All-Star Usasf Routine Interruption

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 16, 2010
Dear USASF Members:

The USASF's priority is always the safety of athletes. In response to requests from coaches, and based on the lack of an industry wide standard, the USASF Rules Committee felt it imperative to recommend to member event producers a protocol for stopping a performance due to injury.

The Rules Committee is both posting and sending to all member event producers this recommendation for stopping a routine because of injury for the balance of the 2012-13 competition season. This recommendation will be sent through the Sanctioning Committee to be voted on for inclusion in Sanctioning Guidelines for 2013-14 and future seasons. This is a recommendation only for 2012-13, with the hope of becoming a guideline for 2013-14.

View the recommendation here.

Comments and suggestions regarding the recommendation are welcome and may be sent to: Les Stella

Thank you for joining the USASF in our shared focus on athlete safety. Best of luck as you continue through the competition season.

Routine Interuption | USASF Rules Site

I was so excited to see this rule - until I got to #3......how many athletes will keep performing no matter how badly they are hurt because their team may not get a chance to do their routine again? I understand wanting to prevent someone from faking an injury because the routine didn't start strong, but I feel the athletes' safety is far more important.

I was so excited to see this rule - until I got to #3......how many athletes will keep performing no matter how badly they are hurt because their team may not get a chance to do their routine again? I understand wanting to prevent someone from faking an injury because the routine didn't start strong, but I feel the athletes' safety is far more important.
If its a noticeable injury, a competition official will most likely stop the routine. And in most cases, they'll be worked into the schedule. There are times though, when performing again may not be an option -- like at an outdoor venue for example -- when daylight runs out and it's too dark to let anymore teams perform. Those instances will be far and few between but have to be allowed for in the process.

In an industry driven by money, I can't imagine an EP not allowing a team to compete again. They may be different in how they do that (letting them pick up from the injury time or just rescoring the entire thing) but I can't imagine the backlash if they didn't allow a gym to compete again...not only with that gym but any other gym/fans that are in attendance.

I wouldn't see that as a "profit enhancing" move for any EP.

In an industry driven by money, I can't imagine an EP not allowing a team to compete again. They may be different in how they do that (letting them pick up from the injury time or just rescoring the entire thing) but I can't imagine the backlash if they didn't allow a gym to compete again...not only with that gym but any other gym/fans that are in attendance.

I wouldn't see that as a "profit enhancing" move for any EP.

I don't see this industry being driven by money moreso than any other industry. In fact, I would suspect it's less than driven by the dollar sign than most.

My only beef with the recommendation is that the team has to perform the whole routine full out, even though judging will only take place after the point where the athlete was injured. Deductions from before the injury will carry over anyway - why make the team redo what's already been judged? Especially since the example given (throwing back tucks instead of fulls thrown in the original routine) could result in scores being lowered or deductions.

ETA: I get that the recommendation is to make the team redo the routine full out is probably to deter people from abusing the system (i.e. having an athlete fake an injury so a team could get a break in the middle of their routine, rest for a bit, and finish the other half). But does USASF really think anyone would do that?

Like I said on Twitter, I'm thankful for this. I nearly choked on what I was drinking when I saw the excuse "all the injuries were off the floor" for continuing a routine. It's a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I don't see this industry being driven by money moreso than any other industry. In fact, I would suspect it's less than driven by the dollar sign than most.
Nothing wrong with it if it is, I got nothing against capitalism ;)

I totally agree that there needs to be a rule. Girl at competition this weekend appeared to have broken her ankle during the routine. She could not move from where she landed. Team, of course, kept going. Her DAD actually went on stage and carried her off. About the time he started heading to the back of stage with her, they finally stopped routine. Everyone felt so badly for her and my CP said, you know, what WOULD you do. She said, you are trained to keep going, but as a person/teammate you want to stop and help them.

With respect to #2 under the "athlete returning" section, is it reasonable to expect that EPs will supply a licensed medical professional?

"In the event of a suspected head injury, the participant cannot return to perform without clearance from a licensed medical professional that has training related to head injuries."

Nothing wrong with it if it is, I got nothing against capitalism ;)
Thank you. I have a right to earn a living. I get tired of feeling like I'm supposed to coach for free just to keep costs down for the athletes. Gyms need to make a profit in order to survive. And how are EP's supposed to make a profit if they only charge a bare minimum but put on a spectacular show?

Profit is NOT a dirty word!

Ok rant over. I loved the notice about this new guideline. Thank you USASF!

With respect to #2 under the "athlete returning" section, is it reasonable to expect that EPs will supply a licensed medical professional?

"In the event of a suspected head injury, the participant cannot return to perform without clearance from a licensed medical professional that has training related to head injuries."

I am guessing this basically prevents the athlete from continuing for the day with any head injury. I would assume an outside doctor would need to make that assessment, and I think that would (and should) be beyond the scope of anything that onsite medical staff can treat.

If it's a two day competition, this would encourage the athlete to get checked out. I can't imagine a lot of doctors would clear an athlete that has a head injury, so this would at least help prevent someone suffering from a concussion from jumping right back in.

I really like these changes.

My only beef with the recommendation is that the team has to perform the whole routine full out, even though judging will only take place after the point where the athlete was injured. Deductions from before the injury will carry over anyway - why make the team redo what's already been judged? Especially since the example given (throwing back tucks instead of fulls thrown in the original routine) could result in scores being lowered or deductions.

ETA: I get that the recommendation is to make the team redo the routine full out is probably to deter people from abusing the system (i.e. having an athlete fake an injury so a team could get a break in the middle of their routine, rest for a bit, and finish the other half). But does USASF really think anyone would do that?

It wouldn't be fair if a team marked the first half of a routine because when they finally get to the part that's scored they won't be out of breath like they normally would. Lots of deductions happen when teams run out of steam. That's why a lot of tumbling is at the beginning of the routines. If you only had to mark it then you would have an advantage that other teams in your division wouldn't have.
Or at least that's my opinion:)

It wouldn't be fair if a team marked the first half of a routine because when they finally get to the part that's scored they won't be out of breath like they normally would. Lots of deductions happen when teams run out of steam. That's why a lot of tumbling is at the beginning of the routines. If you only had to mark it then you would have an advantage that other teams in your division wouldn't have.
Or at least that's my opinion:)

I totally understand your point and I thought of that, too. It would just suck to have a teammate seriously injured and deal with the stress of possibly reworking a routine, and then have to redo the routine, especially when the first half of it wouldn't be scored anyway but could possibly contribute more deductions. In that situation there's really no solution that is 100% fair to the team with the injured athlete and all the other competitors. All I'm saying is having someone get seriously hurt isn't fun and it shouldn't really matter what the team does before the point where they are actually judged. I'm not advocating teams in that situation mark the whole thing - I'm just wondering why it matters what exactly they do if it isn't judged anyway.

As a judge, however, I could see taking off some points in the "Overall Impression" section of the scoresheet for a team that marks the first half of a routine after an athlete gets injured. It just says something about the program/coaches. Just my opinion!

Yes. Lol

Back