tackle these issues in the best interest of all of our members.

We also reiterate that while we are prepared to financially help the USASF gain independence, our only expectation in return is a truly independent and transparent USASF. To repeat, NONE OF THE FOUNDING COMPANIES OFGROWCHEER.ORG HAVE A DESIRE TO REPLACE VARSITY AS THE CONTROLLING ENTITY OF THE USASF. No sport or industry should ever be controlled by special interests within that organization if it truly wants to grow and get better."

I would like to comment that companies usually owe responses to its constituents or customers in the proper forum.

But similar to the growcheer proposal, just because it's covered in social media doesn't mean an answer is owed on social media.

I imagine that anyone that wants to reach out to a company directly has that right to do so. But most groups don't address message boards directly. --even when there is a HOT THREAD ALERT on Twitter. LOL

With all due respect, I'm not sure for most people there is a more proper forum than right here. While you're right that an answer isn't owed on social media, it often is the only way to get a company's attention.

What response do you think the typical parent would receive if they contacted USASF? And how would the USASF like having to respond to dozens or hundreds of parents on an individual basis? They wouldn't have the time or the patience.

That's why this is actually a pretty good place for issues to be hashed out and I think there are enough "old timers" to temper much of the socail hysteria.

Over the last dozen or so years, I've been able to have a decent relationship with many USASF personnel.

But I'll never forget sending an email and getting a response of "Just who do you think you are asking that?" Other than my sarcastic side, I think I'm mostly a humble person. But with all the things I've been involved in over the years, including being inducted into the USASF Hall of Fame (which I'm incredibly proud of), did I really deserve that? And what would a parent with no previous relationship receive.

But I'll never forget sending an email and getting a response of "Just who do you think you are asking that?" .

WOW! That's disturbing! I see your quotes, but are you literally saying that was their response? That is a response that comes from an organization that sees itself as untouchable. When the USASF becomes independent I think we should suggest customer service training. Sheesh!

Back