High School When Does Your Season Start Up?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We are in NC too. In our county, we cannot have tryouts until after school is out. There have benn problems where girls make the team before school is out and then they don't make the grades. So, they have to be removed from the team. Its a mess. Our tryouts are sometime in July, altho they STILL have not told us when. Its a real pain in the %*& to try and make vacation plans when you don't know the tryout dates. But oour school treats us like 2nd class citizens anyway.

If you can't have tryouts till August or after school lets out, are you allowed to have a meeting with anyone interested in trying out now? Then you could hand out a packet of workouts and stretching for the girls to do between now and tryouts, that way they have something-even if it's on them to do it.

We have info online for prospective athletes, but it just goes over guidelines and what the requirements are to be on the team, and what is expected of them, and estimated cost. I wish we could do more, and I don't know if it is because of the Coach or the rules mandated by the County/State. In the two years we have been involved, I have seen many areas that can be improved, and I hope to avail myself to the Coach to help out more. I think her time is so limited we just get what we can.

we have tryouts the first week in June, which is late in our area but we started optional tumbling classes one day a week in the middle of April that will run up to tryouts.
We have one day a week optional, but highly encouraged practices through July (can't make them mandatory)
Preseeason starts in the middle of August where we have 2 a days and go to camp
And then our game/competition season runs through the first weekend in March.
They get about a month and a half break between our last comp and when optional tumbling starts.

KY state rules allow us 2 weeks for tryouts in April/May and then conditioning/workouts can begin June 1, a 2 week "dead" period June 25-July 9 and then season officially starts July 15- March 31.

We have info online for prospective athletes, but it just goes over guidelines and what the requirements are to be on the team, and what is expected of them, and estimated cost. I wish we could do more, and I don't know if it is because of the Coach or the rules mandated by the County/State. In the two years we have been involved, I have seen many areas that can be improved, and I hope to avail myself to the Coach to help out more. I think her time is so limited we just get what we can.
If it's the county I'm thinking of it's because of the rules mandated by the county. Not the state or the coach. The county can set its on rules and if the county sees cheer as a sport then like all other sports, they can't tryout until late July-early August,usually not until August 1st. My county is like that too and I can tell you all the cheer coaches at the high schools hate this rule.

Got back from Disney today, tryouts are Saturday and last for 6 days over the next two weeks!![emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they're talking high school, lol.

Oh that's great news then, it doesn't apply to my kid because it's no where near time for her to be in highschool!!

I actually wish on the tap a talk app I could block out college and high school discussions, because I never notice where they are from and I definitely won't have anything to add to those discussions!!

Thanks for pointing that out! Oops!!

And just so I add something to the discussions all schools down here have already had tryouts like a month ago! I don't know when they started practicing though:/

Oh that's great news then, it doesn't apply to my kid because it's no where near time for her to be in highschool!!

I actually wish on the tap a talk app I could block out college and high school discussions, because I never notice where they are from and I definitely won't have anything to add to those discussions!!

Thanks for pointing that out! Oops!!

And just so I add something to the discussions all schools down here have already had tryouts like a month ago! I don't know when they started practicing though:/

Lol. High school Will be here before you know it so start preparing now.

I know what you mean about not always knowing what forum you're in

ETA: when you open a post in the app, scroll up to the top and you should see what forum your in. I often forget to look despite knowing this. [emoji20]

We had conditioning start up in early febuary and conditioned once a week every week until tryouts which were the last week of march. We had our fist practice last monday and we will practice twice a week until school lets out. We have camp the first week of June this year and then we have practices until dead period.

I remember reading an excellent article on Cheerleading Daily (a WordPress cheer blog) about the importance of having an off-season. I'd post it here if I were on a computer.

Back