All-Star Varsity - "the Summit"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think I can appreciate acknowledging teams that are fantastic in their division with a great work ethic and drive, without giving the impression that they're the best team out of all levels (Although hypothetically that would make level 6 the highest, when that's currently not quite the case). Because you KNOW you're gonna have some girl wanting to show off her 'World Champion' junior 2 *insert prize here* like she single-handedly killed a manticore. I think there should be a reward with perspective- like 'Good on you for being awesome at your level! You may not be at the top of the ability chain, but what you CAN do is awesome!'

Apologies if this comes off as harsh, but as someone who tried (and failed) to play a sport at the highest levels, I tend to not be all that enamored with the idea of making everyone a "world champion". To me, that distinction really does need to be saved for the best of the best, not for the best at a particular level.

That doesn't mean that having a mega-competition for other age groups and levels is a bad thing, but if we're going to try to pass it off as "Worlds for all" then it really does cheapen what Worlds is supposed to be. It gets close to that mentality of giving everyone an appreciation sticker or a medal for trying, which I think is fine when you're 5 but not so much after you're old enough to understand the nature of competition.

And besides, I think NCA, Cheersport and Jamfest Indy do a pretty good of giving non-World's teams the major competition experience. Another similar competition isn't necessarily evil or anything, but is perhaps unnecessary?

Apologies if this comes off as harsh, but as someone who tried (and failed) to play a sport at the highest levels, I tend to not be all that enamored with the idea of making everyone a "world champion". To me, that distinction really does need to be saved for the best of the best, not for the best at a particular level.

That doesn't mean that having a mega-competition for other age groups and levels is a bad thing, but if we're going to try to pass it off as "Worlds for all" then it really does cheapen what Worlds is supposed to be. It gets close to that mentality of giving everyone an appreciation sticker or a medal for trying, which I think is fine when you're 5 but not so much after you're old enough to understand the nature of competition.

And besides, I think NCA, Cheersport and Jamfest Indy do a pretty good of giving non-World's teams the major competition experience. Another similar competition isn't necessarily evil or anything, but is perhaps unnecessary?
I can agree with this. I personally think this competition is unnecessary and way too 'Happy Sunny Cupcakes for All!' for a competitive sport (believe it or not, I don't think another sport does stuff like this. No, we're not like all other sports, but that doesn't mean they don't do some things better than we do. Admitting that isn't wrong). I think we should have stuck with a USASF-backed IALC concept. That was good enough for me.

This post took the words out of my mouth. "World Champions" should be saved for the highest level of competition, the most elite. Of course some kids will never make it to Level 5 and never make it to Worlds... Sorry! If you can't develop the skills to make it to Level 5 and be on a team that will go to/win Worlds, then you shouldn't get to be crowned the best of the best... Because (very harsh truth alert) you're not. I was never a level 5, I never went to Worlds, I had plenty to strive for and I don't feel like I was robbed of anything in my cheerleading experience. There are a lot of other very prestigious competitions for the lower levels to focus on.

I can agree with this. I personally think this competition is unnecessary and way too 'Happy Sunny Cupcakes for All!' for a competitive sport (believe it or not, I don't think another sport does stuff like this. No, we're not like all other sports, but that doesn't mean they don't do some things better than we do. Admitting that isn't wrong). I think we should have stuck with a USASF-backed IALC concept. That was good enough for me.

AMEN !

I would give anything to go to worlds, but it wouldnt mean as much if I wasnt level 5. It would be cool if they made a new big competition, just dont call it worlds. when you are a world champian, that means your the best of the best. If your level 2...sorry but your not.

I feel like I should clarify here.

1) do I think lower levels are as "good" as level 5, no. I even said that at one point. Clearly they don't have the same skills as basically half of the state of Texas.

2) do I think anyone other than lv5 should be crowned a world champion, no. Ill go one step further, I don't think you should be crowed a WORLD champion unless you've competed against the "world." If teams in your division don't require a passport to go visit their gym, you're not a "world" anything, you're national.

3) do I think the best of each individual level should be recognized in some manner for being the best of that level...absolutely. I don't think they should be ignored or discounted just because they don't have a whip full double (may it rest in peace). Does that have to be a competition in the Milkhouse a week after worlds, heck no. I'm not a fan of the summit, I liked the idea of all levels (not so much the execution) much better.

4) do I think worlds should be the pinnacle. Yes. That's why I wasn't sad to see the junior teams cut, because how "special" is it if you've been going to it every year since you were 9? that's the reason we won't even go to watch it live. until my kids have worked hard enough to earn worlds, they can watch it on the live stream. They're only level 4 and they're not deserving of worlds yet. When they get to that level, they'll get everything that goes along with it.

On the whole I agree with basically everyone about this issue. The only part that sets me off if when comments are tossed out to dog on level 1s and 2s etc (and I don't have one of those...see previous comment)

There are a lot of kids who aspire to be like the top ten teams everyone talks about on here. Whether they post or just stalk, they're here and they're reading. While they need to understand that they are not the top of the game, they need to understand that they have a lot of work to do to get there and it doesn't come easy, they also don't need to be belittled because they're not there yet. Their brag post may be a round off backhandspring they finally landed on their own, which to most fierce boarders is not on their radar, but it's the same kid that with proper encouragement two or three years from now will be bragging about their full they just landed on their own or that lv5 team they just made after x years dreaming about it.

So while I agree with everyone, I just don't think the tone of voice that needs to be carried to lesser skilled athletes is, "you suck."

Whether this comp is really necessary or not, I as a parent after worlds am just burned out and could not imagine staying another whole week in Orlando. If you are a parent like me that has to drive a distance to a gym and do not have the luxery of dropping off and going home for the 3 hour practice, it is exhausting leading up to worlds with the extra practices. Maybe my age is showing but I do not know why this comp can not be before worlds and in a different location or further is even necessary. Let alone the whole "Sunny Cupcakes for Suzie" issue.

Maybe effort should be put towards making the All Levels a better event. (And by better, I mean no more combining / splitting divisions at local events only to combine in the final event, transparent scoring of those final teams, etc.)

My only issues with this event is (1) timing, and (2) location. We all know Disney is extremely expensive and cannot accomodate the current crowds for worlds. With that being said, Worlds will have to move one day (after 2014), Varsity should use this event as a test site for another potential worlds location. (Disney land - CA, Atlanta (i know), Dallas - Cowboys stadium), JMO. I like the idea of a consolidated "championship" event for all levels. TBH, the current All-levels thing is a waste of time. Competing at different locations against other teams, No thank you.

idk if anyone said this yet but this is really cool but weird because all levels is already a varsity brand. ? unless their getting rid of the original all levels competition and bringing it to florida ?

Initial thoughts from hearing this concept - Wish this was exclusively for senior aged kids... Who have gone through the ranks and won't be burn out by "already winning worlds" or "already winning the summit"... After all, isn't that why we don't have juniors at worlds anymore? Would also love for it to be illegal for athletes who competed at Worlds to compete at The Summit (with the exception of alternates who never took the mat). Those kids already had their big moment, let these kids have theirs... Without teams sandbagging to win. Love the recognition for these lower level athletes. Seems like a great first step idea.

Back