All-Star What Did That Parent Just Say To Their Kid?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

12stepCheermom

Best Parent and Grammar Teacher '14
Cheer Parent
May 10, 2011
So, I looked through several pages and didn't see a thread where I could post this, but we were at a competition today and I heard something from a parent to her daughter that made my jaw drop....I thought there were probably a lot more of these comments others had heard.

youth age Cp - "mom, I'm hungry, are we gonna get something to eat?"
mom - "no."
cp - "but, I'm hungry!"
mom - "good, maybe that will get you to lose a few pounds."

For the record - this kid was MAYBE 10 years old and had NO body fat that I could see and she was wearing a half shirt....and mom was dead serious. Being an educator the first thing I wanted to do was slap the mom and tell her that it would be her own fault when her kid has body image issues and eating disorders. As it was...I just walked away.

That is absolutely disgusting. The mother should be starved and then stoned like in the old days. I feel bad for that child.
totally off topic - is that the point loma lighthouse in your avatar? I got it on my wall downstairs from our visit to SD last March :) beautiful place....and to be back on topic....I totally agree. And people wonder why the cheer industry and crazy cheer moms have the reputation they do...

Yes it is. I live in San Diego and love going out to point loma. Did you get to go inside the lighthouse, it is cramped but an awesome experience. What part of the country do you live in?

Yes it is. I live in San Diego and love going out to point loma. Did you get to go inside the lighthouse, it is cramped but an awesome experience. What part of the country do you live in?
We saw it as we were headed out on the boat. I surprised my hubby with a deep sea fishing trip for his 40th birthday :) We live in Charlotte, NC.

We saw it as we were headed out on the boat. I surprised my hubby with a deep sea fishing trip for his 40th birthday :) We live in Charlotte, NC.
Are you with Charlotte All Stars then. That is a veery good program. Are you guys going to uca nationals in orlando this year?

In all honesty, my cp and I had a similar conversation in the recent past, which was heard by other people that looked at me like I was crazy. However, what wasn't heard was the fact that she and I have talked about eating healthful foods, and as much of that as she could possibly want, avoiding fast food (competition concessions count,) taking care of her heart health - and this includes maintaining a healthy weight.
You see, Paparazzi had a massive heart attack a couple of weeks ago. Part of reason for 100% blockage in his right coronary artery was from eating fatty foods and not watching his weight. He's not morbidly obese or anything, and he's only 36 years old, so it was a big wake-up call for us.
Maybe the parent you witnessed was insensitive, or flat-out wrong, but maybe there were additional reasons for her reaction.

In all honesty, my cp and I had a similar conversation in the recent past, which was heard by other people that looked at me like I was crazy. However, what wasn't heard was the fact that she and I have talked about eating healthful foods, and as much of that as she could possibly want, avoiding fast food (competition concessions count,) taking care of her heart health - and this includes maintaining a healthy weight.
You see, Paparazzi had a massive heart attack a couple of weeks ago. Part of reason for 100% blockage in his right coronary artery was from eating fatty foods and not watching his weight. He's not morbidly obese or anything, and he's only 36 years old, so it was a big wake-up call for us.
Maybe the parent you witnessed was insensitive, or flat-out wrong, but maybe there were additional reasons for her reaction.
Mamarazzi, I'm so sorry!! That must have been awful for you all. . . Sending hugs and clear artery vibes your way. . .

Oh wow -so sorry to hear that!!! Is he okay?

My very first uniform try on with CP (the new uni's had come in and everyone was making sure they fit properly). This was a show team and there were 26 kids and their moms crammed into the lobby area checking uniforms. And this woman exclaims loudly in front of her cp and everyone else "O-M-G, this will not do! Look at her, she looks like the Pilsbury F***ing Dough Boy!"

Thankfully one of the coaches calmed her down and switched uni's with another cp who's top was too big.

Mamarazzi, I'm really sorry to hear about the heart attack. My husband was in the same place at 35, having suffered a heart attack. We completely changed our eating habits and here he is, 16 years later, healthy and never having any more problems. I hope your husband is the same!!!

Oh wow -so sorry to hear that!!! Is he okay?

@ellen495 , @fullpass and @MyDaughterCheers , "ok" is relative, I guess. He's recovering from the stents and will see the cardiologist tomorrow. He feels a lot better, in general, than he did before the heart attack, though!
My point really, is that there are lots of factors that go into why people say the things they say, and none of us should judge. Maybe the Mom referenced in the opening of the thread was psycho, but maybe not.

My very first uniform try on with CP (the new uni's had come in and everyone was making sure they fit properly). This was a show team and there were 26 kids and their moms crammed into the lobby area checking uniforms. And this woman exclaims loudly in front of her cp and everyone else "O-M-G, this will not do! Look at her, she looks like the Pilsbury F***ing Dough Boy!"

Thankfully one of the coaches calmed her down and switched uni's with another cp who's top was too big.

That poor child doesn't have a chance!

Back