All-Star Usasf Rules Gurus - Please Read

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What are the requirements to become a USASF credentialed coach/owner? Do you have to pass a background check?

Here's an example: I was told by people from other gyms that our gym was in trouble. I went DIRECTLY to the coach/owner and was told everything was fine. I have NO reason to not believe owner. EXCEPT----- I have thousands of dollars invested and many many hours of my time and my CP's time. So I researched myself via connections that I have. It all seems fine and on point with info I was given on both ends. I'm satisfied and happy for now. Rumors/Gossip can be hurtful and inaccurate at times, but they can also save your tail. I listen (never spreading) to rumors and issues and sometimes discuss with a few (3 to be exact) other cheer moms from other gyms. We like to keep each other AWARE of whats going on in our area. I have yet to hear a rumor that didn't turn out to be close if not 100% true. Including the gym in question, heard about that broad and her crap LAST January.

Was cooking dinner and thought about and didn't like parts of my last post. It sounded kinda of preachy and like I was picking on people for not checking facts on their own. I wanted my post to give suggestions for in the future. Get a few friends, maybe some from other gyms who've been around a while and know how to get info. I'm not in the gym a lot but I tend to listen when I'm there. If you're not sure how to get public records find someone who is a google expert and there is always the "somebody that knows somebody that knows....." that usually can find out the FACTS. You wouldn't believe the public records you can find online. You do have to be a little skilled at sorting through them. Just a few tips that seem to work for me. I hope it holds up. :)

What are the requirements to become a USASF credentialed coach/owner? Do you have to pass a background check?

No you do not. A credentialed coach needs to pass tests and pay their fees for the areas they want to get credentialed in. Owners just have to pay a fee to become a member gym....that is what I have been saying...THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!

No you do not. A credentialed coach needs to pass tests and pay their fees for the areas they want to get credentialed in. Owners just have to pay a fee to become a member gym....that is what I have been saying...THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!

I would really encourage parents to demand that their gym become a USASF Certified Gym. Those requirements are in the system. There just needs to be a demand from parents to get gyms to do it.

http://usasf.net/programs/gymcertification/

This is so wrong but: Grundy County Court, il, public records no fear of slander there!!!!!

Was I the only person that got really sad this wasn't a link? You can't be a detective with no leads! Insert sad face.

Kingston, I never said something illegal was going on "with" the kids. Her illegal activities are things that will take significant time to go through the court system. I contacted the USASF regarding what was going on and got a cookie cutter answer, which is not acceptable. I will attempt again to lay it out and try to escalate this up the chain on behalf of not only my child but the other level 5 athletes that left.

Did you follow the proper procedure when contacting the USASF?

http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM2//Forms/USASF_Disciplinary_Process.pdf

I had no knowledge of this owner before hand, I wish that I had done more public searching before committing. With that said, we chose this gym because of the coaching staff. In 9 years of competitive gym, we have been with 2 gyms before this season. Leaving was the most difficult thing we did.

You are absolutely right that choosing a gym in IL is a crap shoot! Even some long time gyms have their own skeletins that are public record and this is where the USASF has to do more to protect the parents and athletes, not only in possible abuse situations, but in all situations. There would be no all star gyms without the support of the thousands of parents who pay thousands of dollars, not only to gym owners but in competition fees. Who is really looking out for these kids?

Sports are currently under the microscope and many are pushing for sweeping revisions to protect athletes. Kudos to you for taking a stand. I hope that you realize that without mandatory background checks, you have a stronger case than you realize from a legal standpoint. Here is a good read (particularly Child and Youth Amateur Athlete Human Rights and A Child Centered Sport System)
http://www.cappaa.com/amateur-athlete-disorder

Did you follow the proper procedure when contacting the USASF?

http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM2//Forms/USASF_Disciplinary_Process.pdf

I was told to contact the person in charge of the releases, which is what I did. I read through this document and as someone else mentioned there is nothing in here for parents to register a complaint. The athletes are the members, not the parents. Do we need to have our 13 and 14 yr old daughters file this complaint to let the USASF know that the owner of their gym thought it prudent to tell them that she needed to fire their coach because....well he was having an affair with a parent....but she didn't say parent, she actually named one of their team mates mother! What do we do when our daughters tell us something so horrendous...do we say, its ok honey, its a lie, but guess what.... we found out after November 1st so...well we are just stuck for this year if you want to go to Worlds? In what reality is something like that EVER OK? And for those of us that decided that and a host of other things was not ok, our children get punished by not being able to be on a worlds team because this person still gets to make the decision that she can basically hold our children hostage.

And what exactly are the penalties, what does a suspension of membership actually accomplish? Are the parents of that gym notified that their gym owner is unethical and has had her membership suspended? A financial penalty for this particular woman would mean nothing as she doesnt pay her bills now.

While not morally lauded coaches having affairs with parents isn't illegal.

I would really encourage parents to demand that their gym become a USASF Certified Gym. Those requirements are in the system. There just needs to be a demand from parents to get gyms to do it.

http://usasf.net/programs/gymcertification/

ACEDAD, while this is a great program, it should be a mandatory requirement for every gym that wants to become a member of the USASF, it should not be put on the shoulders of the parents to "encourage" their gyms to do it! While a lot of parents get very involved, there are that many more parents that do not. How many parents even know what the role of the USASF is, or what it is at all. Heck the athletes being members even isn't being enforced, more than half the kids at this gym didn't even know that it was on their shoulders to register their athletes. We are into the competition season, what are the penalties for the athletes who have never registered as USASF athletes?

While not morally lauded coaches having affairs with parents isn't illegal.

No it is not, but IF IT WERE EVEN remotely true, it is not anyone else's business and certainly NOT something as an adult in a position of power you share with children. No offense Kingston, but you must have missed the part where I said this was being told to children.

ACEDAD, while this is a great program, it should be a mandatory requirement for every gym that wants to become a member of the USASF, it should not be put on the shoulders of the parents to "encourage" their gyms to do it! While a lot of parents get very involved, there are that many more parents that do not. How many parents even know what the role of the USASF is, or what it is at all. Heck the athletes being members even isn't being enforced, more than half the kids at this gym didn't even know that it was on their shoulders to register their athletes. We are into the competition season, what are the penalties for the athletes who have never registered as USASF athletes?
My guess...nothing because they don't have the resources to enforce it. (its their standard answer)

I don't understand shared with children. They are sharing their personal escapades or the kids are aware they are having an affair. Big difference.

Back