All-Star What I Would Change (rules/regulations...)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2012
So over the past weekend, I worked and competed at both an all-star and high school/middle school state cheer competition. Seeing some of the tumbling from the school division honestly scared me... some of the passes were so low and under rotated, I thought they were literally going to break their necks. Along with the tumbling, some of the stunt falls hit hard in both warmups and performance. It got me thinking about the floor rules we have in place. Generally, high school (or any school) does not compete on a spring floor, vs the Allstars who do. I personally have grown up in both high school and allstar cheer, and all star competitions generally have better (and safer) tumbling and stunting technique. Now in college, our team practices on a spring, and we only really perform on a spring if we can help it.

I think the number one thing that I would change for all competitive cheerleading, regardless of club or school, is to compete on spring. Cheerleaders perform around the same tumbling passes as a gymnast, and gymnasts use spring, always. If something were to happen and an athlete bailed, the spring floor is more forgiving than a dead mat. I also think that the same rule applies to stunting... as bad as it sounds, a stunt drop will be less painful on spring (usually!) and the flyer can kind of "bounce" back up. I just have seen so many horrible injuries that could have been lessened if a spring floor was used.

Another thing is the 7, 8, or 9 pannel situation. As a former allstar, I always used 9. Always. In college, at a D1 school, usually it is 8 (UCA nationals...). Our team is more all-star, and we are fortunate enough to use 9. Some school competitions I have seen 7 or 9. I think there needs to be a universal panel mat rule implemented. Tumbling passes are so hard to fit on 7 or 8 if an athlete is used to 9, and vice versa. The non-uniformatity of size can also be dangerous if an athlete flies off of a stage or tumbles into another athlete because of spacing issues. Not to mention the complicated formation switches!!

Just wanted to know what you all thought of this... or if anyone else thought the same thing.

While I do agree that schools should compete on spring floor, it has been brought up too many times to count that most schools can't afford to purchase spring floors. They also don't usually have the time or space to set them up for every practice. It is a really good idea, but it is not very practical. If you look at the thread that King just created today, it talks more about what can be done to help make better mats more universal.
Cheer - Roll Out 'spring Floor' | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

in canada most comps. are both high school and allstar, so it is mostly on spring floor. i would like to see it always be on a spring floor too

While I do agree that schools should compete on spring floor, it has been brought up too many times to count that most schools can't afford to purchase spring floors. They also don't usually have the time or space to set them up for every practice. It is a really good idea, but it is not very practical. If you look at the thread that King just created today, it talks more about what can be done to help make better mats more universal.
Cheer - Roll Out 'spring Floor' | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Yep, my college was pretty much in the boonies. We didn't have the luxury of practicing at an all-star facility and some of the girls would freak out about their tumbling when we would exhibition at local all-star comps. It's hard to switch between the two. Heck, lots of people struggled with the bounciness with the stage at the bandshell for NCA Nationals.

Being a high school cheerleader, I hate competing on dead floor. My HS team is fairly good too, doing level 4 and 5 stunts and tumbling. The main problem with regulating spring floors for school teams is the practice space. Even if the schools could afford it, it would have to be set up and broken down every practice. It takes us 15 minutes alone to put out the 9 panels, it wouldn't be feasible to have HS compete on spring floor.

It's hard to switch between the two. Heck, lots of people struggled with the bounciness with the stage at the bandshell for NCA Nationals.
Personally I don't think it's hard switching between the two for me but I've definitely witnessed people to got freaked out switching when we had to compete in a spring floor for HS cheer once. One girl who had broken her leg two years ago said she it was so bouncy she felt like she was going to break it again by just walking to her spots during the routine.

I wish that college practiced on spring =( I did highschool cheer on dead floor for a season and my knees are shot because of it. Now I can do standing tucks on dead floor and that is about the only thing I can do if I want to be able to walk the next day =/ not to mention that I think tumbling on dead floor is just plain terrifying!

Has others have posted, the cost of spring boards. Schools rely on tax payers money, and when taxes get cut school funding gets cut. Their are always fundraisers. Plus the setting up, you really just need to have a gym where it can be put up and left up. Not unless the school can afford to rent some time at a All-Star gym. But I think spring boards for all cheer is the way to go.

Back