All-Star Varsity - "the Summit"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I guess I don't see what you are saying, are you saying that big name gyms with Level 5 worlds teams will not attend the Summit, I actually think they would because they have a bigger staff to pull from so the staff does not have to be in orlando for two weeks . =)

Well Cheer Extreme and CA have both said in this thread that they wouldn't be attending. It's a lot of trouble and money to be there for both weekends, especially when many consider Worlds to be the end of the season. I would imagine that this would be most appealing to gyms that don't have worlds teams.

Well Cheer Extreme and CA have both said in this thread that they wouldn't be attending. It's a lot of trouble and money to be there for both weekends, especially when many consider Worlds to be the end of the season. I would imagine that this would be most appealing to gyms that don't have worlds teams.
It could be. But it doesn't appeal to my CPs gym. We'd rather go to a competition with CA and CEA and finish top five or top three (or maybe even win...hey, it could happen right) :D than go to a competition where CA, CEA, Cali etc etc aren't going to be and win.

Just a thought . . . . Ive seen many people reply with Varsity throws information out of the blue when programs already have had tryouts, and it might affect them for the new season.

Are programs having try outs way to early? Ive seen some programs advertise that they are having tryouts a week after worlds.
At least three gyms where we are have not even had tryouts yet, they all have them in June.

I guess I don't see what you are saying, are you saying that big name gyms with Level 5 worlds teams will not attend the Summit, I actually think they would because they have a bigger staff to pull from so the staff does not have to be in orlando for two weeks . =)

One of the great things about our gym is that the Worlds caliber coaches coach all levels, not just level5. Both of my daughters' coaches also coach a Worlds team, so their coaches would have miss the last several practices before the Summit. Yes, there are other coaches in the gym who could coach my kids' teams during Worlds, but I would feel more comfortable with the coaches that have been working with the team the entire season.

Enter sandbagging.

Now gyms will put together that powerhouse level 2 team made of level 3,4,5 athletes to get a bid to the summit.

The NCA "controversy" from this past season all over again...
So.. is it common to give bids based on last years' teams? Did i read correctly that they preselected teams from past season to get first bids? Just seems kind of weird when in theory lower level teams may be significantly different this year?

UCA college nationals now gives out bids based on the previous year. A team that was great last year may not be that great the following year. I am on the fence about it really, I can see the point but at the same time they should have to work for their bid the same way everyone else does.
Like the world champions I use to think should get an automatic bid, but an example of how that could be iffy is 2011 worlds, KA Cats won worlds in 2010 but in 2011 they were almost an entirely new team and didn't even compare really to the 2010 team.

I think it's not that bad to allow champions get a partial bid for next year but I think that bid should belong to that team. If the gym no longer has that team then I don't think they should use the bid or be able to pass it to whichever team they want.

ztaprincess
I agree with your point. Do you really think KE/KA didn't compare to 2010? I thought they were robbed of Top 3, but that's just me. I mean, they HIT and the difficulty was definitely there. Sorry- off topic.

I think they were a great team, but the 2010 team was amazing all year long and the 2011 team just didn't compare to what year before brought. I still think they should have made top 3, but I don't think that they should have been given an automatic bid because they were a completely different team.

As to tryouts, we do tryouts in May with placements at the end of the month. That seems unusual for this area, but we've been tweaking our whole tryout process the last couple of years so who knows if that'll stick.

UCA college nationals now gives out bids based on the previous year. A team that was great last year may not be that great the following year. I am on the fence about it really, I can see the point but at the same time they should have to work for their bid the same way everyone else does.
Like the world champions I use to think should get an automatic bid, but an example of how that could be iffy is 2011 worlds, KA Cats won worlds in 2010 but in 2011 they were almost an entirely new team and didn't even compare really to the 2010 team.
UCA aka Varsity aka USASF always has been and always will be the same to me, UNTIL decisions made for one do not seem to have ANY affect for the other. The "roll over bid" is the "good ole boy" system. Keeps the gyms/teams that do well to continue to return. Those gyms in return will speak favorably of their events.

Idk what will come of this "Summit", I look forward to seeing what will come of it. However, I'm already annoyed that a level 1-4 "World Champion" style event is ok and even catering to gyms without "World's" teams. I'm not taking anything away from gyms that don't but if your going to call it the "best of the best" then dang it figure out where/how/whatever needs to be done to make it the best of the best of ALL gyms, if not just call yourself another national and recognize it for what it really is, just another comp at Disney.

We finish almost a month before this event, for us it's perfect to finish earlier rather than later. But then again, I wasn't in this focus group so idl all details.

Exactly!

Because of the cost (monetary and otherwise) involved with going to this event, I could imagine gyms having to upfront put together a team who have all agreed to the cost. If a gym is going to put together a team(s) for the purpose of going to the Summit, it makes it easy to want to OVERLY sandbag (and I don't consider a team that is 75% skill level with a few higher level role players to be sandbagging.)

But oh yeah, we don't really have any real registration process in order yet to even prevent this.

Exactly!

Because of the cost (monetary and otherwise) involved with going to this event, I could imagine gyms having to upfront put together a team who have all agreed to the cost. If a gym is going to put together a team(s) for the purpose of going to the Summit, it makes it easy to want to OVERLY sandbag (and I don't consider a team that is 75% skill level with a few higher level role players to be sandbagging.)

But oh yeah, we don't really have any real registration process in order yet to even prevent this.
I must be out of the loop ... what was the "controversy"?

Back