All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I understand that, and injuries are a natural part of sport, you're never going to go completely without injury, but for the most part, cheerleaders are injured because of bad coaching, improper technique, and not being ready to throw a skill, whereas in other sports you don't really see that (unless, of course, we compared it to sports where technique and training is more involved; ie. figure skating, gymnastics, dance, etc.)

Somewhat true, but even in football most (or at least the most severe) injuries I see occur from bad form in tackling. Coaches don't teach to keep your head up, or even teach to use the helmet as a weapon which results in neck/head injuries. Younger kids get hurt when they don't follow through on the tackle.

Point is, no matter the sport, bad coaching leads to more injuries than anything else, and a certain amount of injuries are just unavoidable.

So does anyone remember that boy that got hurt last year because he turned to "present" to the crowd and did something to his knee, I think he was on the boards...do you think they'll try to bring that up as to why guys being theatrical could be a safety issue because I just learned in Speech today that having one freak accident case is not supporting material for action to be taken so they can bring it on and I will shoot them down with that one.

As far as uniforms then - really cute - Tank tops (full top belly coverage - said nothing about arm coverage - if so then cute t-shirts instead) and soffe shorts/or skorts (bottom coverage) not rolled up though - lol... would be way cheaper, more comfortable and athletic looking then - gyms would not have to give varsity their business :) add a cute bow - they want to take away all the glam and glitter anyway etc then why spend all the money on expensive uniforms? I have seen some cute practice wear that could be used now as uniforms - and be more athletic looking. If everyone did it - then varsity would have no business and all the gyms would look the same and parents would not be spending lots of money on uniforms - just a thought. I know that is not until 2015 -

Tumbling - I agree with safety first. But the way the rules were passed were not right - and I agree with most of what has been said about this issue.

My only gymnastics injury was me doing a back handspring. And it wasn't due to bad coaching, it was a fluke thing with my hand on a mat that was a bit worn. Freak accidents happen in EVERY sport. My one cheer injury was from me not lifting properly and because I had weak bases. Mostly lack of conditioning for the girls and coach not recognizing me lifting 3/4 of the stunt. It was also HS.

Basically, the first person to bust a double and get injured at worlds 2012 is going to have a lot of cheerleaders mad at them :/ Its too bad USASF didnt wait until after worlds. They basically set themselves up !

It's like Courtney Pope said last night, it seems so broken that we almost need to start again.
I just think that in order for our sport to not be without MANY competitions for 2-3 seasons, we can't just eliminate Varsity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do they not own a LOT of competition companies including NCA and UCA? Varsity needs to exist, it's as simple as that, but we as cheerleaders, athletes, coaches, fans, parents, etc. need to come together and demand change.

Varsity can exist. Just not with USASF. There must be a divorce of Varsity/USASF in order for USASF to regain credibility, if it can. I have never, ever bought the line that they can not be separated. You do what you want to do or forced to do. It makes no sense whatsoever to have the governing body of cheer housed in the largest EP's offices. You have the one of most powerful makers of uniforms for rec, school and all star able to work together with the rules makers to make rule changes that will directly benefit them. Regulations they "said" would never happen are now being enforced on uniforms. To now put it as wanted to be seen as a sport is laughable to me. That isn't the reason. It is always about the $$$. (Personally the uniform issue I can deal with; but I think the makeup issues, hair issues and male cheerleader issues are uncalled for)

You have a company that openly posted on previous versions of it's website that the way to get boys in your program was to scholarship them and put them to work teaching your tumbling classes. Nothing was ever stated about training them - nothing. It extolled the value of that they were cheap labor to replace trained gymnastics coaches and tumbling coaches who actually cared about what they taught - even if they cost more to hire. Now they are complaining about not trained tumbling instructors?

It has been stated over and over again. Stop rewarding tucked BHS to fulls. So what if an entire squad does them if they travel over 1/2 to 3/4 a panel when they twist. Take deductions on incomplete twists. Put judges on the floor on the back line to catch the fakers. Reward teams with great technique even if they aren't throwing all of the jaw dropping tumbling passes. Get scores right the first time. That can be done now and the complaints would be infinitely less than they are hearing now. Have Debbie Love call together tumbling coaches for a conference and rewrite that blasted stupid current certification test. Then if you want to minimize some passes I can see it because you have taken logical steps to fix it. While I completely understand the insurance side of the equation, I just believe there is a better way.

So can you do toe fulls, or cartwheel fulls? I tried to look through the pages but my eyes are starting to cross. lol

Well there goes "So You Think You Can Tumble?" But wait...didn't they support the new rules.... but yet they hosted a showoff tumble competition....so confuzzled.

OMG its ok guys the USASF is tweeting about this years great new gear they just got in....that exactly what they should be focusing on...

No no I think she should compete it 100% because she can do it. The point is Elaine is one of the board members who made this new rule to help safety all while one of her athletes have had 2 ankle injuries and is still throwing a double double. I find something not right about that. If it is as dangerous as they are making it out to be then she wouldn't be allowing Kelsey to throw those passes after 2 injuries.

Does anyone else take issue with the fact that some of the USASF Board members are coaches and/or gym owners? Seems like a conflict of interest to me especially if they are represent a certain group of gyms.

Then why change the rules? Is there some kind of bigger picture that I don't see? I don't understand what the end game is.

I question whether they truly understand where they want to go or even have a vision of where they are going. I feel as if i have shown up to the circus and the clowns have taken over the show!

Does anyone else take issue with the fact that some of the USASF Board members are coaches and/or gym owners? Seems like a conflict of interest to me especially if they are represent a certain group of gyms.
You also have to consider what gyms WEREN'T on the call, if you didn't know already..and what gyms haven't outwardly said they agree/disagree with this ruling.

I question whether they truly understand where they want to go or even have a vision of where they are going. I feel as if i have shown up to the circus and the clowns have taken over the show!

Stop. No. I hate clowns.

One of my friends on FB posted this on a comment I posted...I think it says it all..

Susan....Brianna is a testament that the injuries occur regardless of what level the athlete is on. I think I lost track of the number of bones she has broken, including a collar bone from being a base. In fact, she is having surgery tomo
rrow to replace her ACL that she blew in Dallas coming out of a tuck. Competitive cheerleading is an intense sport and injuries WILL occur no matter what. I have faith that the USASF will realize this and let the athletes compete the way they should. After all, we don't see the NCAA putting bans on basketball because of all of the injuries. The UNC Tarheel Basketball team has endured two wrist injuries and two ACL injuries within the last year on the same team. Injuries occur at all levels, on all sports at this level of competitiveness.

You also have to consider what gyms WEREN'T on the call, if you didn't know already..and what gyms haven't outwardly said they agree/disagree with this ruling.

I know our coaches couldn't get in on the conference call because so many others were on it. They are having a call locally since one of our coaches is the state rep here.

Back