What if what were doing isn't cheerleading, what if it is something else? (serious)

Discussion in 'Discussing the Cheerleading Industry' started by King, Jun 25, 2010.

1. powerXbaby

powerXbaby Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    on a more serious note, it could just be called allstar, cut out the cheer part, since this is what most of us refer to it anyways.

2. cheerislove8

cheerislove8 Best Overall Female Poster On Every Thread :)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Well if we got rid of the name "cheerleading" we can't call it allstars because what about high school cheer? That shouldn't be allstars. And almost every sport has "allstar" teams.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. cheermommaRN

cheermommaRN Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yeah but then all the level 5 teams would have to go to Karolyi's for summer camp and get yelled at by Romanian coaches!

4. hopskipandjump

hopskipandjump I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Um. Have you ever seen the Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders. They do more than just dance.

5. hopskipandjump

hopskipandjump I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    You are making a lot of folk's points right here on keeping part of the name "cheer" in the new word to describe competition cheer. Sideline cheerleaders (high school, college and rec) very often compete. Is what they do so different from your competition only cheerleader? They do have rules and regulations, and except for the cheer part, all elements are the same.
    My vote is most definitely _______cheer or cheer________.

6. Mclovin

Mclovin Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yes, someone pointed that out to me after I posted this. :) Needless to say, I will be checking that out once my girls get a little older. :) My oldest CP always says she wants to do cheerleading as her job. Maybe she can actually make that happen. :eek:)

7. hairflip

hairflip Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    Ok, here is the way I see the aspect of "Changing the name" I see it the same as when a woman gets married. She changes her name to be PROPERLY recognized and receive many of the Perks that come along with it (along with tradition and MANY MANY MORE). She is still the same person.
    "Competitive Cheer" as we see it now will still be the same "activity" but could receive the "perk" of being recognized as a SPORT if "Competitive Cheer" had a different name. That is my take on the "name change"

8. King

King Is all about that bass Staff Member

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    fierceboard
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Verified Member:
    King Harrison
    Georgia Tech Coach
    Nice analogy

9. clueless

clueless I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    My vote would be for...

What we do is called Allstar.

It is plain, simple and a familiar word. Even this forum is named Allstar. Look at how many posts in this thread already refer to what they do as "allstar"

It keeps the history of where it came from, as the name evolved from Allstar cheer. And eventually, the name will evolve to mean an athletic sport that combines elements of many different different sports and evolved from cheer.

10. threeorfourx123

threeorfourx123 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    i think we should all come up with a name to call "all star cheerleading" even if its something random so it will be renamed and people will think twice

11. powerXbaby

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    point being that we're trying to separate school cheer and allstar cheer.

Every other sport has "allstar," most call it something different, but I see no difference between school baseball and league baseball except where it is practiced. baseball is baseball, basketball is basketball, and if it's a pro sport, its called professional baseball/basketball etc...

difference being that high school cheerleading (sideline) and allstar cheerleading are completely different. can they even be called the same thing? true that SOME school teams compete, but ALL school teams sideline cheer, and I'm not sure about most schools, but at the high schools around me, you have to tryout SPECIFICALLY for competitive if you want to compete.

12. Andre

Andre Batman at Justice League

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    USASF
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    USASF Core Safety Official
    I'm talking about separating sideline cheer from competition only cheer, not just all star cheer. Competition cheer as mentioned here includes college teams like Maryland and Oregon.

13. powerXbaby

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    do those teams require a separate tryout for their competition team?

14. mdcheerdiva

mdcheerdiva I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    For Maryland they recruit their girls at clinics and camps that they hold or girls who want to be on their competitive squad can send in a skills video. They also have a walk on try out in Sept I believe to fill any remaining spots. Most girls that don't make the comp team are invited to be on the spirit squad.

15. soFIERCE08

soFIERCE08 I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    i think that there are 4 different types of cheer right now
    teams that only sideline
    teams that sideline and the compete
    teams that only compete
    and then the "cheer" teams like dallas cowboys

so really, i think it should be like this
    teams that only sideline are called sideline cheerleaders (thats what they are doing. leading cheers)
    teams that sideline and compete are competition highschool cheer (they cheer, but they still compete)
    teams that only compete are called either allstar or sport cheer (it has cheer elements-stunting,tumbling,dancing, but it has more of a sport aspect)
    teams that only dance are called dancers or songleaders