High School When Does Your Season Start Up?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 2, 2011
my team already ended last month and we're starting conditioning and stuff already... its all year round for me. when does your high school team start?

We had tryouts right after nationals so the girls still had their tumbling skills. Then they are all but ordered to take it easy for a month and a half. Then we start optional tumbling, and practices once a week. We start with 2 a days after the 4th of July and go full swing from there!

Girls need a time to heal their bodies. If they don't, thats when you start to get repetitive injuries to ankles, knees, backs, and so on. The problem is, there is no limit on the season. So since other teams start practicing a week after nationals is over, other teams have to do the same to keep up. Its an endless circle.

This will be my first year coaching and we don't have tryouts until the end of July.. I hate it! Football is in August so that's less than a month to get in shape and prepare for games... it's crazy to me. I don't know if the school system has some sort of policy against practicing before August 1st or something, but it would at least be nice to hold tryouts before summer so I could hold some type of summer workout, or at least "highly encourage" it! I guess these are things to consider if I coach there for multiple years.

My high school team's season finishes in the middle of March and then tryouts are beginning of May.

We ended the week after nationals (February 13th) and we had tryouts on March 8th. It was a little early for us, but we have 2 week long spring break and thats when it fell, so that was tryouts! They did get those 2 weeks off but we've been going full force since! A high school near us tried out the last week of February, which I couldn't imagine, but I guess its not like ours was much later!

After nationals we had tryouts at the end of march, and in the middle of april we started stunting clinics along with tumbling once a week. We stop practicing around the end of June and we come back end of August for cheer camp!

Our football season runs first week of September through mid-October (2 games per week.) We compete in December/January. We did not use our bid to nationals this year, so the girls had optional tumbling in January/February. We do tryouts in late March and begin practicing for camp right away. We don't have summer practices other than three days of camp. So, a "season" would be late March through February, with the summer off.

just found out were having try outs the end of the month and some conditioning through june then 2 weeks off in july and then were into the gym again an starting football cheers, its crazy

Our county is the only on in our state that considers Cheerleading a sport, so we cannot have tryouts till the 1st of August, like all other fall sports. All the other counties in our state consider it a club activity, so they have tryouts in the spring and work through the summer. I see that as a disadvantage to our squads when we compete, because all of the other schools have been working longer. That gives the squads just 3 weeks before football starts.

we ended last week of april and had trys a week later. were on our second week of practice already! so Year around.

Our county is the only on in our state that considers Cheerleading a sport, so we cannot have tryouts till the 1st of August, like all other fall sports. All the other counties in our state consider it a club activity, so they have tryouts in the spring and work through the summer. I see that as a disadvantage to our squads when we compete, because all of the other schools have been working longer. That gives the squads just 3 weeks before football starts.
that must be annoying because your not getting as much time as all the other teams have been practicing! :(

First practice for the younger kids was May 1st! But the gym i'm moving to didn't have a worlds team so it was about a two week vacation :)
High school- Last game in November, Banquet in March, Tryouts were all last week!

that must be annoying because your not getting as much time as all the other teams have been practicing! :(
It is super annoying. It also does not give the girls much time to bond. Would love for them to do something over the summer, or before school lets out, but as it is, they practice almost every day in August. And our coach is the head of the Social Studies Dept at our school so her time is limited. Lots of cancelled practices last year.

Back