High School Where To Go For Tumbling Instruction

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Babs

Cheer Parent
Jan 29, 2011
My cp is taking tumbling classes at an allstar cheer gym. We're looking to get her some private lessons as well. Would it make sense to take her to a gymnastics gym for that?

If she is taking tumble classes at an all-star gym why not schedule private with one of the coaches at the all-star gym?

My only problem with going to a strictly gymnastics coach is that it will take longer to get a certain skill and may even set your cp back a couple skills.About 7 years ago when I switched from tumbling at a cheer gym with cheer tumbling instructors and went to a gymnastics private ,the guy I worked with wanted to perfect my backhandspring. Dont get me wrong Im all for perfection but I had been doing my backhandspring for over 3 years and all he wanted to fix was the way my fingers were apart when I bhs. I thought it was a little excessive and at that point I should have been working on more running tumbling and stuff rather than making sure my fingers were together. I didnt stay there long and I cant speak for every gymnastics coach. A lot of instructors probably arent like that but I do know that they will spend more time on certain skills instead of moving on. That being said strictly gymnastics coaches are good for making sure your form is correct and can really helo with the fundamentals such as a roundoff, backhandspring, tuck, layout,etc. They are just more technical and precise. Check to see if gymnastics gyms around you have a specific cheer tumbling class or cheernastics. Good Luck!

If she is taking tumble classes at an all-star gym why not schedule private with one of the coaches at the all-star gym?

I could and can. The coaches are difficult to pin down for a time - I know it's cause they're schedules are busy/full. I don't know tumbling at all - but I've heard and seen that gymnastics tumblers are really solid in their skills. I'm wondering if my cp would get more out of privates with a gymnastics coach or if it would be counter productive combined with the allstar tumbling class she's already taking.

Is there another allstar gym in your area? I have to agree with SandRae. gymnastic coachs are very strict with perfection before progression. This is not to say you cant get great tumbling instruction from a allstar cheer gym. Gymnastic gyms have very different teaching methods for tumbling.

GL

As a cheerleader, I personally feel much more comfortable with cheer coaches. And in terms of skills i went to a gymnastics place for about 3 years and did not get my back handspring. Once I switched to a cheer coach I started doing it on the floor in about 2 months. Also when i go to a gymnastics coach I feel like im being talked down to because im a cheerleader. Im sure thats not every where but overall I love doing privates with a cheer coach so much more than a gymnastics one.

Cheer coaches are much more practical. They understand sometimes you just need to throw it. However with Gymnastic coaches, they want to perfect everything. Also, All Star coaches are focused more on the tumbling aspect, while gymnastics coaches are usually more trained with bar work and beams...etc. I tried a new class about a month ago with a gymnastics coach, UGH! It was awful, at the time I was working standing tucks, guesd what I did? Round offs. All star gyms all the way.

From having both many years of gymnastics experience, and a few years of cheer experience, i would say at least maybe try out the gymnastics coach and see how it goes. yes gymnastics does have a lot to do with how well the skill is performed, thats not exactly a bad thing. having good form, and executing it well will help later on when you are learning more difficult skills. Sometimes its not always about how quick you can get a skill, but how well you have it and how consistent you are at it.

Some gymnastics gyms offer "tumbling for cheerleaders" classes. These classes basically work backhandsprings and tucks and skip walkovers and all of that. I learned my handspring in 5th grade in a class like this pretty quickly.

I think that perfection of skills is very important before progression so i think gymnastics is probably the best way. Not saying it can't happen, but with cheerleaders only being able to get to a double full (instead of the crazy intense stuff gymnasts do) there is probably less of a chance of injury with the way gymnastics teaches the skills.
Maybe try going to a gymnastics gym and talk to the tumble coach about where your cp is and ask if instead of starting at the basics that he/she has mastered, just starting at the skill level they're at now

I say get the best of both worlds and if you have a cheer coach that has gymnastics experience go with that coach. I cheered for 13 years and did gymnastics for 10.

Some parents don't like taking privates with me due to the fact I do work a bit more on perfection than getting the skill and moving to the next skill. Many kids struggle when you get a skill, it's not strong, and move to the next skill the week after. I have some kids who started working with me a year and a half ago and have completely surpassed many of the other kids by two or three levels due to perfection of the first few skills and the proper technique of your body positions during tumbling. Progression is key.

Ultimately, it's up to where you feel comfortable and will get you the most out of the class or private. Try both and see which one is best for you. Talk to that coach and tell them that you need to have a specific skill...as long as it's in reason :)

Although cheerleading and gymnastics appear to be a lot alike, i find that the techniques and ways gymnastics coaches have taught me things in the past have been far different than what i had always known and learned from cheer. So if if your daughter is committed to cheerleading and passionate about the sport then i.m.o. it's best to get taught by those who coach the sport, not a similar one.

I have taught gymnastics forever. Gymnastics is taught differently, body form and perfecting prior skills is stressed more. You may learn a different tip that may help you to get a skill though. All coaches are different in the way they teach whether cheer or gymnastics. Find what fits for you/your cp.

I have taught gymnastics forever. Gymnastics is taught differently, body form and perfecting prior skills is stressed more. You may learn a different tip that may help you to get a skill though. All coaches are different in the way they teach whether cheer or gymnastics. Find what fits for you/your cp.
That's what I love about gymnastics instructors. Are certain tiny details like finger placement actually important for cheerleaders, though? I can see it being important for a gymnast for beam, but should it be a concern for cheer?

Back