All-Star What Got You Into Doing Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I fell in love with the whole idea of tumbling/gymnastics watching Paul Hamm and Carly Patterson in 04 at Athens, so I started gymnastics and tumbling classes. I went between tumbling at a cheer gym and doing gymnastics, and then did gymnastics for about 3 years. I started to only improve on floor, nowhere else, so I tumbled at the gym I did gymnastics at, but looked up the cheer gym I used to tumble at online. I saw a competition video of one of their teams, and the next video was a Cheer Athletics routine from 07. After watching those, I was hooked and knew what I wanted to do next. My first competitive season was 08-09 and I started with a janky running tuck, now I have a standing full and running double:)

I was one of those girls who was like "cheerleading isn't a sport, they just dance and wave pom poms." (I pretty much based my assumption off of media interpretation) I did martial arts for 10 years, had a black belt, and thought cheerleading was just for girly girls. Then my friend tried it, and I came to support her at a basketball game, and I saw them stunting and was like "WHOA!" and then she told me I should try out, and I did, and was probably terrible, but made it. Then my coach showed me a video of Top Gun in '08 and I was like Ohmygodthisisamazing. And I've loved it ever since. I wish I gave it a chance earlier!

I was so jealous of the flips my best friend did on the playground, I needed to learn. I guess I was even competitive back then. Then, I did gymnastics for many years which evolved into all-star cheerleading where I discovered my true passion and love for something.

In 1st grade my classmate brought me to bring-a-friend day at Cheer Central Suns and I fell in love with it! The next season I started Rec cheer at CCS and did that for three years. After a long struggle to get my backhandspring I finally started competitive and have been doing it ever since! :)

I started in dance at a young age and didn't find cheer until HS but I didn't find sideline exciting as performing on stage so one day years later after college, kids & coaching for ever at this point I saw my first all star competition on ESPN. My daughter was 4 at the time and said that's what I want to do! So I researched for her & I; found her a great all star program and now she is 16 and on her road to WORLDS this year! I have 3 children that all chose cheer !

I was 7 at gymnastics class when i saw the cheerleaders practice. I ran up to my mom when the class was over and said "Mom I want to do that!" and who would have known it was meant to be;) from there I was on an intermediate or advanced team ( too young to remember, but geeze I feel old not giving a level number!) Then I went to a couple different gyms over the years, but finally my last 2 years I found my perfect match gym and got to go to Worlds with the best teammates and coaches I could ever ask for :)

I was a street tumbler in school. Starting taking recreation gymnastics classes around 12. Then went to Champions Academy of Gymnastics in NJ for team and more classes. Moved to VA and kept taking classes at YMCA and helping out local coaches to get free tumble time.Was asked to cheer when in college but I refused, although I would teach them how to tumble a little and hang out with them. Got hit by car and had to drop out of school so I started teaching full time to make ends meet.

Fast forward many years! After I had taken a break from coaching competitive gymnastics for about 2 years, my then 12 year old daughter expressed an interest in cheering. I thought she was joking because she never expressed any desire like that before and definitely was not a girly girl cheerleading type at that time in her life.

Went to a local cheer gym. Checked out their prices :eek: and kinda joked if they ever needed help in teaching tumbling classes so I could pay for cheer to let me know. They thought I was joking too I guess and asked me to bring in a resume.

Been coaching either part time or full time ever since.

Well my mom was all I don't want to pay that much money a month about CEA. Ive also looked at Cheer Mania in Welcome too so I don't which one I might go too. But the only tumbling I have is a cartwheel, round off, and front handspring/walkover. I had a running front tuck but lost it when I stopped tumbling
Gotta chime in on CSA as one of the teams we compete against...they're awesome. They could teach a class in how to be clean in competition. Great program!

I was one of those girls who was like "cheerleading isn't a sport, they just dance and wave pom poms." (I pretty much based my assumption off of media interpretation) I did martial arts for 10 years, had a black belt, and thought cheerleading was just for girly girls. Then my friend tried it, and I came to support her at a basketball game, and I saw them stunting and was like "WHOA!" and then she told me I should try out, and I did, and was probably terrible, but made it. Then my coach showed me a video of Top Gun in '08 and I was like Ohmygodthisisamazing. And I've loved it ever since. I wish I gave it a chance earlier!
Whenever I'm trying to explain what Allstar cheer is....I pull up TG unlimited coed 2010 :)

Back