All-Star Usasf Uniform Rules Vs Usag

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
I was curious to the limitations that the USAG girls deal with so I looked them up. Their list of do's and don't is rather lengthy and I feel that since the USASF is primarily looking toward cheer to be considered an Olympic sport, they have followed suit to the sport that closest resembles cheer.

What do you think?

II. THE GYMNAST IS OBLIGATED TO:
A. Obtain an Athlete or Introductory Athlete [Levels 1-3 & Xcel (PREP Optional)] Member number from USA
Gymnastics Member Services and be prepared to show her membership card at any USA Gymnastics
sanctioned event in which she participates.
B. Follow the USA Gymnastics Code of Ethics. (See Part One, Section 2)
C. Be competent at Level 1 through 4 prior to participating in Level 5 meets.
D. Be familiar with the rules of the meet and schedule of the meet events and lineup.
E. Be present at the site of the meet for sufficient warm-up.
F. Remain in the area of competition designated for gymnasts, as competitors or as observers.
G. Obey warm-up regulations, rotation schedules and conform to the regulations of the meet.
H. Present herself in the proper attire (No bare midriffs, backless leotards, leotards with “spaghetti” straps, T-shirts
or Boxer shorts). NO underwear (including sport bras) should be exposed. The leg opening on competitive
leotards must NOT be cut or rolled above the gymnast's hipbone. A deduction for inappropriate attire will be
applied for any infraction. Sleeveless leotards and unitards, as well as gymnastics footwear, are permitted for
competition. Leotard and/or warm-up uniform should be worn for opening, award, and closing ceremonies.
• Gymnasts must change clothes in the designated changing area or restroom. They may not appear in
underwear on the competition floor or warm-up area before, during or after the competition.

I. Be well groomed in her appearance:
1. Clean attire.
2. Hair secured away from the face so as to not obscure her vision of the apparatus.
3. No jewelry, with the exception of one pair of stud earrings (one in each ear). All other piercing should be
REMOVED, not just covered with tape or Band-aids.
J. Accept the received score without criticism or comment.
K. Eat or drink outside of the competition area (exception; water bottles should be allowed, or a water fountain
should be accessible in order for athletes to stay hydrated.)
L. Be courteous, respectful and polite to all meet officials, coaches, hostesses, competitors and associated
persons.
• The use of cell phones (talking, texting, etc.) or any type of wireless communication devise is
prohibited while on the field of play.
M. Exhibit self-control and calmness in the case of a fall or injury.
N. Be aware that infringement of obligations could lead to deduction and/or expulsion by the Jury of Appeals.

M. Exhibit self-control and calmness in the case of a fall or injury.
Someone tell that to Rebecca Bross after her knee injury..

The problem is that the 'field of play' for gymnastics is very specific, where as cheer isn't. I'd find that MANY cheerleaders hypothetically follow the majority if not ALL of those rules during their 'field of play' section of a competition. The problem is, unlike gymnastics, we warm up, compete, and then (unless we're a crossover), we're done. During our minute 'field of play' section which basically is warmups and competing, I'm sure the majority of people without question do all of that. When gymnasts aren't competing (look at the girls cheering their teammates on in the all around), they're there in jeans, t shirts, etc. The only thing that I think ANY cheerleader might be in violation of is that part in rule H about no sports bras or 'underwear' while walking around and no changing in front of other people..

In gymnastics you don't go off to wander around the event site between rotations, you don't go sit with your parents to watch the other girls compete, you're not laying around with your friends texting, goofing off and listening to iPods/iPads. You rotate through the events with your group/team, you sit in the designated area and watch the other competitors. There are very specific expectations. I mean, you don't see Rory McIlroy going off to buy a tournament tshirt between the 9th and 10th hole do you? Nope. You don't see Tebow off texting his buddies or watching the latest viral video on his iPad when the defense is on the field, do you? Nope.

all of these rules look fine and acceptable to me, gymnast or cheerleader,
while their meet is going on, they are allowed to stay in leotard if they choose, or put their warm up on. where as usasf is trying to make us cover up. other then that everything looks fine, and no different then most of us do now.
appearance wise i think we are fine, other then the people that choose to wear uggs with their uniforms, or pjs to comp.
people should definitely follow the sports bra one more though, even at our gym the straps are constantly showing out the back. there are so many differnt types of sports bras i dont know why people choose to have them show.

Let's not forget that the most elite level gymnasts never compete against a regular level 10 optional gymnast. And yet in level 5 cheer the most elite tumblers are pitted against the kids with fulls/doubles and they are considered the same level.

And in gymnastics you have to pass through each level. There are required All Around scores that you have to achieve in sanctioned meets in order to move up to the next level. So it is mandated that you demonstrate mastery of the skills at one level, in the All Around, before moving up to the next level. You can't just be great at Vault and Floor, and suck at Bars and Beam and move up...you have to do well at all 4 events. Your coach can't just bump you up from level 8 to level 9 because they need a good VT and FX person.

I thought Rebecca handled it well?
Yeah, but she still screamed (as I would have!! Holy heck that must have hurt!)..I just think 'must exhibit self control and calmness' is a silly rule. I get that in the case of a fall they don't want you having a breakdown and fling a chalk bucket, or if you get a slight injury they don't want you making a big to-do about it.. but if I'm tearing a ligament or breaking a leg I will probably shout and I will probably be crying. And everyone will just have to deal.

Let's not forget that the most elite level gymnasts never compete against a regular level 10 optional gymnast. And yet in level 5 cheer the most elite tumblers are pitted against the kids with fulls/doubles and they are considered the same level.

I think you are hitting the nail on the head! It is incredibly intimidating to be a brand new level 5 kid.. I remember my cp getting her full and being soooooo excited, then she went to level 5 tumbling class and got in line in the corner behind the most skilled girl in the class.. It was a very humbling moment, lol..... I don't know what the answer is to fix this, but I think level 5 is a really broad spectrum as far as tumbling goes...

My daughter did about 3 years of competitive gymnastics after cheer and I must say that some of the rules are rather strict. For instance, the hair. Everytime your hair falls across your face or you brush your hair away from your face it is a deduction. There was a girl on another team that had super long hair and always wore it in a ponytail. She had beautiful routines but she got CLOBBERED in deductions because of this "hair rule". There is also a deduction for "picking your wedgie". So that is probably why most gymnasts have the super tight pulled-back hair and the million clips!!

As a coach - I love coaching ex-gymnasts. They are disciplined, respectful and the hardest working kids on the teams. Do you know HOW DISRESPECTFUL CHEERLEADERS ARE? Furthermore, how Disrespectful some of the parents can be? Has anyone logged onto twitter lately? Would you DARE see gymnasts acting like that at a meet? NO! You wouldn't. I would love more strict rules about how you act and would LOVE a punishable action. Parents should be included in that as well. I wish we had stricter deductions. Teach this kids something about respect. I would NEVER talk to an adult growing up in the way that kids have talked to me. Not to try to be egotistical - but I am a pretty strict coach. Kids typically don't talk back to me - so the fact kids have talked to me the way they do, I can't imagine how they talk to someone who they KNOW then can get away with it and walk all over.

As a coach - I love coaching ex-gymnasts. They are disciplined, respectful and the hardest working kids on the teams. Do you know HOW DISRESPECTFUL CHEERLEADERS ARE? Furthermore, how Disrespectful some of the parents can be? Has anyone logged onto twitter lately? Would you DARE see gymnasts acting like that at a meet? NO! You wouldn't. I would love more strict rules about how you act and would LOVE a punishable action. Parents should be included in that as well. I wish we had stricter deductions. Teach this kids something about respect. I would NEVER talk to an adult growing up in the way that kids have talked to me. Not to try to be egotistical - but I am a pretty strict coach. Kids typically don't talk back to me - so the fact kids have talked to me the way they do, I can't imagine how they talk to someone who they KNOW then can get away with it and walk all over.

I could not agree more!!!

Back