OT What Did You Go To College For?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
....I got my B.A in Mass Communication- Broadcast Journalism.

I don't recommend it.

My advice to my sister and all the other kids I know that will be entering college is to major in something with a clear job path. Its a buzz kill sure...but this Liberal Studies, Philosophy, Social Science, Sociology, etc and so forth. Fun now....but when you can't get a job and the student loan people are waiting for you as soon as you cross the stage....Good Luck.

Science and technology (to me) are the way to go.

(Btw. I got my MLIS and now I am a librarian)

I second this. when I was in high school I was convinced I wanted to go to school for journalism and graphic design. took it in highschool and designed my junior and senior year book and everything. then reality set in. It's a dying field. all of my friends that majored in communication are struggling to find jobs, and the majority of them settled on a non major related job. what's the point of that?
I am going to school for a double major in athletic training and spanish. I absolutely love it. I got interested in it over the years due to my own health issues and struggles with recurrent injuries. i started off looking at physical therapy, but realized i really just wanted to work with the athletic population. its a good thing i ended up at school where i did. our program is one of the top ranked in the country and very competitive. you have to apply to get in. freshman year we started with 150. 75 applied, and 25 got in. the whole time i was going through the process i was worried that it wasn't what i really wanted to do and all i kept thinking was i pretty much couldnt change my mind because it's one of those once youre in, you're in kind a majors because all of our classes are major specific. well all that doubt faded away once i started my clinical experience. it reassured me that i loved what i was doing and its what i want to do with my life. working with debbie love with trying to get athletic trainers into cheer gyms has even further shown me this is what i want to do with my life.

Agreed. I got my B.A. In mass comm/broadcast journalism. I'm a full time coach though and I was a teacher (speech/English/reading) for 5 years after college. While teaching I had to go back to school to take education courses.
Choose a major with a clear career path.

I'm going into my second year of University and after a first year of general courses, I am transferring to a major in Kinesiology to get a bachelors and from there am planning to get a degree in Physical Therapy! The introductory Kin course I took this year was amazing, i totally loved it!
and cheerheart4life just this past year my University had their AIDS Vaccine approved for human testing and is in the process now! (sorry proud student here!) That's a great path to take!

I was a history major, intent on becoming a teacher. Hated the education classes, so no go on the teaching. Worked in fields that had absolutely zero to do with what I studied.

Find something you enjoy and that you can make a living doing. Don't worry about entry level requirements like SharkDad said. That's just to separate from the pack in the interview process.

..I went to school for acting. I don't recommend it unless you 1110% (yes, that much percentage lol) want to do it. Then I say, 'Make it work and prepare to fail.' I am a part-time actress, full-time maitre d'. However, I can't imagine doing anything else in all truthfulness. I mean sure, some day I might like to coach, do something sports related, teach acting (love working with kids), or get a dramatherapy degree. But actually acting has always been my first love, and I was blessed with the privilege to go to school for it and the ability to take care of myself while doing it. I'm lucky. :)

I'm going into my Junior year of college and majoring in Statistics. I'm incredible in math and actually do alot better when I'm challenged or taking a course load where I have harder classes. I made deans list this past semester with my hardest set of classes to date. Do something you enjoy it makes school alot more bearable and will make your job enjoyable to you.

Thankyou all for you comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. Ive done so much research on sonography and I'm really wanting to stick with it...well I'm 80% sure. I just suck at making decisions. X-ray tech and Radiologist has always been a option too

just ended my 1st out of my 4 year program for my BA in design majoring in Graphic Design and Minoring in Advertising, i love the design world and the fact that my parents actually support my decision to go to 'art school' although i wish designers and advertisers got more credit for what they do i am so passionate about what i am doing and honestly thats all the matters to me im doing what i want for once in my life

I'll be a senior next year & want to attend Community college for two years then transfer but still unsure on what to major on :p
I want to own a cheer gym one day so does anyone have an idea on what I should work on in college? I was thinking more business related but there is just so many options!
Feel free to PM me :)

I'll be a senior next year & want to attend Community college for two years then transfer but still unsure on what to major on :p
I want to own a cheer gym one day so does anyone have an idea on what I should work on in college? I was thinking more business related but there is just so many options!
Feel free to PM me :)

I want to own my own gym, too! That's why I'm gonna major in sports management. Some schools have it under their education college and some have it under their business college.

TinyBlondie15 I have my BS in Sports Management and am currently getting my master's in Sports Hospitality Management so feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I would suggest if you're thinking of owning a gym you take a LOT of business courses.

And for anyone, my best advice is to do internships. My school required two 120-hour and one full-time semester long internship. Huge help in figuring out what I did/didn't want to do. If you're thinking of anything in the medical field, make sure your school has connections to various hospitals/doctor's offices so you can get experience!!

TinyBlondie15 I have my BS in Sports Management and am currently getting my master's in Sports Hospitality Management so feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I would suggest if you're thinking of owning a gym you take a LOT of business courses.

And for anyone, my best advice is to do internships. My school required two 120-hour and one full-time semester long internship. Huge help in figuring out what I did/didn't want to do. If you're thinking of anything in the medical field, make sure your school has connections to various hospitals/doctor's offices so you can get experience!!

Thank you! I'll keep you in mind! I'm currently taking marketing and businesses classes in High School so hopefully those will help! Also, I'm working on getting an internship through my school currently so hopefully that will also help in college..

Back