What Can I Use Instead Of A Stunt Stand?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2013
Soup cans aren't the best idea... (broke it) and I don't particularly want to use a brick. I have no one to practice with and can't afford a stunt stand. What could I use instead?

Soup cans aren't the best idea... (broke it) and I don't particularly want to use a brick. I have no one to practice with and can't afford a stunt stand. What could I use instead?

I just started using these with my athletes: cheerbalance.com

I highly recommend them. It is the first device I think actually helps teach the correct way of squeezing in a stunt.

I just started using these with my athletes: cheerbalance.com

I highly recommend them. It is the first device I think actually helps teach the correct way of squeezing in a stunt.
Thank you! Gotta start saving now though... Or pull the puppy dog face with my grandparents. :)

I have always been taught that you never should balance in a stunt, but doesn't these things teach you to balance, or doesn't they move enough? I have always wondered how good these are i reality..

I'm loving the stunt stand. I'm gonna have to check out King 's toy now though. I'm a sucker for good equipment.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

These dills are training stability, not balance. Stability is the ability to resist changes to your balance. Balance is the ability to maintain equilibrium (staying upright)

If you are standing and someone come out of the blue and pushes you, and you fall to the ground, we would say you were balanced but unstable. You were balanced because you were standing on 2 feet. But you are unstable because you did not resist that force that made you unbalanced.

Now, if this same person was coming to push you a second time, but you see them in advanced, when he pushes you again, to not fall over, you tighten your muscles, and take a wider stance. The push is resisted and you do not fall over. This time we would say that you were both balanced AND stable.

When flying, your bases are supposed to be the ones that balance the flyer. However, for them to maintain balance, the flyer must remain stable by keeping their core tight! By training to be stable, the flyer will help the bases be able to better balance her while she is in the air.

Hope this helps clear up your confusion. If not, pm me. I'm literally laying in bed with my one eye open, half-asleep, writing this so it might have ended up confusing. lol

I'm loving the stunt stand. I'm gonna have to check out King 's toy now though. I'm a sucker for good equipment.

I have always taught stunting more from an Eastern style philosophy. I believe it is really important to find 'center' and being able to hold center. When you can find center it doesn't matter what configuration your body is in you are perfectly balanced over yourself. To the base/bases below you a really good flyer who can find center is the same to hold in any situation. To me lots of times when people complain of flyers balancing it is because that flyer is trying to find their center but has no idea where it is. Because they have no concept of center (not meaning they don't mentally understand the construct, but that their body doesn't know what it is) they wildly flail in and out and around. They usually arrive at some point where the body leans outside of center where the flyers weight is concentrated, lots of times on the toe. Stunts can be held this way but it creates really bad habits when you try and tick tock, full around again, or pop a double. We have so many concepts that describe around this, but not this exactly. Flyers need to stay in their tube, but they are leaning so they go outside their tube. When popping doubles seeing them travel a good ways.

I have always taught my stunt classes first on the ground laying on my back. I would simulate the cheer balance thing I posted to try and teach kids about center. I also have drills at home they would do. Before I ever taught them in the air they had to know what center was and how to squeeze and hold center. The cheer balance stand, to me, does a lot better job of teach you how to find and hold center. Wobble boards that roll fast do not teach center but instead focus on just the strengthening of your ankle and overly active corrections to balance because they roll and pitch. The cheer balance stand does not roll and pitch, but instead it moves laterally. It focuses on teaching you to find your center. Once center is found the rest of stunting becomes a lot easier. Fulling up when you can find your center is much easier to learn because you rotate over your center point.

I am happy because I can teach multiple people how to find center outside of practice now.

King I watched the video for this and immediately sent it to our gym owner. She's an acro guru so this is perfect for both of our sports. I'm hoping she buys 20 lol

I also lie on my back and teach kids stunts on the ground. It's good to know I'm doing some things right haha. I like how you broke it down about "finding center" -- it's perfect. Thank you.

Our gym uses the cheer balance ones, they are AWESOME! I known our flyers really think they simulate stunting better than the others we had.

Our gym uses the cheer balance ones, they are AWESOME! I known our flyers really think they simulate stunting better than the others we had.

I think it works because it teaches the concept of center which is used in stunting over teaching stunting. If they could hold more weight I would use them for bases because finding center for a base is also very important.

Youll have to excuse my love of center. I was a very bad stunter when I started and actually took kung fu and it changed my idea of how to stunt. After that I got a lot better a lot faster.

I have always been taught that you never should balance in a stunt, but doesn't these things teach you to balance, or doesn't they move enough? I have always wondered how good these are i reality..
They do teach you how to balance, and though you shouldn't balance in a stunt, if you're up in a full often you need to balance a bit and it's hard to do one legs without balancing. Also if your bases stumble, having that extra balance helps.

I just had to come back in to update on the cheer balance stunt stands in case anyone was planning to order. My good friend bought one for her daughter. He was selling one on ebay and she won it at the starting price, which was less than the website price but not dirt cheap by any means. The auction stated it would ship no more than 3 days from the auction ending/payment. She paid immediately and now almost 3 weeks later she still has no stunt stand. It has been one excuse after another and just really frustrating. The seller was the manufacturer himself and has admitted in emails he never had it to sell, it had to be made. Just bad business if you ask me and clearly not stated in the listing. I guess my point is know going in that you may have to wait for it, and be prepared in case it happens to you. She has been emailing/calling every day or 2 when she hasnt been updated. If she wasnt so persistent I dont know that she would even be getting it- it now has a tracking # and was shipped yesterday.....conveniently after she filed an ebay claim.

Great product but it seems their sales and marketing dept can use some work.

I just had to come back in to update on the cheer balance stunt stands in case anyone was planning to order. My good friend bought one for her daughter. He was selling one on ebay and she won it at the starting price, which was less than the website price but not dirt cheap by any means. The auction stated it would ship no more than 3 days from the auction ending/payment. She paid immediately and now almost 3 weeks later she still has no stunt stand. It has been one excuse after another and just really frustrating. The seller was the manufacturer himself and has admitted in emails he never had it to sell, it had to be made. Just bad business if you ask me and clearly not stated in the listing. I guess my point is know going in that you may have to wait for it, and be prepared in case it happens to you. She has been emailing/calling every day or 2 when she hasnt been updated. If she wasnt so persistent I dont know that she would even be getting it- it now has a tracking # and was shipped yesterday.....conveniently after she filed an ebay claim.

Great product but it seems their sales and marketing dept can use some work.
So are you saying this happened when she ordered it from the manufacturer or when she ordered it from someone privately on ebay. I have been considering ordering one. Thanks!

Back